piisfish

When rigging, please do / do not...

if the (1) card goes with the canopy, how do I know if an AD/SB was complied with on the harness container after the canopy has been swapped?

Inspect it?

If there were a card for the harness, would you assume that if the card said the AD/SB was done that it was done correctly?

Mark

If you're going to pencil whip a repack and just pocket the cash, at least put your damn seal on it...

(just looking at what I have to pack tonight)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

if the (1) card goes with the canopy, how do I know if an AD/SB was complied with on the harness container after the canopy has been swapped?

Inspect it?

If there were a card for the harness, would you assume that if the card said the AD/SB was done that it was done correctly?

Mark

Granted, most AD/SB compliance leaves tell-tales that they have been complied with when its being inspected. However, the rig owner has only the card's to go by when the item is not exposed after its been packed.

Granted a complete inspection should include all things that are on the table (or floor), but I think that the documents should indicate all work performed on the components. With the current single card system, the documentation of work performed on the harness often moves with the reserve canopy which both looses the information for the first harness and can be misleading when read in respect to a H&C to which the canopy has been moved.

I also understand that there are those riggers that routinely remove old pack data cards arguing that the only requirement is for the current work to be logged (and they want their own name/phonenumber on the card). I feel that this does the owner and future riggers a large disservice.

Just my thoughts,
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I found this (see photo below) today when popping my reserve in the loft for a repack. It jumped right out with the pilot chute, and bounced around on the carpet. It's a one-inch square neon green rubber sleeve, open on one end. I know what it is, but let's see who here can figure it out. The rigger, who is not the one who paked it previously, did not seem as surprised as I was. He just wanted a photo so he could add it to his cool collection of "things found in reserves".

Well, green means go...

Clamp tip. I hate those frikking things, they always stick to whatever they were securing or fly off and at then end of the packjob when counting your tools give you a mini-heart attack because you can't find one or two.

Looks like someone lost the rubber tip off a spring clamp.

Correct identification. And they not only lost it, they either didn't notice that they lost it, or else when they discovered it missing they didn't bother to go looking for it.

Those rubber tips should be glued on solid. And if one ever goes missing and you can't find it, then open the pack job back up and find it.

Without the rubber tips, the jaws on those clamps can have sharp metal edges that could damage parachute fabric.

P.S.
For those trying to figure out how this would have come to be embedded with the pilot chute, the rig is a Racer.

I found this (see photo below) today when popping my reserve in the loft for a repack. It jumped right out with the pilot chute, and bounced around on the carpet. It's a one-inch square neon green rubber sleeve, open on one end. I know what it is, but let's see who here can figure it out. The rigger, who is not the one who paked it previously, did not seem as surprised as I was. He just wanted a photo so he could add it to his cool collection of "things found in reserves".

It is the protective cap off of a clamp.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Those rubber tips should be glued on solid. And if one ever goes missing and you can't find it, then open the pack job back up and find it.

I have mine gorilla taped on, then made sleeves for the jaws out of some old denim jeans. Now the entire opening all the way back to the pivot has denim between the canopy and the sharp metal.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The green ones are super cheap. Take the handle side and swap them with the clamp side . I'm in a phone so can't find a link to the clamps I use, when I do use them.

I'll try to find them and edit this post in time
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ive lost a couple of those into my base packjobs. No big deal.

The rubber tip itself might not be a big deal, but more troubling is the general idea that someone is packing your last chance at life and doesn't notice that something went missing and was left inside. It could demonstrate a general lack of attention. It might just be a rubber tip this time, but next time it might be a pull-up cord, or a hemostat, or something that COULD cause a problem on deployment.

Ive lost a couple of those into my base packjobs. No big deal.

It might be a big deal.

If the tip came off, that means that the raw edges of the clamp are binding against the fabic somewhere on the canopy!

The next move would be to stop the pack job, then hang and inspect the canopy for damage from the raw edge.

Also remember that some manufacturers prohibit the use of clamps on their products.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com