Cronus4

Complete Rig, what's it worth?

Hey everyone,

Looking at a rig, here are the specifics:
Mirage G4 (RSL,hacky) circa 2005
Sabre 2 210 2006 (50 or so jumps)
PDR 190 (1994 with 2 rides)
Cypres2 DOM summer 05

Any input would be appreciated. My biggest concerns with the rig are the reserve and container not fitting me...would it be worth it to make an offer for everything but the container, if so what would be a good buy?

The Cypres has a fixed price based on it's age and if it has all it maintenance checks. Go to the SSK website, they have a calculator there that will tell you the 'market price'.

The Sabre 2 with only 50 jumps (even if it's 100) that's pretty new, and going by what's currently for sale, looks to be in the area of $1500-$1700.

PD doesn't make a 190 reserve, they make a 193, and that's probably what you mean, but just make sure it's an actual PD 193R, and not a 190 reserve from another manufacturer. It's probably worth $600/700-ish.

If you're going to try and get the guy to break the rig, why make an offer on the reserve if you're concerned about the size? Why not just go for the Cypres and main, and find a reserve that fits you better?

Either way, keep in mind that for between $200 and $400 (depending on the rig) Mirage can resize the harness to fit your exact measurements. Get the serial number from the rig, and send it to Mirage along with a completed measurement form, and ask how much to make it fit. If it's not too much, you might be able to bet a better deal buying the complete rig and having it resized, and then you know it's going to fit. Then shop around for a PD-218R and sell the 193R.

You're right it is a PD 193R, I'm just concerned that it's so old, and I have the measurements just don't know if it'd be worth paying $400ish or just going ahead and biting the bullet to get a new container that will be made to my exact specs/colors.

Age doesnt say that much about if its still good or not, it depends how previous owner(s) took care of their gear. If you are not sure about its condition you might want to ask a rigger for advice/a second opinion.

My first rig was 4 year older then I was when I started ;). And why spend money on colors when you could spend it on jumptickets. Also making the harness fit your size seems like a nice option.

Parachute gear garage sale at :http://www.usedparachutes.eu

PDR 190 (1994 with 2 rides)

Your concern should be not with the age or number of jumps, but with the number of repacks. PD wants it back for a full factory inspection at 40 repacks (or 25! jumps), which a reserve of that vintage could be approaching or at... The number of repacks is supposed to be recorded on the data label on the tail of the canopy.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

The reserve has 15 repacks. To include the 2 ride repacks

Keep in mind that all reserves are inspected at each repack, and they will not be packed if they don't pass. If PD doesn't want it until it's been packed 40 times, and a rigger has inspected and passed it 15 times, I wouldn't worry about the age. My own PD reserve is a 1996 model, with a few more than 15 repacks.

In regards to the rig, if a 193 is an appropriate sized reserve for you, look into the deal and work the numbers. How much can you get the complete rig for vs. how much will it cost you to buy everything but the container. You might be able to get a 'package deal' for the whole thing that will save you the majority of the cost of a resize compared to buying only canopies and AAD, and then finding another container.

Buying new, at this stage, is rarely a good idea. Keep in mind that a 'custom' fit container isn't really 'custom'. It's not a like a tailored suit, where they build you a one-of-a-kind suit, it's more like buying off the rack where you find the 'closest' size for you, and then have it 'tweaked'. The manufacturer has a number of sizes they can choose from, and pick the best one for you based on your measurements.

There's a fair chance you're going to want to switch rigs or canopies long before you put enough jumps on a new container to make it worthwhile. Buying used saves you a ton of money up front (use it for jumps) and loses you less money at resale (use the savings on your new gear).

Try the rig on and see how it fits. Check with Mirage and get an estimate on a resize, and see how it all looks. You might even hammer the seller to split the cost of the resize with you, and you get the rig for even less.

In my opinion, Dave is pretty spot on with the pricing evaluation....

In relation to the reserve, if you are concerned about the age of the PD Reserve. For $35 you can have PD Inspect it.

The rig sounds pretty good for a newer jumper. If you get the serial # of the container, you can contact Mirage and compare the original sizing with your measurements (Barring any harness adjustments after leaving manufacturer, owner should know this).

Good luck, and Blue Skies.
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru