Unstable

Diaper on Para-Innovators RS-1

Riggers,
Has anybody have experience with an early/mid 80's? A local pilot has a Para-innovators RS-1 Canopy with a diaper design I am generally unfamiliar with, and I have dug through all available resources for the proper packing instructions. Could anybody help point me in the right direction?
=========Shaun ==========

Could anybody help point me in the right direction?

1) You could try sending a PM to mjosparky here on dropzone.com, he may have a manual.

2) Think hard on whether the gear is air-worthy before packing it; no offense.

What kind of container is it in?

Are you sure you don't mean an R2-1 canopy by Para-Innovators?

2) Think hard on whether the gear is air-worthy before packing it; no offense.

Point taken and considered, Thank you.

I actually found the information on page 30 of the FAA Rigger Manual. Interesting design, it's even different than a National/Piglet style diaper.

Yes, I do mean R2-1..Sorry.

Hi Unstable ( aren't we all :P ),

Para-innovators RS-1 Canopy with a diaper design

Is that their flat full-stow diaper with the lines stowed parallel with the skirt that they licensed to Security?

JerryBaumchen

PS) Photo, while not showing much, is a 26 ft Conical with one installed.

Yup. That's it. Thank you. This rig is a mid-80's canopy in an almost brand new Container ~ very interesting. I'm not committing to packing it or returning it unpacked, but I do pln on throwing it on my table this evening and giving it a fair shake.

t I do pln on throwing it on my table this evening and giving it a fair shake.

Torture it with 1" square clamps set 3" apart!

But how "light weight" is the canopy's construction?

I tend to use a Phantom as a comparison -- a canopy that one might consider to be around the lower end (above or below it) of acceptable construction solidity, regardless of what the sometimes dubious TSO testing showed the limits to be.

I tend to use a Phantom as a comparison -- a canopy that one might consider to be around the lower end (above or below it) of acceptable construction solidity, regardless of what the sometimes dubious TSO testing showed the limits to be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Phantom evolve out of the R2-1 design (I think I read that in Poynters while looking for the diaper design)? Personally, I just recommend Strong End Lo-Pos to Pilots... maybe someday we'll have a commercially reliable source for New C-9's!

Hi Unstable,

. . . I love . . . you, Jerry.

OK, let's not go there. :P

Actually, that rig is a brand new pilot emergency rig.

I had made a few 'substantial' changes to the design & wanted to know how things would work.

And I wanted some photos & video for marketing purposes.

But I'm usually glad to share what I have if it will further knowledge for people. IMO that is what the internet is for.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I do need to start clearing out the closets. [:/]

Hi Michael,

Great posting. A lot of good knowledge in those attachments.

I did not know about the last variant of Hank's diaper, with the stows in-line with the radial tapes. Good to know.

That diaper ( the first one shown in the patent dwgs ) is also being used by Parachutes de France for one of their pilot rigs.

I have been working with Strong Enterprises about putting my version of the Asciutto diaper on their Mid-Lite canopy. Right after the PIA in Reno last year they sent me a canopy & I installed the diaper on it and sent it back to them. They wanted this configuration to do some testing on their canopy. Things have sort changed with the death of Ted; I should contact them again about this project.

The idea is to reduce the 'concentrated' bulk that Strong's current diapers produce when packed into back-pack pilot rigs.

There are some other oft-time posters on here who also are in favor of Strong going in this direction.

JerryBaumchen