scottd818

BIG BOY jumpsuit????

I recommend you search the forums for this topic. It comes up about monthly, there have to be about 50 threads on it.

Scrub through and look at options on the suits - it's hard sometimes with everyone advertising a certain brand rather than just the suit design itself.

Short answer - full size grippers, full set of grippers, double/triple layers, comfy fit (but not sloppy), material type has surface drag to consider. Last resort is gimmicks (but some people need them no matter what - swoop cords for example). Also tunnel time for technique, and talk to your suit maker and see what they recommend - if they don't get too fancy, then they are giving good advice - if they are, then they are scamming you for $$$ with gimmicky sounding "features".

Remember, you have to be able to fly your body - you don't want a sloppy fitting suit throwing you around the sky. But there is only so much a suit fit can do for you.

My wife makes something called the "Big John" for fast fallers (RW) - most suit makers likely have something that does the same job. For FF, she really leverages multi-layers in the legs and arms.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd call up the various suit manufacturers and talk to them. Each will tell you the various ways they add drag.

That said, I'm a big boy too, and I've had great successes with Tony Suits. Tony just knows how to build suits for good fall rates.

My most recent suit was a Merlin suit, and it was a complete disaster, and I had to suggest improvements during the rework. Merlin does not know how to make a good slow-suit for big boys.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Deepseed Multispeed Suit. Ask them to make it extra baggy. Great suit; well made, lasts forever. Buy one with dark colors because they don't fade. I have 2 of them and they work. I am 6'0" and weigh 240 and I use mine for AFF instruction.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Yep. Play with the searches.

I'm about 245 with gear and had Tony Suits make me my last four suits. The most recent one has layers of material with 0-P in between the two outer layers. It made a huge difference. I also have swoop cords on it but have only used them once and don't really need to.

Other people have had excellent results and customer service from other companies but the folks at Tony Suits have gone out of their way to work with me and I appreciate that so they will probably make my next suit too. I can't comment on the other companies but I can say that Tony Suits has made me suits that help me to fall slower.

Also, I liked playing with the suit designer on the website. If you don't buy one from them, you can use it to give you ideas the color scheme you want to have. The ones on some of the other sites are pretty basic if they have one at all.

What everybodys recomendation for a jump suit for me. Im 6'2" and 245 and i fall fast. Want something that will help slow me down.

Yeah, yeah - that was mostly in jest. However there was also a point to it. Over the years I have known more than a few guys that could be much better skydivers if they just shed a few pounds.

They all say the same things - "I'm just really muscular". Yeah, uh me too.;).

Yes there are suits that can slow people down, but I have yet to see one that can do so significantly without causing some kind of problems.

I speak from experience, too. When I started jumping I weighed about 210. At 5'9", that was pretty heavy. Of course I was just really muscular, but the suit I had to wear was flying me.

Now at 180 I wear a slick suit and sometimes even slap on a bit of weight if I'm in the base on a big way.

I think some of the "muscular" guys would be surprised just how much slower they fall by losing even just 20 pounds or so.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Fucking fat boy :D

Well, as a mesomorph body type (large frame size) at 6'6" tall can easily fly at my off-season weight of 250-260#. Which is now an acceptable weight even for the military: http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_hw_uscg,,00.html

But, I do have to agree that when I get it down to 235 (losing 15-20 pounds), don't have to "think" about flying and can just "do it."

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.