lilchief

Paracommander work drawings

pchapman

They are an accepted method, but fair enough. You get big long canopy dumped out more or less all at once. Bag vs. sleeve used to be one of the debates back in the day I hear...

I have jumped PC's in a long sleeve, short sleeve and a bag. I'll take the short sleeve over the others...much better deployments. I'll take reliability and easy openings over a small reduction in bulk/weight.

I have a couple thousand jumps in a PC in a bag, side packed in a nylon bag. No mals or hard openings. If you are worried about hard opening put a leather wrap on it like a Delta II. Photographers use to use them. I had cascaded, short lined mine too. I used one center line, down to a cross connector. I'll have to see if I have pics. I think with a french felt seam you won't need the seam tape. PC construction kind of followed military spec. We use to take the lines out of cheapo's and jump them without canopy falilure. Cascaded the line of them too. Find a Starlite and check its construction.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I have a US Pap that came in a Strong Stylemaster with a POD bag. Never a problem with openings

that way. Once, on a lark, I put it in a Army pack (for an MC1-1B) and static lined it at low speed out of a Cessna. It knocked my socks off. Both ways were bagged but I guess the SL attached to the bag made the difference.

I'd like to jump it again with a modern piggy-back rig and a square reserve.

Tom McCann

RiggerLee

I've got 375 yards of red f-111 setting in the corner, tape, and a lapseamer. If you send me a copy of the patern set I'll crank one out between ballutes.

Lee

I just thought I 'd add this in case it has any relevance:

But does the MC - 3 have any resemblance to the old PC?

Cause I thought the specs for the MC 3 are public domain?

C

They kind of look similar...I don't know though....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I have jumped a Paracommander Mark 2 modified (two holes cut in the rear) for about 60 jumps without any malfunctions. When I bought my first parachute, a US Papillon, I put on it about 100 jumps without malfunction. I got my first mal with my Stratocloud.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

winsor

Frankly, if on a big way I would prefer it if everyone had PCs than 2:1 loaded crossbraces. I have lost too many friends to canopy collisions - and still have the scars from my own - and would like to load the dice a little more for survival, but that's just me.

There were a couple of guys that had Paraplanes back in '71 & '72 in V-Mills but they had to have another canopy if they wanted to do RW due to the forward surge on opening. All of us round jumpers were afraid of them. Come to think of it, we were afraid of anyone who was into style or accuracy anyway.

Hi,
I just got a 27" RPC, 1972 in great shape. It has a sleeve, I am looking for a bag or POD for it. Any ideas? I used to jump one with a POD 1973-5, no problems. Also any ideas where I can get pack opening bands for the Pioneer 3 pin it came with?
Thanks,
Van

vanair

Hi,
I just got a 27" RPC, 1972 in great shape. It has a sleeve, I am looking for a bag or POD for it. Any ideas? I used to jump one with a POD 1973-5, no problems. Also any ideas where I can get pack opening bands for the Pioneer 3 pin it came with?
Thanks,
Van

I think you mean feet, not inches.

http://www.paragear.com/advancedSearchResults.aspx?id=0&keyword2=pack%20opening%20bands&searchType=ALL%20Keywords&SearchSpecificField=0&SearchContent=0

P.O.D.s are easy to build. PODs are just large deployment bags with a extra flap. PODs are also the most reliable deployment device for Para-Commanders. Every Master rigger has seen a few d-bags. Start by asking your local Master Rigger if he still has a #8 grommet-setting die.
The rest of the dimensions can be extrapolated from the container and photos. Ideally, you would provide an old POD for him to copy.

Hi van,

I didn't think para gear would still carry pack opening bands

I have not looked their website.

I would think that if you used a main pilot chute based upon the RW-37 spring ( the spring used in the Vector II/III pilot chute ) you would not need POB's.

I know of at least 3 companies that build p/c's using that spring.

Jerry Baumchen