theonlyski

UPT Magnetic riser cover release test.

I was asked via PM by a curious master rigger about the release forces on the magnetic riser covers of my Vector3. He asked me to do a test and let's face it, I'm unemployed so I don't have much else to do currently. :D

Testing parameters:

There are 3 different positions the riser covers can be in, closed correctly (IMG_7485), side flap over the center (yoke flap) (IMG_7487) or yoke flap over the side flap(IMG_7486) . Each would be tested.

Fish scale that seems accurate enough (hanging packing weights off of it gives me about what I figured it would and so forth), holds high peak as well.

Fish scale was put on the link end of a ty-17 riser (used front riser as that's the one that would be in contact with everything) (IMG_7488)

Riser was placed under the secondary riser covers, main tray was open (simulating bag just lifted off).

Surprise test at the end. :)

Test 1- riser covers closed properly

Pulled up and away from container, scale shows ~5lb when riser has cleared the riser covers.

(IMG_7489, 90, 91)

Test 2- Side flap over yoke flap

Scale shows 1-2lbs

(IMG_7495, 96)

Test 3- Yoke flap over side flap

Scale shows 3-4lbs.

(IMG_7492, 93, 94)

My findings are consistent with Bill Booth's claim of ~5lb to release. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVRSIicQDk&feature=autoplay&list=PL319CC6B47C776892&lf=results_video&playnext=2)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What make, model is that hand-held tester? It looks like a nice one.

"Made in China" seems to be the only indicator on it.

It's crappy, but it does the job pretty well.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Were you testing any specific theory? Did the results match your expectation?

_Am

The individual that asked me to test them was worried that the RSL would have a hard time opening the cover after the risers came thru it and not activate the reserve properly.

I expected the results would be similar, just didn't think I could pull the entire riser out of the channel with a piece of seal thread!

Were you testing any specific theory? Did the results match your expectation?

The individual that asked me to test them was worried that the RSL would have a hard time opening the cover after the risers came thru it and not activate the reserve properly.

I expected the results would be similar, just didn't think I could pull the entire riser out of the channel with a piece of seal thread!

Am I interpreting the numbers correctly then in concluding that you have decisively debunked that malfunction theory? The pull forces you're talking about are about the same as pulling a trigger on a firearm, which isn't much force at all. And if the risers release that easily, then the chance of a hang-up from them is remote. Is that correct?

[reply
Am I interpreting the numbers correctly then in concluding that you have decisively debunked that malfunction theory? The pull forces you're talking about are about the same as pulling a trigger on a firearm, which isn't much force at all. And if the risers release that easily, then the chance of a hang-up from them is remote. Is that correct?

I pulled a riser thru the cover with a piece of seal thread. That was with the riser secured properly, if the main is out and the risers have unstowed, the amount of pressure it takes to re-open the risers in the folded methods (test 2 and 3) was significantly less. If your RSL can't open the riser cover with <5lbs of force, there's something else going on.

The RSL misroute malfunction with the skyhook that I tested opened the risers too, and that's pulling straight thru the harness ring vs pulling UP which opens them even easier.

Without any further data or test scenarios, I believe that with the magnetic riser covers, they won't inhibit your risers from deploying or your RSL from doing its job.

theonlyski

[reply

I pulled a riser thru the cover with a piece of seal thread. That was with the riser secured properly, if the main is out and the risers have unstowed, the amount of pressure it takes to re-open the risers in the folded methods (test 2 and 3) was significantly less. If your RSL can't open the riser cover with <5lbs of force, there's something else going on.

The RSL misroute malfunction with the skyhook that I tested opened the risers too, and that's pulling straight thru the harness ring vs pulling UP which opens them even easier.

Without any further data or test scenarios, I believe that with the magnetic riser covers, they won't inhibit your risers from deploying or your RSL from doing its job.

Have you considered testing riser covers from other rigs? I think this comparison woud be quite valuable.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Skydivesg

Have you considered testing riser covers from other rigs? I think this comparison woud be quite valuable.

I hadn't, basically because the scope of the original request was the Vector3 magnetic riser covers that close back after the risers pass thru them. Tuck tab and snap riser covers would likely be out of the way.

I don't have any other rigs with magnetic covers laying around my house to test with, nor do I know off hand who does.:)

theonlyski

Have you considered testing riser covers from other rigs? I think this comparison would be quite valuable.

I hadn't, basically because the scope of the original request was the Vector3 magnetic riser covers that close back after the risers pass thru them. Tuck tab and snap riser covers would likely be out of the way.

I don't have any other rigs with magnetic covers laying around my house to test with, nor do I know off hand who does.:)
That makes sense - but I was also curious how much pull force it takes for the main to open regular tuck tabs that are on most other rigs. And if there is any significant difference from the left to right riser covers?

Just a thought. Thanks