propilot

UPT Delivery Time; Anyone want to give up their slot?

I have a Vector and I have a Mirage...

Mirage is quoting 6-8 weeks.

I would say - buy a Mirage. Both UPT and Mirage are great rigs, but I think the delivery time for the Mirage, plus some of the "fit and finish" quality issues, makes Mirage my favorite rig. My current Mirage rig has over 1000 jumps on it and people says it looks brand new. I honestly love it, and I can't say the same about my Vector with a list of issues I dislike about it...

I honestly love it, and I can't say the same about my Vector with a list of issues I dislike about it...

Mind going further into detail?

Only thing I'm not a fan of on the Vector is the pickyness of the reserve bulk distribution, if done wrong, it fits like a brick around the yoke.. Mirages are for whatever reason known as being hard to get to look good, I don't have any issue with it, but I learned very early on my Mirage how to get it to look good.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I honestly love it, and I can't say the same about my Vector with a list of issues I dislike about it...

Note - my rig is 8 years old, but I purchased it new at the time. Some of these things have been fixed in newer rigs. Issues:

1) The tuck-tab main pin cover stiffener needed replacing.

2) No matter how hard I try to take bulk out of the ears of the reserve, the main riser covers will never stay shut.

3) The fabric tabs that cover the risers on the side of the reserve tray are never flat, no matter how hard I try to put them in the rig to "get a memory". They slide out and have a bit of a hump, which is not aesthetically pretty.

3) I have had to replace binding tape and stitching in areas more than once. The stitching started unraveling early on as if it was not locked at the end of the stitch.

4) I have the "lightning bolt" design and the red and black fabric never lined up between seams and tabs. It is 1/4" off here and there thus it does not look as cool as it should.

5) The rig lacks padding, thus is like wearing plywood. I know they added this in recent years, but they were not cutting edge on comfort.

6) The serial number tag stitching was off at time of manufacturing, so part of the tag pulled out of the stitching and started to fray.

7) The main hacky handle showed wear much earlier than expected.

8) My first set of risers were built incorrectly, such that the toggle would stick in the brake line on deployment and require two hands to release the line from the toggle. After a few jumps I contacted the factory and they sent me a new set of toggles admitting they had a new person who placed the bar tacks in the wrong spot, and missed it in quality control. They were awesome to admit fault and fix it free of charge, but I had 30 jumps at the time and was confused why I kept having malfunctions.

9) My rig was delivered two weeks later than the quoted date.

Note - you can say, "well that is an older rig" or "all rigs have wear and tear" or "maintenance is always required." However, as I said in my first post, I have twice as many jumps on my Mirage as my Vector and it looks brand new and has had zero maintenance and I never have had to try to pack it a special way so that tuck tabs will stay closed, etc.

All that being said, the new Vectors are damn fine rigs too, but because I like the Mirage so much, I would not wait 6 months for a Vector when I could have a Mirage in 1.5. I would wait if the quality was much better, but I think the quality is the same or worse, so why wait?

Only thing I'm not a fan of on the Vector is the pickyness of the reserve bulk distribution, if done wrong, it fits like a brick around the yoke.. Mirages are for whatever reason known as being hard to get to look good, I don't have any issue with it, but I learned very early on my Mirage how to get it to look good.

FWIW. Ive never had a problem packing a Mirage and making it look good. Covering everything with a flap sure helps ! Wings and Javs on the other hand can be an absolute BITCH trying to get the ears to lay in nicely with the cap and not have a wrinkle.
I find newer exposed cap rigs usually come back for a loop adjustment about once a cycle (depending on use) for a loop adjustment.

now back to your regularly scheduled program:)

The reason I want the UPT rig is for the Skyhook.

I have owned two custom order rigs, one Mirage and one Wings. I liked both. I would love a new wings but...no skyhook. I think the added safety of a skyhook is worth it.

I think Javelin offers skyhook too right? But Ive read reports of riser cover issues when freeflying. I have no idea if this is a real issue or not, but since they are about the same cost and really not that much faster delivery time....

I have never jumped a UPT rig, but with the skyhook, and considering who makes them, I figure its a solid choice. The wait time is painful though!

I start jumping on March 1st, so no matter what I do I will need to pick up a used rig in the meantime.

Note - my rig is 8 years old, but I purchased it new at the time. Some of these things have been fixed in newer rigs. Issues:

1) The tuck-tab main pin cover stiffener needed replacing.

2) No matter how hard I try to take bulk out of the ears of the reserve, the main riser covers will never stay shut.

3) The fabric tabs that cover the risers on the side of the reserve tray are never flat, no matter how hard I try to put them in the rig to "get a memory". They slide out and have a bit of a hump, which is not aesthetically pretty.

3) I have had to replace binding tape and stitching in areas more than once. The stitching started unraveling early on as if it was not locked at the end of the stitch.

4) I have the "lightning bolt" design and the red and black fabric never lined up between seams and tabs. It is 1/4" off here and there thus it does not look as cool as it should.

5) The rig lacks padding, thus is like wearing plywood. I know they added this in recent years, but they were not cutting edge on comfort.

6) The serial number tag stitching was off at time of manufacturing, so part of the tag pulled out of the stitching and started to fray.

7) The main hacky handle showed wear much earlier than expected.

8) My first set of risers were built incorrectly, such that the toggle would stick in the brake line on deployment and require two hands to release the line from the toggle. After a few jumps I contacted the factory and they sent me a new set of toggles admitting they had a new person who placed the bar tacks in the wrong spot, and missed it in quality control. They were awesome to admit fault and fix it free of charge, but I had 30 jumps at the time and was confused why I kept having malfunctions.

9) My rig was delivered two weeks later than the quoted date.

Note - you can say, "well that is an older rig" or "all rigs have wear and tear" or "maintenance is always required." However, as I said in my first post, I have twice as many jumps on my Mirage as my Vector and it looks brand new and has had zero maintenance and I never have had to try to pack it a special way so that tuck tabs will stay closed, etc.

All that being said, the new Vectors are damn fine rigs too, but because I like the Mirage so much, I would not wait 6 months for a Vector when I could have a Mirage in 1.5. I would wait if the quality was much better, but I think the quality is the same or worse, so why wait?

Well conversely, My Micron is also 8 years old and has a thousand jumps on it, and i have had NONE of those issues.
The only issue i has was just after purchase, the monkey fist was built around a ping pong ball, which crushed. I told them, they replaced it with a solid core monkey fist.
No problems what so ever with the rig since then.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't get it. I just got my 3 bdrm house built in 5 months and put take 6.

How many other houses were those workers building at the exact same time as yours?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How many other houses were those workers building at the exact same time as yours?

That is kind of illustrates the point... Not enough resources to be nimble enough to meet customer's expectations of reasonable delivery time.

Either the workers are overworked, the factory is not big enough to hire more staff, or the assembly line process cycle takes too long for every station, or they don't want to risk "ramping up" more staff in case of an economic downturn.

Sure, one person can hang drywall in only one house at a time. But a fully staffed contractor can hang drywall in 300 houses at the same time with enough crew members.

That is kind of illustrates the point... Not enough resources to be nimble enough to meet customer's expectations of reasonable delivery time.

Either the workers are overworked, the factory is not big enough to hire more staff, or the assembly line process cycle takes too long for every station, or they don't want to risk "ramping up" more staff in case of an economic downturn.

Sure, one person can hang drywall in only one house at a time. But a fully staffed contractor can hang drywall in 300 houses at the same time with enough crew members.

Y'all need to stop bitchen, about shit
Go to the UPT FB page and check out the new factory they are currently building.

They advertise their lead times openly, if it's not to your liking buy somerthing else.

You either want a Vector or your dont.
If you do, STFU and buy one,
If you dont, STFU and buy somthing else.

bunch or whiney bitches
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think someone is having their periods

No ones really bitching, but we do think it's a shame that their rigs are good but product delivery time so slow. I think squeak might be taking this a bit personally. No need for the Argo and telling everyone to stfu. It's a forum. U don't have to like every comment on here squeak. Calm the f..k down. Ctfd squeeeeekky. FYI squeak . U posted a f..king essay bitching about things u didn't like about the rigs yourself. Don't worry, be happy.

No ones really bitching, but we do think it's a shame that their rigs are good but product delivery time so slow. I think squeak might be taking this a bit personally. No need for the Argo and telling everyone to stfu. It's a forum. U don't have to like every comment on here squeak. Calm the f..k down. Ctfd squeeeeekky. FYI squeak . U posted a f..king essay bitching about things u didn't like about the rigs yourself. Don't worry, be happy.

Boring
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

a bit hypocritical to bitch about how someone else shouldn't be bitching, don't you think ?