ctrph8

Ratcheting leverage device

I'm looking for a ratcheting leverage device for closing reserves. I have my trusty T-bar which has been working faithfully for me but somewhere I saw a ratcheting version that was a little taller than just a ratcheting bar. The base of it formed a notched plate and the ratchet sat 3 or 4 inches above the plate. Anyone know who makes this and where I can find one?

Also, aside from the ratcheting or non ratcheting T-bars (and the molar strap with the B-12 snap) has anyone seen a really great design for a leverage device?

Works pretty well, got it built to my specs (4" plate with notch and 2 stand offs)

Only down side is it's aluminum and has a tendency to grind little pieces of aluminum off (you can see them on the gaffer tape to the left of the notch).

Not sure if it's just something that will stop after a few uses or not. Only closed 2 containers with it.

If there is enough interest, I can get the maker (who's a dz.commer as well) involved and see what he says about making more. He also has the full 12" knee plate with the same stand offs.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That looks great! Ask him if he'd be willing to do a couple more.

Having not used one, do you think it would be a better design if it were made from Stainless Steel? SS is expensive as hell and a pain to work with but strictly from a design perspective do you think it would be better in any way?

I'm looking for a ratcheting leverage device for closing reserves. I have my trusty T-bar which has been working faithfully for me but somewhere I saw a ratcheting version that was a little taller than just a ratcheting bar. The base of it formed a notched plate and the ratchet sat 3 or 4 inches above the plate. Anyone know who makes this and where I can find one?

Also, aside from the ratcheting or non ratcheting T-bars (and the molar strap with the B-12 snap) has anyone seen a really great design for a leverage device?

I bought mine from Silver Parachute Sales in California.
He calls it "EZ Close Parachute Closing Ratchet. They are a bit pricy but well worth the money when you need that third hand. I do want to make a disclaimer through. I do not use this device to close containers. I use it to hold minimal tension as I work the container flaps to the closing loop by hand. I would use extreme caution with a tool like this because you could damage gear with it.

Works pretty well, got it built to my specs (4" plate with notch and 2 stand offs)

Only down side is it's aluminum and has a tendency to grind little pieces of aluminum off (you can see them on the gaffer tape to the left of the notch).

Not sure if it's just something that will stop after a few uses or not. Only closed 2 containers with it.

If there is enough interest, I can get the maker (who's a dz.commer as well) involved and see what he says about making more. He also has the full 12" knee plate with the same stand offs.

OK... I'm guilty.

I built them to 'ski's specs; I am neither a machinist nor a rigger, just a tradesman with some resources available. I'll post some more detailed pictures tomorrow from the DZ of the 12" one I built.

It wasn't originally my intention to market them, so what you see is a prototype and they're still kinda pricey. I'm thinking about floating a few of them out there for my cost + shipping just to get feedback so I can do any fine tuning.

Stainless was a thought and certainly can be done; obviously that would run the cost up significantly. I don't know how well a stainless knee plate and an aluminum crank tool/"positive leverage device" would play together. I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

I have plenty of stock left from what I bought for the first batch I made

PM me for more details.

P.S. 'Ski... That the best you can do for a photo? Looks like one your tandem photos. ;) Thanks Bra
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure.

P.S. 'Ski... That the best you can do for a photo? Looks like one your tandem photos. ;) Thanks Bra

Ya notice I had the loop up, so I took the picture with my left hand, fucker.

I do have better pictures of it, but they're on my dz computer. I'll post them tomorrow.

Shouldn't you be getting a very 'in depth' medical so you can toss some more drogues? I'll make sure to tell the doctor you like cold hands and 3 fingers please. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

May I suggest an alternative? The alternative will leave both hands free for massaging side flaps and inserting pins?

Sew a molar strap from Type 7 webbing.
Hang an old B-12 snap in the middle.
Wrap the strap diagonally around your shoulders.
Tie the pull-up cord to the B-12 snap with two or three half-hitches.
I have used that device since before Cypri fell into fashion.
Hint: if you grind off the heads off of the rivets, it is easy to remove the gate from the B-12 Snap.

It wasn't originally my intention to market them, so what you see is a prototype and they're still kinda pricey. I'm thinking about floating a few of them out there for my cost + shipping just to get feedback so I can do any fine tuning.

PM me for more details.

That said, I'm reasonably certain someone will want to manufacture and market... and closely watch their competition. >:(
Yeah, I'm still available to PM...

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure.

Rob,

I've watched you use your strap but I've never been able to make it work. Just have never figured out what muscles to use where.:S

I've had Allen's version for many years. It works very well, is well executed and fairly compact. Allows you to use both hands to get pin through loop and or ease up on tension as you put pin in. Other versions seem less elegant and a little clunky. Don't know if Allen still has any for sale. Be ready for sticker shock. Silver Parachute Sales and Service.

I also have one of Winks bars with the 3/8''s ratchet hole in the end. Works okay but still like Allen's.

BUT you can tear a rig apart with any of these, especially ones like Allen's. I don't let student riggers use it until they've gotten a feel for the rigs and tension.

At the 1999 (or 2001) symposium the Thai air force had a booth showing a closing device. All of their military riggers were women, and small Thai women, and they had made very large ratcheting leverage device. It had four 'feet' that curved in to the grommet and the it seems the thing was a foot tall. I walked by and showed them Allen's device, which was much more compact and did the same thing and you could see all their faces drop and their shoulders slump.

I've also seen and tried a tool made using a quick clamp wood working clamp. Still find Allen's the best, especially for us old farts getting arthritis in our hands.[:/]

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I too bought one of Allen's ratchet devices when he first introduced them. I found it to be a very well made, high quality and an easy to use device. It really works good. Over time, I used it less and less, as I learned to 'work' the camopy material with my hands and putting less stress on flaps and grommets. If not used properly, as you know, they can be damaging. All in all, I'd take Allen's over any I've seen or used.

Chuck

I really like the closers that have been exhibited so far. However if you're looking for something cheap and easy to build and that works, this does the trick. I built it from a 1"x4" and a 1" ratcheting cam strap device. Total cost about $10.00. I cut a v notch in the bottom of the wood and I set it on a standard aluminum knee plate when I use it. The pull up cord is easily inserted into the slot cut for where webbing is usually fed. I also did some testing by hooking a digital load cell up to it and it generates about the same force at max pull that I can generate with a standard wood dowel wrapped around the pull up cord and pulling, so I'm not overly worried about pulling rigs apart (however I'm still very vigilant).

I ended up calling Allen Silver (who has a wealth of knowledge and was very generous with his time) and ordering one of his devices. It was expensive but exactly what I was looking for.

I'll post pics and my impressions of it when it comes in.