AndyMan

Vector 2 RSL

I'm trying to figure out this 1993 Vector 2. I'd like to 'put back' an RSL that was removed.

It has both the large RSL ring, and the small velcro patch on the number 5 flap, however there is no sign of the velcro on the reserve riser, nor a channel over the shoulder of any sort. The cuttaway housing is complete, there is no split housing.

A friend is telling me all Vector 2's with RSL's require a split housing, but there's no mention of this in the manual.

So, a few questions for the historians. 1, can Vector 2's have RSL's without the collins lanyard? 2, was there a time when Vector 2 RSL's didn't have a velcro path over the shoulder?

Thanks,

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm trying to figure out this 1993 Vector 2. I'd like to 'put back' an RSL that was removed.

It has both the large RSL ring, and the small velcro patch on the number 5 flap, however there is no sign of the velcro on the reserve riser, nor a channel over the shoulder of any sort. The cuttaway housing is complete, there is no split housing.

A friend is telling me all Vector 2's with RSL's require a split housing, but there's no mention of this in the manual.

So, a few questions for the historians. 1, can Vector 2's have RSL's without the collins lanyard? 2, was there a time when Vector 2 RSL's didn't have a velcro path over the shoulder?

Thanks,

_Am

I don't recall the V2's having split housings/collins lanyards. That was brought about because of the skyhook. The RSL should be routed over the yoke, next to the reserve riser on the wearers right side, then thru the ring. You probably need to get the reserve ripcord too as IIRC the marine eye on it had to mate with the RSL which actually had the pin.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Support/Manual/Vector_II_Manual.pdf RTFM :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks. The manual says to route the RSL along its velcro path - but there is no velcro path. Or... are they just referring to the velcro that's on the riser covers?

There should be a path down next to the inner side of the reserve riser. I don't have a V2 handy to send a pic (shoulda asked 2 hours ago when I was at the DZ!)

ETA: I believe it's a very similar routing on the V3's with RSL/skyhook. The pile on the yoke is routed the same way, IIRC.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

There should be a path down next to the inner side of the reserve riser. I don't have a V2 handy to send a pic (shoulda asked 2 hours ago when I was at the DZ!)

On this rig, there's not. That's what's odd.

Hmm.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

On this rig, there's not. That's what's odd.

Hmm.

_Am

Sounds odd, but could've been removed by someone who just didn't annotate it on the PDC. Weird that they left the ring on the top flap though.

Ya should call the rigging dept at UPT and ask them about putting it back on, probably something a master rigger can do. If ya run into Betsy up there, ask her.

Of course Betsy was the first person I asked. :) Pablito was my second, but UPT is closed on Fridays.

_Am

Just curious, the large ring is on the right side of the flap, correct?

There are a few V2's floating around that were modified under an FAA approval for a more 'normal' type RSL with the ring on the left side of the flap.

ETA: This is the set up, and yes, it is misrouted. :S[:/]B|

I'm pretty sure it should be right where that double row of stitching is on the yoke, outside of the riser cover flaps.

I agree. It looks like the pile velcro was removed leaving that double row of stitching around the yoke. It looks like who ever did it didn't do a thorough job.

Also if you order a new Vector today and ask for no RSL I don't believe they will sow on any velcro.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Thanks,

_Am

Hi,
if you would like to replace the RSL removed, this is the system (see attached file)
http://www.skymik.it

Of course Betsy was the first person I asked. :) Pablito was my second, but UPT is closed on Fridays.

_Am

Just curious, the large ring is on the right side of the flap, correct?

There are a few V2's floating around that were modified under an FAA approval for a more 'normal' type RSL with the ring on the left side of the flap.

ETA: This is the set up, and yes, it is misrouted. :S[:/]B|

This repack of the 'RSL is dangerous, incorrect,
the ring of 'RSL must be placed between the fixed ring on the flap and the housing
http://www.skymik.it

That vaguely resembles some of the Vector 2s retrofitted with RSLs by Ray Ferrel, up in Davis, California.

However, there are two problems with that photo.

First the rigger never finished hand-tacking the ripcord housing. Hand-tacking should extend all the way up the brass ferrule, to prevent the RSL ring from snagging on the end of the ripcord housing. Better yet, sew a piece of Type 4 tape onto the #5 flap and hand-tack the housing inside the tape ala. Talon 1 an dTelesis 1.

Secondly, the ring should be between the RSL guide ring and the end of the ripcord housing.

Hint: read the Talon 1 manual or Telesis 1 manual from Rigging Innovations.

Vector 1s and Vector 2s were never fitted with Collins Lanyards.
Collins Lanyard is only needed when a Skyhook is installed: read Vector 3.

It is possible to replace the 1/2 inch wide strip of hook Velcro over the right shoulder, but it is a difficult sewing job, best done by a Master Rigger who has already repaired a lot of Vector 1 and 2 containers.

The official RSL configuration on Vector 2 is routed over the right shoulder. The RSL terminates in a "figure 6" pin.
Figure Six" pins come in several different configurations.
The earliest "Figure Six" pins were bent from steel wire and the loop was brazed shut. I cannot remember if RWS used the first pattern.
The RWS used "Figure Six" pi9ns stamped from sheet steel, in at least two different thicknesses.

Most recently, UPT uses forged "Figure Six" pins on Sigmas and military freefall containers. If you have a choice, order the latest, strongest, forged "Figure Six"pin.

First the rigger never finished hand-tacking the ripcord housing. Hand-tacking should extend all the way up the brass ferrule, to prevent the RSL ring from snagging on the end of the ripcord housing. Better yet, sew a piece of Type 4 tape onto the #5 flap and hand-tack the housing inside the tape ala. Talon 1 an dTelesis 1.

I'm pretty sure it was hand tacked all the way to the brass ferrule.

Secondly, the ring should be between the RSL guide ring and the end of the ripcord housing.

I know it's routed wrong, I said so, sheesh!

I took the picture to show someone it was routed wrong, that's how I ended up with the picture!

:)
This setting of the V2 RSL approved by the FAA is NOT APPROVED by RWS/UPT at any time. it was FAA approved for Ray Ferrell from Action Air Inc. in Davis CA.

THE only WISE & PRO way to put back the RSL system on the V2 is ordering the KIT from UPT - is has the 9/16" Ty.1 tape with both sides velcro the SS shackle & the SS pin without the old style welded steel pin.

:( Also as you said there is a rigging error by setting the RSL lanyard ring in between the reserve pin & the flap guide ring which might lead to bent the reserve pin during the cutawy & falling forward & create a total malfunction of the reserve container.

Cheers

This setting of the V2 RSL approved by the FAA is NOT APPROVED by RWS/UPT at any time. it was FAA approved for Ray Ferrell from Action Air Inc. in Davis CA.
Cheers

But the question is : "If it's approved by the FAA, but not from the manufacturer, is it ILLEGAL" :S

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

As Mel said it could be legal if all paperwork is done BUT it is NOT APPROVED - does the FAA did tests before giving the approval ???

Being legal does not mean it is smart / safe to do it because it was not design, tested & approved by the Mfg., the right side RSL system on the V2 was design for a reason after R&D by the Mfg. - no reason to do different all time the Mfg. have a ready to set "Retrofit Kit"

Also that FAA approved RSL is NOT covered by the Mfg. manual & you need to follow the Mfg. manual when I&R the h/c.

Only Ray Ferrell holds the FAA approval for that left side RSL for the V2.

I hope that make it is to see it right.

Cheers

Hi Shlomo,

it could be legal if all paperwork is done BUT it is NOT APPROVED

It is legal & approved by the FAA.

does the FAA did tests before giving the approval

The FAA has the absolute authority on this. They can do what they want to do. Who knows, maybe Ray ran some tests for them.

Do you know he didn't?

Do you what testing RWS did before they added it?

If so, enlighten us.

JerryBaumchen