twspahn

Custom container for left-handed deployment

New to the sport and have very limited range of motion in my right shoulder due to injury. Which manufacturers will constuct a custom container for left-handed deployment?...Is there a specific manufacturer you would recommend for this?

I'd imagine anyone would build one for leftie deployment, but the only ones I've actually seen are from Rigging Innovations. I've seen both a TalonFX and a Voodoo assembled for leftie deployment.
http://www.rigginginnovations.com

When you say 'custom' what else do you need besides a left hand main deployment? If everything else is the same, all you need is a BOC pouch sewn on facing the other way, not really a big deal, and not all that 'custom'. If that's all you need, you don't need a new container to have a left hand deployment, you can just have a rigger sew a fresh BOC on facing the left side. Truth is, a fresh BOC when you buy a used rig isn't a bad idea at all, no matter what side you need it on.

Are you good with your emergency procedures? Can you pull the cutaway handle with no problem, and with a good deal of strength?

Interesting question. Usually it just involves sewing the BOC to point in the other direction.

So I'd be surprised if companies wouldn't be willing to work with you.

Although on some rigs there would be a little bit more that has to be done, such as rigs where the BOC is built into the bottom flap (not just sewn on) or if there's a bridle channel running up the right side of the bottom flap. That's a factor that would make more work for the factory, having to reverse a couple patterns and assembly.

When I say "Custom" leftie deployment is all I was looking for, and emergency procedures are no problem. However, I've seen recommendations that a used rig may have a much less comfortable fit than one that's custom built specifically for me. If there would be a very noticeable difference, I'll always take quality over price.

When you say 'custom' what else do you need besides a left hand main deployment? If everything else is the same, all you need is a BOC pouch sewn on facing the other way, not really a big deal, and not all that 'custom'. If that's all you need, you don't need a new container to have a left hand deployment, you can just have a rigger sew a fresh BOC on facing the left side. Truth is, a fresh BOC when you buy a used rig isn't a bad idea at all, no matter what side you need it on.

Are you good with your emergency procedures? Can you pull the cutaway handle with no problem, and with a good deal of strength?

When I say "Custom" leftie deployment is all I was looking for, and emergency procedures are no problem. However, I've seen recommendations that a used rig may have a much less comfortable fit than one that's custom built specifically for me. If there would be a very noticeable difference, I'll always take quality over price.

Keeping mind that a new container is going to be 2 to 3 times the price of a used one, and you'll lose more money on the deal if you sell it without putting 500-700 jumps on it within about 4-5 years, used is generally the way to go for a first rig (or two).

Rigs are not 'custom' fit to each jumper. manufacturers have a selection of sizes, and they pick the one that closely matches your size. There are one or two areas where that can make some very small adjustments, but rigs are similar to winter jackets. If a rig was built for someone who is your size +/- an inch or two in height and your weight +/- 10 or 15 lbs, there's a good chance that it will fit you just fine, and you'll never notice the difference.

You can alter the fit of a rig with the reserve pack job. Some riggers will pack a rig that makes it tighter around the yoke, and some will pack it looser around the yoke. I'm not suggesting that it's a way to 'fit' a rig, but that it makes slight differences in harness size moot, and not worth spedning $1500 more to get a new container.

Long underwear and a bulky sweatshirt under your jumpsuit will alter the fit of a rig, but nobody has a summer rig and winter rig. It's not an exact science.

Go to the DZ, look for jumpers about your size, and ask to try on their rigs. You'll see that they all fit differently, but they all fit.

Get a ripcord deployment and then you don't have to reach behind you at all, except when you want to scratch your ass.

Bit of a thread drift I know...but I sometimes wonder if you are years ahead John instead of behind the times.

Sure seems to be a lot more right shoulder surgeries in the sport since we (most of us) have to reach backwards to pull.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Get a ripcord deployment and then you don't have to reach behind you at all, except when you want to scratch your ass.

Bit of a thread drift I know...but I sometimes wonder if you are years ahead John instead of behind the times.

It's been a long evolution getting to BOC deployments, from ripcords, to belly bands, to leg straps and finally bottom of container. And each one of those progressive changes had good reasons for them to eliminate a problem. But now that we're there, I can see some newcomer looking at where we are now and wondering: "What the hell are these guys thinking? They've got a deployment handle that they can't see, can just barely reach, and is prone to make new people roll over unstable!"

I'll stay with my ripcord, thank you, and don't mind being called an old fuddy duddy for it. :)

>Sure seems to be a lot more right shoulder surgeries in the sport since
>we (most of us) have to reach backwards to pull.

Hello bellybands!

I've often wondered if the old Sorcerer RPC location might not work well for sport rigs. Put the PC in a pouch on your right shoulder. Route the bridle along the riser channels. To deploy just reach up to your shoulder and throw it out to the side.

>Sure seems to be a lot more right shoulder surgeries in the sport since
>we (most of us) have to reach backwards to pull.

Hello bellybands!

I've often wondered if the old Sorcerer RPC location might not work well for sport rigs. Put the PC in a pouch on your right shoulder. Route the bridle along the riser channels. To deploy just reach up to your shoulder and throw it out to the side.

Not familiar with that one, I remember seeing a system years ago in which the PC was packed on the backside of the container, fitting into the lower small of the back area above the butt... with a deployment twinkie attached to the lower lat..is that the same thing?

And hey...what was wrong with ROL? Too much exposed going to the pin?? Surely we could have figured out a better cover instead of moving the whole thing outta sight! ;)

what was wrong with ROL? Too much exposed going to the pin?? Surely we could have figured out a better cover instead of moving the whole thing outta sight! ;)

People twisted in 360 degrees and had PC in tows.

That may have been the case with belly-bands, but on the rigs I've owned with an ROL ya would really have to be a dolt to twist up the leg-strap and see or feel it, not to mention with so many step-in harnesses these days I doubt it would be a significant problem at all.

New to the sport and have very limited range of motion in my right shoulder due to injury. Which manufacturers will constuct a custom container for left-handed deployment?...Is there a specific manufacturer you would recommend for this?

Some rigs have an *instructor side* deployment on the left side. Should be easy to make a conversion.
Ask a master rigger to be 100%.

BS
Jack

Some rigs have an *instructor side* deployment on the left side. Should be easy to make a conversion.

Those aren't exactly the same, sewing the pouch on the other way is much easier, and you don't have to hold on to the handle or re-route it after activation.

Also, I imagine it would be a pain in the ass to peel the velcro and pull the cut away cable, then knock the PC out of the burble/off your back.

Ask a master rigger to be 100%.

Oh, I'm only a senior rigger. :$
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"

... with an ROL ya would really have to be a dolt to twist up the leg-strap and not see or feel it, ...

"

I have stopped a couple of those dolts as they were getting dressed.
Honest miss! I was not staring at your @$$!
Hah!
Hah!

Several manufacturers will cheerfully sew a left-handed BOC.
The first time I ever saw a left-handed BOC was when I worked at Rigging Innovations. We sewed together a custom Talon for an old-time skydiver whose right shoulder got shot up during Viet Nam War.
Last month, I converted a BASE rig to left-handed BOC by gently un-picking the (nearly-new) original BOC and re-sewing it on so that the mouth faced left.

Hi Jim,

ya would really have to be a dolt to twist up the leg-strap and see or feel it,

Actually, it's quite easy: Imagine where the horizontal back strap comes into the MLW, then just flip the leg strap over the horizontal between the container & the MLW; seen it way too many times.

:S

JerryBaumchen