ljg

Shipping Vigil2 to USA (from Canada) - What to put on item description?

Hi,

I'm just about to ship my Vigil2 to the USA to have it installed in a new rig there.
My question is, what should the item description be on the package so US Customs doesn't hickup.
I know that Cypres tells you to call it:
"HTC 9014.20.8080 - Aeronautical Navigation Appliance".

I'm thinking that would apply to the Vigil2 given that it does the same job.

Has anyone shipped these things *into* the USA and called it something else (skydiving safety device, parachute component parts) and had it go through OK?

Thanks!

I ship to the US all the time...the Harmonized Tariff Code won't affect the duty as the device was not made in USA so NAFTA doesn't apply. As for customs "catching it", odds are good they will anyways, so I'd call it what it is, be ddescriptive. I recommend something along the lines of "Electronically controlled Parachute Deployment device". DO NOT SAY DETONATOR/GUN POWDER OR ANYTHING SIMILAR.

Basically, as long sa you don't call it "bomb", "rifle", "terrorist", they won't give a damn. Duty will be calculated based on the declared value. If it's under $60 value, no duty will be charged, over $60...expect to pay about 15% duty. Also, calling it a gift changes nothing if you declare it as being over $60.

Good luck!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I think the point is that if someone is transferring something permanently, the new owner in the new country pays taxes on the full value.

But if I send something worth $5k to the US for repair, nothing is paid because its still mine. When it gets shipped back, I pay tax on the $200 of work that gets done, not the total value of around $5k.

(E.g., if my Cypres 2 goes in for service from Can. to the US, SSK pays no tax on it. When it comes back to me, I pay tax only on the work done, not the original purchase price or current value of the Cypres.)

So a few rigs will cross the border labelled "repaired, returned to owner, value $200" when that's not quite the case.

Edit:
We do also have to be careful about "tax" vs. "duty". Actual duties are rarer, what with US-Canada free trade, but can come up with items from other countries.

E.g, I once had a Paragear order coming into Canada assessed a bunch of duty as customs noticed some non-US origin for parts. I was able to convince them that most of the stuff was probably US made, and they dropped the duties, although I told them that a couple T-shirts were from Haiti and Honduras or some such places. I still have no idea what actually should have had duty paid on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I just want to somehow make this clear to US Customs, that *my* Vigil2, is going to the USA to get some "work" done on it (installation into *my* new rig).

I think I will end up sticking with "Aeronautical Navigation Appliance", as it is a designation in their books.

If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to pipe up!
Thanks to all who replied so far.

Hey Peter,

Customs doesn't typically give a damn. Like I said, I've validly tried the "warranty repair" method and they charge you regardless. You can however usually get it reversed if you can prove that you already owned the device, or already paid duty/taxes etc. They'll charge you regardless 99% of the time, then make it your problem to prove otherwise.
"When once you have tasted flight..."