Chris-Ottawa

Ops-Core Base Jump Sport Helmet

Hey everyone,

I have been doing some searching for GoPro cameras, mods, mounts etc. and came across this helmet. It's got an NVS mount (which GoPro makes a mount for) and seems like it might be a decent helmet or the Base jumpers out there, or even skydivers. Anyone have one of these and use it for jumping? Price seems reasonable compared to most skydiving helmets nowadays.

http://www.p3maritime.com/helmets/ops-core-jump-helmet-sport-helmet.html

Please discuss!

They also sell what seems to be a chin mount strap arrangement as well. I'd assume this type of helmet may move around, but with a chin strap...much less.

http://www.p3maritime.com/helmets/helmet-accessories/ops-core-x-nape-head-loc-retention-system-chin-strap.html

Note: I am in no way affiliated with this company. I'm simply sharing to see if someone's use this, or has any comments.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I have the Ballistic and the Bump version of the OPS-core helmet and use them both for jumping. I also recently got to play with the base jump version. Its cheaper in cost but the feel between the bump and the jump is noticable due to it being a molded helmet. Most skydiving helemts are made of CF and the bump is made with CF so the feel is similar,the molded jump felt very plastic-e to me. With that said, they both come with the chin strap you mentioned and occ dial adjustment system as standard. I use the Go Pro NVG mount with my Go Pro and a contour on the ARC rail when I need to use NVGs.

With that said, jumping with a half shell isn't like jumping with a regular skydiving helmet, especially if you wear an audible. If you want a helmet that has the features of the jump/base but in a open face that can hold an audible, look at Boneheads military version called the Versa, they also make a half shell similar to the Bump(not on the website). I also have and use both of them and both are in the normal skydiver price range where as the Opscore bump is in the $600 range, BH's is made of similar materials and is in the $250-300 range. The jump is about the same/less but it is not in the same league material wise, its molded plastic and quite honestly,feels cheap. I don't see most skydivers liking or finding much use for a half shell that provides even less protection than the standard skydiving helmet but costs close to the same.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have the Ballistic and the Bump. I've never seen the Jump helmet. The harness on the Jump is the same as the Bump/Ballistic except it's designed to go under the chin whereas the original cups the point of the chin (from what I can see on the internets). All that being said, I jump both helmets at work, have done tandems in them, etc. I don't think they make a good skydiving helmet and I certainly wouldn't ever wear one on a BASE jump.
Reasons: The helmets I have are on the heavy side (The ballistic is obviously heavy and I'm not really comparing that one), the helmets don't provide as much protection (as Scott pointed out) as skydiving helmets do, the helmet is not as stable (it will rock around on your head). (I actually cut the head clamp harness out of my Ballistic and installed a standard chin strap in it, if you wear that thing for more than 30 min with NVG's on it will rip the hair out of the back of your head)... Lastly-it's a helmet based on a really popular military helmet that looks "cool" to some folks. I know a lot of military guys are carting their Ops Cores to the DZ and jumping them, I suppose thats why the company is marketing this new variant. All that being said-the $32 Protec continues to provide the same amount of protection for a lot less. The Gath gives even more, has a sweet visor and costs half what the Ops Core does. Mine has a Skysystems Quick Quad on it + two Gopro mounts. I can jump a still camera, front and rear facing video cameras on my $100 Gath with ease (Have done so on skydives, terminal and slider down BASE jumps). If your goal is to have a Go Pro camera helmet-other options exist that are cheaper. If you really want to do video-get a helmet for that. I put a full Flat Top Pro on if I'm serious about video/stills. It works better.
For enders: I would make fun of my work buddies for making civilian skydives in Ops Core helmets at the DZ on the weekend. It looks silly and there are a lot of options that are more comfortable, lighter and readily available.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Lou,

How do you find the weight balance of this helmet with your NVG's and are you using PVS14's or 15's?

My ballistic helmet (MICH high cut) balances out fine with the 15's on a cadex mount with a bit of a counterweight on the battery pack.

How ever when I want to roll lighter I have a protec setup but the chin strap doesn't keep the helmet in place enough to see properly.

Does this helmet have any mounting on the rear for a battery pack or would I have to mod it myself?

Lou,

How do you find the weight balance of this helmet with your NVG's and are you using PVS14's or 15's?

Which helmet are you referring to, the ballistic, the bump or the base jump? 15's is what I am using. I haven't worn the base jump with NVGs and I'd be skeptical of doing so seeing how it felt like cheap plastic to me. I really think its only good for a Go Pro on a NVG mount and if you did run NVGs on it, you would need a good size counter weight as it felt lighter than a old school Pro Tech to me and you'd have to add bungees to it as it doesn't come with them. The base jump also has an under chin chin strap so you know it would roll on you like a MOFO

Does this helmet have any mounting on the rear for a battery pack or would I have to mod it myself?

The base jump model has pile velcro on the back just like the other models so you could attach a battery pack and or a counter weight that had hook tape on it. The big difference is that the base jump doesn't have the Bungee cords coming out of the ARC rails and it doesn't have a military style chin strap but the base jump military version does.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Sounds like its not worth the $200 for the BASE jump version. My 15's will probably just bounce around as much as on my protec.

Can't justify buying the ballistic version as the couple of helmets I already have will do for now. I'll wait till it hits our supply to try it out.