quade

OTTAWA - SDC Continuing Coverage-- Press Clips

I don't think it is really fair to play the sarcastic joker when things happen to other people then cry foul when it hits home

I never have liked things like the Darwin Awards.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, Steve's family was upset after his death, and his folks were whuffos. The pain evolved into anger - a natural progression in this situation. You can explain to a whuffo all you want, but it will fall on deaf ears. I do not have any issues with a family member that is upset for losing a loved one - the displacement of anger feels logical for them.

The issue here is the media intentially digging up someone in the past they know will give a negative quote just so it looks like the did research. Just more irresonsible, sensationalist journalism.

Judy this is NOT directed at you but the thread in general.

Why do skydivers constantly whine about the media rather than doing something positive like directing them to a place where they can get the correct information?

For instance, I've just sent off a batch of notes to CNN and AP about the inaccuracy of Nelson being the Captain of the U.S. Olympic Skydiving Team. We all (should) know there has never been such a thing. I referred them to USPA headquarters about the subject.

If a news outlet puts the reporter's contact information at the end of a story, I usually make a point of including it in my quotation of the story just so that folks might be able to refer the reporter to a more official and hopefully accurate source of information.

Whining does nothing.

Paul, I left SDC on Saturday about 10 minutes before the accident, to go to a family barbeque. When I got home quite late I ignored a message on my answering machine, and went straight to bed. I listened to the message the next morning (Sunday). The message was from a Peoria newspaper looking for information. At that time I didn't know that there had been an accident, and it sure wasn't a nice way to find out. I declined to return the call.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm "whining" because even when they have the FACTS they don't print them or they put their own "take" on the situation. Like Aggiedave said, its personal experience.

I fought with the USPA over a published incident report that was wrong. They never reprinted the correct one.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

exactly..even when contacted BEFORE they run a story, if the truth doesnt read as well, guess which version gets aired? :S

it sad that i almost wish you could press charges for inaccurate reporting when they were given the opportunity to publish the facts instead...of course that would employ more lawyers and that wouldnt be good either..

I wasn't saying you personally, Dave, but you have to acknowledge that it has been discussed in the forum before, with a mocking tone. I also agree with Quade on the issue of the accuracy of the article and our responsibility to help the situation rather than just point fingers at the media.

If you pretend to be a whuffo for a minute and look at it, there are lots of things that don't appear to make any sense. That applies to this situation in particular, or our sport as a whole.

If I gave you a pen and paper, 30 minutes and an assignment to cover the death of a famous physicist, do you think you could do their life, their work, or their fellow physicists an educated and unbiased accounting reflective of their accomplishments? Take into account that some of the people you interview may have had grudges against him that you don't know about. You don't know enough about the subject to know fact from fiction. Now say that you have to do that about new subjects every day, with time pressure to get it done in a hurry.

I'm not saying the press is blameless. But if we collectively want to see the problem, part of that involves looking in the mirror. In this incident, the most negative quote comes from another skydiver. If we relearn one of the golden rules, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all", we'd be a lot better off. It is one thing to look for answers in the Incidents forum or such, but another completely to sling mud. To clarify, I'm not referring to you as one of the mudslingers, but we, as a sport, have used the press to air our own dirty laundry and as a means of furthering grudges.

If we could get ourselves together, act responsibly and not give out false or unsubstantiated information, the media would end up giving better reports. They'd have to, because they would be getting better information from us. It won't cure everything, but it can help. It also helps to call them on their errors. A few reporters won't care, but most will.

Paul, I left SDC on Saturday about 10 minutes before the accident, to go to a family barbeque. When I got home quite late I ignored a message on my answering machine, and went straight to bed. I listened to the message the next morning (Sunday). The message was from a Peoria newspaper looking for information. At that time I didn't know that there had been an accident, and it sure wasn't a nice way to find out. I declined to return the call.

Well, I doubt they just started calling up people at random. Your presence on the web and affiliation with SDC may have drawn some attention to yourself, but I take that as a "good" sign in that they had been doing some sort of research.

There were basically two "correct " responces to this and you chose one of them in simply not answering for something you're not responsible for. The other "correct" response would have been to call them back and simply refer them back to an S&TA at SDC.

Yes, it would definately suck to find out about the accident this way, but this is frequently the way people of note find out about things before they're published.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

it sad that i almost wish you could press charges for inaccurate reporting when they were given the opportunity to publish the facts instead

You can it is called libel. But you have to show the negative impact of the statement and prove it is not true.

libel is next to impossible to prove, particularly when the damage is "only" the appearance of our sport to the rest of the world..kinda hard to show personal loss in most of these situations..

it sad that i almost wish you could press charges for inaccurate reporting when they were given the opportunity to publish the facts instead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can it is called libel. But you have to show the negative impact of the statement and prove it is not true.

You also have to prove they knew it wasn't true and show a malicious intent. Libel is hard to make stick. If people have trouble pinning charges to the National Enquirer, think of how hard it is to do against a newspaper that generally attempts to report the news correctly.

Why do skydivers constantly whine about the media rather than doing something positive like directing them to a place where they can get the correct information?

Thank you, Paul. Excellent information in your post.
Skydiving is for cool people only

If people have trouble pinning charges to the National Enquirer, think of how hard it is to do against a newspaper that generally attempts to report the news correctly.

I agree, and however distasteful the statement was, it is a statement of opinion. To me there is nothing inaccurate about that.

But, this is a time of mourning for everyone and not a time for a fairly petty argument, Just my humble, not even worth 2 cents, opinion.

I saw that the Chicago Tribune has an article about what happened in the Metro section. In my opinion it seems a bit more professional than some of the examples by the local papers in this thread. At least they went ahead and also contacted USPA....
I wanted to include a link to the online version, but i guess you have to register to the online edition of the trib to do so.

Tomas

Terry (aka Tandem Terry from rec.skydiving aka "Tantrum Terry" by his detractors) has posted here previously. I believe he's been asked not to post here due to his personal attacks.
quade -

Dave,
They did not quote someone acting like an expert in the field, they quoted a Father who had lost a son to something he does not understand. And remember, he feels his opinion is valid also.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

***If we could get ourselves together, act responsibly and not give out false or unsubstantiated information, the media would end up giving better reports. They'd have to, because they would be getting better information from us. It won't cure everything, but it can help. It also helps to call them on their errors. A few reporters won't care, but most will.

Agree 100%
Which is why there should be only one designated person...
Familiar with the situation being reported on, of average or above intelligence...
Designated to represent the Dropzone in any consultation with the media.

Unfortunately,
Too many people that don't fit into that description, are craving their 15 minutes...
And if what they say...accurate or not, will make good copy.
They'll run it.
Absence of malice, the media has no further concern.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Which is why there should be only one designated person...
Familiar with the situation being reported on, of average or above intelligence...
Designated to represent the Dropzone in any consultation with the media.

I'd add to that the requirement that they be able to negotiate and deal effectively with people. You can't just announce "these are the facts, now go away and STFU." A relationship really helps here, or at least a non-antagonistic approach.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Actually, any large facility should have at least two of these types of people trained and prepped to go in front of cameras at any moment in case one of them is not available, on vaction -- whatever.
quade -

Nelson was captain of the U.S. Olympic skydiving team in 1982.

Guess they got it mixed up with the Nationals 1982 and the Demonstration Team who skydived into the Seoul Olympics Opening Ceremonies in 1988. :S Both of which Roger was on.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

olympics_skydiving.jpg

http://www.pjstar.com/news/regional/g157106a.html

Mourners to skydive for dead owner
Memorial jump will honor Ottawa facility’s Nelson

June 10, 2003

By JESSICA L. ABERLE
of the Journal Star

OTTAWA - Mourners will remember Skydive Chicago owner Roger Nelson, who died Saturday during a skydiving exercise, with a memorial jump at noon Monday.

According to the Skydive Chicago Web site, the memorial service for the 48-year-old jumper is slated to begin with a memorial jump at noon. Services will follow at 1 p.m.

"Everyone is invited to attend and stay as long as you wish," the message, posted by Nelson’s daughter Missy Nelson reads. "Appropriate dress would be appreciated, show your colors, wear the SDC logo or that of your home DZ (drop zone). So DZ casual is what you should wear.

"And business has resumed."

According the Peoria County Coroner’s Office, an autopsy performed Monday indicated Nelson died of multiple internal injuries after another jumper collided with his parachute Saturday about 50 feet above the ground in rural Ottawa.

Nelson died at 5:27 p.m. at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria about three hours after the collision with Todd Fey, who suffered a broken leg and has since been released from Ottawa Community Hospital.

Toxicology results will not be available for a couple of weeks, but there was nothing preliminary to indicate drugs or alcohol were involved, a deputy coroner said. said. An inquest will be scheduled at a later date.

A receptionist at Skydive Chicago, in rural Ottawa, said the operation would remain open, with Nelson’s children Missy and Matt Nelson probably assuming control. Missy Nelson serves as event coordinator for Skydive Chicago.

Nelson’s death was the 14th since Skydive Chicago opened in 1993, with 10 deaths occurring in the past five years. The fatality rate has been as high as eight times the national average.

quade -