Gary73

Z1 Lens Fogging

I've used Z1 full-face helmets for years with little or no lens fogging, but after replacing the lens recently I've had it happen way too often. I e-mailed the manufacturer, but they haven't replied. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Fogging in freefall? In the plane? Under canopy? The only place mine does not fog is in freefall. You just have to crack it open a little. :-)

Should have been more specific, I guess. It fogs anytime it's cool and I have the visor closed. I close the visor right before exit, then open it as soon as I know I have a good canopy. Previous lenses have not had this problem; it's just this new one.

I found Cat Crap on Amazon. There was only one review, and it was negative, for what that's worth. Likewise with C-Clear.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Fogging in freefall? In the plane? Under canopy? The only place mine does not fog is in freefall. You just have to crack it open a little. :-)

Should have been more specific, I guess. It fogs anytime it's cool and I have the visor closed. I close the visor right before exit, then open it as soon as I know I have a good canopy. Previous lenses have not had this problem; it's just this new one.

I found Cat Crap on Amazon. There was only one review, and it was negative, for what that's worth. Likewise with C-Clear.

Breathe in thru your nose, out thru your mouth (blowing the air outside the helmet mouth vent).

You're probably breathing into the helmet and the condensation from your breath is what's fogging it up. If I don't pay attention to my breathing, my OXYGN fogs up every time, but a couple breaths like that and it clears up.

Also, cat crap it, put it in the sun a little bit (warm the helmet up)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I use cat crap too. It's great stuff. Have put it on the inside of all my goggles, my Z1 and on the inside of my car windscreen. none of them steam/fog up now. Awesome stuff.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I've just bought a G3 after jumping for years with no fogging problems with a Z1 and an OXYGN.

The G3 fogs up on every jump. The anti-fog stuff that came with it helps but seems to leave a film that peels off after a couple of jumps.

Suggestions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you wear your helmet all the way to altitude? I use a G2 and I've found that I am much less likely to get fogging if I wear the helmet only until belts off, then take it off till just before jump run when I'm doing my final jump prep. Once I put the helmet on, I also keep the visor open till the last practical moment prior to exit (which of course will vary depending on where I am on exit).

By following that practice, I will generally only get a small amount of fogging after opening, if I get any at all (and since I prefer to open my visor for the canopy ride, it's not really an issue). It's more likely when it's colder; less so in the summer.

Of course, I generally jump in very dry climates; you may be getting different results in more humid climates.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Do you wear your helmet all the way to altitude? I use a G2 and I've found that I am much less likely to get fogging if I wear the helmet only until belts off, then take it off till just before jump run when I'm doing my final jump prep. Once I put the helmet on, I also keep the visor open till the last practical moment prior to exit (which of course will vary depending on where I am on exit).

By following that practice, I will generally only get a small amount of fogging after opening, if I get any at all (and since I prefer to open my visor for the canopy ride, it's not really an issue). It's more likely when it's colder; less so in the summer.

Of course, I generally jump in very dry climates; you may be getting different results in more humid climates.

I do the same with my G3 and dont experience fogging either. if i close it too early before exit it will fog. but clears up as soon as i get outside the plane.

Just as NW Flyer said, Dont' wear your helmet until you're on jump run and don't close the lens until you're near the door for exit.

Let the heat and moisture escape from your head during the climb to altitude. I've been doing it this way for 15 years and it works.

I jump in the Midwest ( Iowa - Illinois ) 90-100 degrees and 60-80 percent humidity. My hair is always wet from sweat when I get in the plane.

I am also reposting something (below) I posted a few weeks ago.

I've been jumping full face helmets since they first came out. I definitely like them but I will only wear one with a flip up visor now.

There is no doubt (to me) that the G3 is the best choice out there (obviously others will disagree).

There is no loss of peripheral vision and with the new lens they started using recently the fogging issue is mostly gone.

I still use an anti fog wipe from Fogtech which has completely illiminated the fogging.

I jump in the Midwest of the US and I don't think anyone get's a worse combination of temps and humidity than we.

One Fogtech wipe usually lasts me about 25-30 jumps.

As stated up thread - add new distractions incrimentally and spend lots of time on the ground becoming totally familiar with the new piece of gear to the point you can operate it with out thought.

Be safe out there.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

In addition to what others said about leaving it off/open until jump run (I personally haven't had an issue having it on and open all the way up), which insert are you using? There should be a larger one that helps cut down on fogging, but other jumpers won't be able to see your mouth.

i wonder, and im not bullshitting, if drilling a few micro holes around the outside of the visor screen, with an ultra tiny drill bit, might help with fogging?

i know these helmets are pricy, but i suppose it would be worth shooting cookie comp. an email to see if this would be a good/bad idea or if it would work..............

my snowboard goggles are lined with small holes all around the lens , thats what got me thinking
gravity brings me down.........

I don't wear the helmet on the way up, and don't close the visor until immediately before exit. Doesn't generally fog during RW until track off, but on wingsuit jumps it fogs very soon after exit. Perhaps due to the lower airspeed.

Never had this trouble with a Z1 or OXYGN.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.