RevvyAiny

Any Suggestions for Prescription Goggles?

Taking AFF at my next opportunity. I am very nearsighted and can't find my glasses if I am not wearing them. I think that, rather than wrestle with contact lenses, I'd like to invest in a pair of prescription goggles. Has anyone else resorted to this option? Can you suggest characteristics I should be looking for in a product or a particular manufacturer that you find satisfactory?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Better Yet check out

http://www.adseyewear.com/

It's owned by Dave D. who is a very experienced skydiver. He specializes in prescription sports eye wear. And most importantly he will know exactly what will work well for skydiving and what wont.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I wear prescription motorcycle sunglasses. It works great- had them for the last 3-4 years and still going strong. I would stay away from skydiving goggles made with prescription because those never lasted me even more than a season. have some tight fitting preferably with some padding glasses. One thing to consider is that not all aff instructors like their students jumping tinted glasses.

Any experience with the Oakley wind-jackets.

Are they "wind-resistant" enough for skydiving with open-face helmets?

Wind Jacket or the Monster Dogs would do you fine.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Any experience with the Oakley wind-jackets.

Are they "wind-resistant" enough for skydiving with open-face helmets?

Wind Jacket or the Monster Dogs would do you fine.

Thanks! I will look into both. B|

Be aware that the more severe your near sightedness is, the more difficult it is to use wrap around or highly curved designs. If I recall correctly, Oakley won't cut lenses for frames with more than a slight curve for prescriptions -3.50 or stronger. I have greater than -4.00 in both eyes and I could only source flat frame designs from them.

The reasoning for this: you get massive fishbowling in the lenses that makes trying to see a pain in the ass.

Edit: You may want to look at Wiley-X, Revision Eyewear, or ESS as they make prescription carriers that sit between the goggle and your face. I mention these as an option as they are all approved eyewear providers for the US military and they have developed and proven these systems. Example: http://www.revisionmilitary.com/rxcarrier.html

Hi,

I have strong astigmatism and I was getting tired of the over the glasses goggles. I purchased in December a pair of Liquid (the Gasket model) with the prescription foam insert. I jumped them 10 times with an open face helmet, and I love them! Customer service and communication was also awesome.
I know I sound like a sales rep in disguise, but I'm just an average jumper happy about a new product.

Cheers.

YMMV on the Liquid inserts depending on how "very nearsighted" you are. Good company, great glasses, but as wraparounds, they face the same challenges as Oakley, etc, and are much smaller with less experience at it. See below (including my own experience):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4117376;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

YMMV on the Liquid inserts depending on how "very nearsighted" you are. Good company, great glasses, but as wraparounds, they face the same challenges as Oakley, etc, and are much smaller with less experience at it. See below (including my own experience):

I had the prescription ground into my Liquid Players and am quite happy with it. My prescription isn't very strong. I have heard anecdotal evidence the stronger the prescription the less likely you are going to be pleased with the results when using wraparound glasses.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I have two sets of RX goggles / glasses, with a strong prescription (about -7 in each eye).

I used the Adidas elevation climacool goggles / glasses with an insert for about 12 months, and they were fine, but not with the elastic strap provided. I used the 'standard' arms with a sunglasses strap, which worked pretty well. They have snap-on arms, and I had one detach on an exit once, and that was enough, because I need to see to land..

I then got a pair of Liquid Eyewear Gaskets, with an insert - I think the insert was high index plastic, making the insert a bit thinner.

I use them without the foam insert, and I am delighted with them. The lenses give me superb peripheral vision, which I have never had with any other (normal) glasses, and they are a windblocker in flat and head up orientations.

All in all, I am very pleased with the Liquid Gaskets, and they work a lot better (for me) than the Adidas glasses. They are also considerably more robust than the Adidas effort. I wouldn't consider, if getting another RX set of goggles, going down the Adidas route. Also, they look well cool, and that is very important....

Minor quibble: I found the customer service well intentioned, but fairly hapless. It all worked out in the end with not very significant hassle, and it was worth it.

Hope this helps - it's my only area of skydiving expertise... ;)

For everyones information, Liquid now offers a true goggle in that it has an elastic strap that can be put on in lieu of the traditional sunglass arms, so you can switch back and forth as needed. It is called the T-flex and can be seen [/url "http://www.liquidpolarized.com/product.html?style=15"]HERE[url]
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING