browncow

reserve PC to bridle connection

I'd hate to see a problem down the road caused by overtightening the barrel on the slinks. ;)

There are no barrels to tighten on PD Slinks.

(But he should still get a rigger to look at things)

Pretty sure that was a joke. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Cheers for the replies guys. As I said I am getting it packed up this weekend and will go over everything with my rigger. Just was curious about the bridal/pc attachment and the only reason I asked was it was the only thing I needed to know that was NOT in the manual. Cheers again;)

I have had plenty of customers insist that they can "legally" assemble their new: reserve ... main ... pilot-chute ... Cypres ... etc.

I quietly smile and nod.
Once they have left, I hang the gear up and do a full inspection.

IOW skydivers "helping" do not save me any time.
Hah!
Hah!

I have had plenty of customers insist that they can "legally" assemble their new: reserve ... main ... pilot-chute ... Cypres ... etc.

I quietly smile and nod.

Hah!
Hah!

Yep and I fully respect the fact that your job is to do a FULL inspection, and my job is to know as much about my gear as possible.

For what its worth, assembling the various components as per the manual is not rocket science and so long as you don't snag lines on hook velcro, or pick at the lines it is my opinion that there is far more to be gained for a newish jumper doing this than leaving it to a rigger.
Why not hook up my own reserve?

Because you'll learn better with a teacher than you will on your own.

In Rigging, the fine details are important. Some of the steps in the manual are clear, but other steps assume you have some background knowledge that someone new to the sport will not have.

You've probably done everything right so far, but if you keep trying to learn everything on your own, you'll probably come to a time where you make a small mistake. Those small mistakes have big consequences.

This is not a sport where you should be figuring things out on your own.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

AC 105-2D:

13c. Assembly of Major Components.

The assembly or mating of approved parachute components from different manufacturers may be made by a certificated, appropriately rated parachute rigger in accordance with the parachute manufacturer’s instructions and without further authorization by the manufacturer or the FAA. Specifically, when various parachute components are interchanged, the parachute rigger should follow the canopy manufacturer’s instructions as well as the parachute container manufacturer’s instructions. However, the container manufacturer’s instructions take precedence when there is a conflict between the two.

Also, something I find interesting is the wording kinda sounds like so long as it's TSO'ed it is possible for a rigger to 'mix and match' parts. Only for TSO-C23d though.

(c) TSO-C23c components may only be used in situations where they are mated with the same components with which they were originally certificated, unless they are retro-placarded by a Service Bulletin (SB) or other notification identifying the maximum forces
generated during testing. These forces could then be applied as in TSO-C23c.

(d) TSO-C23d components may be mixed or matched with other TSO-C23d components by comparing the harness forces placard to the canopy force placard and certifying the weight and speed of the lower of the two placards.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>Why not hook up my own reserve?

Sure, you can. You might even learn something about how your rig is put together.

If you do that, though, expect the initial assembly by a rigger to take the same time or longer (i.e. cost more) because they may have to reassemble it and check that you didn't do any damage or lose any parts.

I quietly smile and nod.

Hah!
Hah!

Yep and I fully respect the fact that your job is to do a FULL inspection, and my job is to know as much about my gear as possible.

For what its worth, assembling the various components as per the manual is not rocket science and so long as you don't snag lines on hook velcro, or pick at the lines it is my opinion that there is far more to be gained for a newish jumper doing this than leaving it to a rigger.

I have seen quite a few minor and major rigging errors , but here's one that I think is relevant to your case.

I got a complete rig from a 20+ year veteran of the sport, 5000+ jumps, S&TA - basically a very credible and heads up person.

When I got to taking his rig apart, he had his PD main slinks hooked up wrong. Instead of taking the loop and feeding it under the tab and then hitching it over, he just simply placed the loop over the tab. The canopy was a sub 100sq ft crossbrace.

So, if someone hands me their rig and it's partially assembled, I ain't putting my name on it until I have verified every component to 100% satisfaction. In case like yours it would take about the same time, UNLESS an error was made, in which case it would take longer and you would subsequently have a larger bill.

"

...I got a complete rig from a 20+ year veteran of the sport, 5000+ jumps, S&TA - basically a very credible and heads up person.

When I got to taking his rig apart, he had his PD main slinks hooked up wrong. Instead of taking the loop and feeding it under the tab and then hitching it over, he just simply placed the loop over the tab. ...

"

Sounds like he was following the instructions published by Parachutes de France when they first introduced re-usable soft links (circa mid 1990s).

He would have been wiser to follow instructions published by Performance Designs.

... another case where a little knowledge is dangerous!
Hah!
Hah!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Just to be clear, I am not assembling my gear to save my rigger time:S I am doing it to learn about my gear. I am quite aware that he will go over everything and may pull the lines off the risers and reassemble them. I am not fussed about that.

I certainly wouldn't take my gear to him again if he simply grabbed my gear and repacked it without checking everything out first.

Why shouldn't you? Because you don't know what you don't know.

Watch, help your rigger do it. And see if he knows what he doesn't know. (reads the manual)

I encourage everyone to watch their reserve packed at least once. That being said it's a pain in the butt for riggers.;) I used to tell people they were welcome to watch but they'd get a better pack job if they didn't because I wouldn't be distracted. I told that to a new skydiving girlfriend once and she promptly replied "I'll just watch you pack someone else's.":D

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I quietly smile and nod.

Hah!
Hah!

- - - Sign in the Auto Shop...
Labor Rates:
$75.00 per hour.
$100 per hour if you watch.
$150 per hour if you help.

B|B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Thanks for all the replies guys. Just to be clear, I am not assembling my gear to save my rigger time:S I am doing it to learn about my gear. I am quite aware that he will go over everything and may pull the lines off the risers and reassemble them. I am not fussed about that.

I certainly wouldn't take my gear to him again if he simply grabbed my gear and repacked it without checking everything out first.

I like customers who are interested enough in their equipment to see exactly how it works. I don't mind when they bring in their reserves already assembled. Of course, I'm going to verify it's done correctly. And I don't mind when they bring in other work they've done to see if they've done it right. I think customers like that are more likely to be safer jumpers (risk management for me!), they are more likely to be repeat customers, and they are likely to bring me other new business.

Mark

I like customers who are interested enough in their equipment to see exactly how it works. I don't mind when they bring in their reserves already assembled. Of course, I'm going to verify it's done correctly. And I don't mind when they bring in other work they've done to see if they've done it right. I think customers like that are more likely to be safer jumpers (risk management for me!), they are more likely to be repeat customers, and they are likely to bring me other new business.

Mark

Well, I took my rig to my rigger for its first pack and when he saw I had assembled it he frowned a little;) but carried on with a full inspection of everything.

When he was done with the repack he told me I was the first he could remember who had brought gear to him assembled and done it all the right way:)

Well, I took my rig to my rigger for its first pack and when he saw I had assembled it he frowned a little;) but carried on with a full inspection of everything.

When he was done with the repack he told me I was the first he could remember who had brought gear to him assembled and done it all the right way:)

Excellent...good on you!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

so on the subject, the riggers that are participating in this discussion.........

how do you guys feel about inexperienced skydivers asking you a bunch of gear questions and being asked to watch you hook up slinks, and probing you with questions about gear setup........??

are you generally happy to help explain stuff to people?

after this whole discussion i am definitely gonna take all the components to a rigger here, (i just pieced together a rig with all seperate components) and have him work the magic, but i would like to learn to hook up slinks and i have quite a few questions about how my reserve is packed! i just dont want to be annoying.......
gravity brings me down.........