normandycoast

Strong lopo lite questions

Hi there, I have a Strong Lopo lite canopy. It's currently connected to two military removeable style links. It also has two suspension lines that have about 12 inches of red 550 line at the ends of the them and two metal rings. I'm guessing these are a line release system of some sort, however I'm not sure. I want to put this canopy in a softie pilots rig with rapide links.

Does anybody know if the lopo lite came with a line release system and how to rig it? Thanks much!

No, to my knowledge none of the strong lopo's came with a line release. They didn't need one since they had drive vents in the back.;) What you are probably seeing is the remains of a steering system. Steering lines were attached to the appropriate suspension line a few feet above the links. This allowed steering lines and toggles to be mounted on the various risers. Particularly needed on a seat rig.

I think twice about the using the lopo lite. It has a max suspended weight of 175lbs and opening speed of 130kts. It didn't hang around too long. If your sure the wearers are going to weigh less than 140 lbs or so maybe. But I wouldn't count on it for a pilot rig.

An older manual that has the specs can be found here. http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/index.php?/files/file/1751-paracush96pdf/

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks Terry, that explains everything. I got this canopy used and just undid the lines as they were daisy chained and now I see that the red lines are sewn to lines that are attached to the links. So steering lines they are.

Also the link for that manual was great. I also agree on the concerns with using this in a pilot rig because of its limitations. Thanks again for the info.