impossiblelove

how old is too old?!? (buying a used reserve)

in the process of putting together a first rig. every $ counts at this point and I'm currently stalking for a used pdr126 in the classifieds. my question is, how old is too old when considering this purchase? is a 15 yr old pdr too aged to consider? i know it is dependent upon use, care, etc, but what is the lifespan of one of these? anything more "unsafe" about a 15-17 y.o. reserve as opposed to a 10 y. o. one?

in the process of putting together a first rig. every $ counts at this point and I'm currently stalking for a used pdr126 in the classifieds.

It's too small so the question is moot.

Either you weigh over ~110 pounds and the wing loading is too high or you weigh less, should have a larger main canopy because smaller canopies are more sensitive to control input, and want a reserve matching its size.

my question is, how old is too old when considering this purchase? is a 15 yr old pdr too aged to consider? i know it is dependent upon use, care, etc,
but what is the lifespan of one of these? anything more "unsafe" about a 15-17 y.o. reserve as opposed to a 10 y. o. one?

The age should be fine, although after 40 repacks (13 years if it didn't sit in a closet for a fraction of that and was jumped year-round instead of seasonally with two repacks a year not three) it's required to go back for an inspection and you'd want to have that happen before you bought it.

Not noting on the size but i treat my rig as it saves my life every time i jump from a plane.... (as it does save my life every time).

What would you risk your life with is the answer...

I lock my rig up at home so no one can get to it...

If you were going to war tomorrow, would you buy a 15 year old gun or bullet proof vest?

Just my 2 cents, i am sure if a rigger said it was okay, it may be okay, but its also what your comfortable with... When you need to pull that reserve a single hesatation could also mean life or death...
Cheers

Jon W

At 115 lbs you should still be looking for a 150-160 reserve. Your exit weight is 140 and if you are that still you might be needing to add lead to fly RW with people and if that is the case then your loading will be going even higher.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The age doesn't matter that much, aside from the number of repacks and reserve rides done on it as noted earlier.

However it is a very dumb idea to buy a reserve smaller than the smallest main you're comfortable landing. I know, I did the same when I was starting out (and a lot lighter): spectre 150 @ 75 jumps @ 1.0 WL and a techno 128 reserve.

Boy was I glad I only ended up on that reserve after 300ish jumps, and I still broke my nose landing it. And that reserve has more flare than a PD126R.

I know smaller people have trouble finding a small rig. But hoping you have hundreds of jumps before having to use your reserve isn't smart.

Anyway these days you have the option of a smaller packing reserve, which in your case if you're set on that rig I would DEFINITELY go for. So forget looking for an older cheaper PD126R and start thinking about buying a (probably new) PD Optimum 143, would be my advice to you. The $$$ of breaking something or worse doesn't come CLOSE to paying a couple more bucks for a smarter size reserve.

Of course ask your rigger first if it'll fit in your rig, as you didn't mention what exact rig you're putting together.

Edit: I forgot about the lead :$ If you're planning to do RW, plan on having to wear (a lot of) lead and figure that into your canopy choices. Just for giggles, try adding 12kg/26lbl (the max I jump with) of lead to your exitweight and see what happpens to your WL.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Not noting on the size but i treat my rig as it saves my life every time i jump from a plane.... (as it does save my life every time).

What would you risk your life with is the answer...

I lock my rig up at home so no one can get to it...

If you were going to war tomorrow, would you buy a 15 year old gun or bullet proof vest?

Just my 2 cents, i am sure if a rigger said it was okay, it may be okay, but its also what your comfortable with... When you need to pull that reserve a single hesatation could also mean life or death...

age does not always translate into quality
my container is 12 years old. my main is 15 years my cypres is 8 years old - I certainly don't feel like I am taking any shortcuts.

and since you brought something other than parachutes into the apples to ballbearings comparison - there are guns that people use on regular basis that are 2+ decades old and are as good as new due to the fact that they are regularly and properly maintained.

Yes but new guns have better designs and all the latest gadgets and gismos. Also you didn't buy it 15 years old, so you know you've taken care of it... I am just saying a few extra dollars for a pice of mind...

I still dont think i would take a 15 year old gun in to IRAN or anything even if it was well taken care of.
Cheers

Jon W

Hold on, you are confusing me. Are you buying a gun or parachute gear ? Like i said earlier - if you compare apples to ballbearings you may find some slight inconsistencies.

For shits and giggles take a look at student gear at 10+ dropzones, and then look at their safety reccord, specifically how many times their gear failed to work (not to be confused with their students failing to think).

I have a 17 y/o PDR in my one of my rigs that I have complete confidence in to save my life. It cost me $550.

I just bought a OPT for my new rig because I like how they fly and gives me more nylon over my head for the same pack volume. The OPT was over twice the $ of the PDR.

I could afford the new nylon, but have no concerns with jumping the PDR.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm gonna agree with the others who say that the reserve is too small for you. But that's up to you. Now you can't say that you thought it was okay, if you get hurt.

But I don't see any problem in a 15 years old PDR. I've never heard of any problems with PDRs of that age. My previous reserve was a 143 from 94, I think, and I trusted it fully.