darkvapor

Sport Bikes Part II

It is better to ride a bike like that at 99% than a Hayabusa or R1 at 40%. Would you recommend a fully eliptical to a newbie with 25 jumps - it is the same with bikes - whilst they may be able to fly it reasonably well and land it 95% of the time it can get them into a whole heap of situations that they will not be able to deal with.

personally, i don't think that's a good analogy... because you _CAN_ go at 40% on a CrotchRocket(TM), where you have no choice on a small eliptical.
the first CrotchRocket(TM) _I_ rode was 1000cc (well, okay 996, but close e-f'ing-nough :))

fact of the matter is, i _would_ recommend a larger bike to a newbie _IF_ i knew s/he was smart enough to drive conservativly until they knew what they were doing.

-------

For overall performance I would tend to lean toward the Ducati. I always like Honda CBR though I never own 1. Bottom line is you need to be on something that is going to get you there in one piece. Your best bet, not knowing where you live, is to take in a bike show where there are hundreds of different make's & models to look @ & talk to the people that own them. In the mean time if you've never been on a bike get yourself a 80cc or 125cc & mess around in a big field...stay away from the jumps @ first ..wear padded pads & work out the kinks. When you get out on the open road I assure you it won't be another biker that will kill you...There are plenty of little old ladies, soccer mom's,truck drivers, collage kids & on & on. Take you time learn what you can & can't do & for God sake most important ..look cool
How can you go back when you don't know why you're here

OK fair enough - poor analogy. I st think that people are not well enough educated about big bikes. I can be doing 100mph in about 6 seconds from the off and I know my bike inside out have riden tens of thousands of miles on it and it still scares me sometimes. The temptation to blast a big bike is so huge - a hayabusa can do 200mph and that is just asking for trouble for a newbie. What I was implying is that you need to learn how to deal with a smaller more docile bike before you launch onto the big boys. In the UK the highest risk group of bikers is the "Back to Biking" over 40's. They used to ride big bikes but they were nothing like as powerful so hey don't know what they are dealing with. It is the same as canopy flying in that it is all about knowledge & control.

Buy whatever makes you happy but rest assured it will scare the shit out of you before you tame it. I had some close calls on my SR125 and that only did 50mph...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Buy whatever makes you happy but rest assured it will scare the shit out of you before you tame it. I had some close calls on my SR125 and that only did 50mph...

i won't argue that point at all! it might not just scare ya, even if your comfortable w/ it, it could cause you damage. whatever you buy _BE CAREFUL_!

-------

I do a couple things when riding with my gear. I ride with my gear on days that I may want to beat traffic to get back to work..... otherwise I drive..... but on the days that I do choose to ride with my rig... I want to enjoy my ride too.....I hate riding with anything too bulky on me like a gear bag...... the only thing I want on my back is my rig...... - BTW I ride a Suzuki GSXR1000 so I routinely get over 150 mph on the way to the DZ...... Rig on my back... Everything else is in some soft saddle bags..... can give you the brand if you are looking for a good set...... Hacky tucked all the way in to my BOC.... nothing hanging out. Both cutaway and reserve handle are taped(both of mine are puds - no D-ring) just a few wraps of clear 4 inch tape for added safety..... I put a belt around my rig and over my closing pin - real tight - then I close my flap.... Someone suggested that I could also put a couple stows around my pilot chute before stowing it... just in case it ever gets out...... I have never seen the need for this..... I am completely comfortable flying at ground level with my rig on as long as I've taken these precautions..... ..... The way I see it - I get up to 200 mph freaking in odd positions..... a 180 mph belly fly/headdown should pose no problem to my rig as far as unplanned deployment..... I do ride with my leg straps on... not too tight..... Never had problems and usually I'm grinning by the time I get to the DZ which is a plus... my grin just gets bigger as the day progresses.......... Scene
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you have tried.
If you do succeed, try something harder. - Scene

I have to agree with you.... my first bike was a Kawasaki 1100 - and I had very little experience when I bought it.....I was also mature enough to really respect the power that I had on the bike....I've never owned anything smaller than a 1000 and they have all been crotch rockets... If you can exercise the discipline to ride within your limitations you will be fine...... You ride the bike... it doesn't ride you... another thing is that as you get more comfortable with the power and performance of a superbike you may find that sometimes your best defense is that power and the ability to get out of a situation ..... Don't take chances.... I ride as though everyone on the road is my enemy.. or at least I see the potential risk of someone drifting or changing lanes suddenly.... not a big problem in a car but that could ruin your day if you are on a bike........ in other words you have to truly ride defensively to minimize the risk associated with riding. I don't drink and ride.... period... My riding is also purely for pleasure so I don't do the traffic or the rain because I don't have to...... too much stress........ nuff said...... Scene
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you have tried.
If you do succeed, try something harder. - Scene

As long as you don't do like that guy I heard about once.....he thought he would see how fast his canopy could stop his bike.:S

He was bright enuf to deploy while riding and somehow figured he could hold on to the bike:o....needless to say, he probably deserved that roadrash.
Flying Hellfish #470

Think of sportsbikes as parachutes.. sure you can start with high powered (anything sport) ones.
IF you can control yourself those bikes are sweet pussies.. but offcourse you want to have fun and drive a little so in about 2 weeks your accustomed to the bike so that your driving to fast al the time. And by god if you like a sportsbike for its looks and the atmosphere is creates you WILL ride it like that!

But, If you're like me in love with plastic well, there iisn't any replacement for a gsxr-600 though B|

gsxr, cbr, r1, r6, zx-6r, .. they are ALL to much for a beginner! A nice beginnersbikie would be a monster 600 or ER-5 or something like that. And even these bikes go way to fast and wil kill you faster then you can say "shit".

I crashed my gsxr-600 within 2 months.. wasn't in fault and got insurance money but still.. another bike might have spared me this.
Next bike I'm gonna by is a 400cc supersport . Probably an old FZR400 or so.. also fun to ride bit top at about 200kph instead of 260kph and are just that bit more forgiving.
These are mainly for the Japanese market but there are some in europe (and most likely USA)

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Hi...

My first bike was a 2000 CBR F4. I loved that bike. I am a fairly small lady, the bike had to be lowered and such. But I was totally comfortable on it. I know alot of people who start on 600's. My husband did too, but he currently (until he took up skydiving) rode an Erion 929. Any 600 is a good place to start. The GXSR is another good one to start with. The Gsxr 600 is the main choice for alot of people who stunt. It has a great response and it is a well balance bike. Good luck on your choice, & I totally agree, the Busa is not the place to start, unless you have a death wish...:P

Pretty much anything I want to ride would have to be lowered.

I love love love my Suzuki SV650.If you want a sportier-looking version, go with the SV-650S. It's a nice light bike with enough power and torque to do anything you need or want to do on the street or on the twisty roads. That being said, my first bike was a 1989 Honda CB-1, a little 400cc sport standard that they only sold for 2 years here in the states. It's for sale, if anyone wants one!

Also, please, make every attempt to take the MSF course...it is totally worth the time.

For all you sportbike nuts out there: Try to get out on a track sometime! most smaller road courses have track days...check at your local dealers they might have some info. I wish more people would do track days rather than kill themselves trying to ride too fast down the windy mountain roads.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

personally, i don't think that's a good analogy... because you _CAN_ go at 40% on a CrotchRocket(TM),

Actually, it's a very good analogy.

First of all, the temptation is always there when you have that much power. It takes a lot of maturity and discipline to not do a little more and a little more when you have that much power at your disposal.

That being said, even if you have more willpower than most people out there, sportbikes are designed differently. Between the riding position, weight, the rake angle, and the wheelbase - they're designed to be unstable. Have you ever seen a cruiser with a steering damper?? Not to mention, a heavy glance at the throttle and your change in speed can be quick and drastic.

fact of the matter is, i _would_ recommend a larger bike to a newbie _IF_ i knew s/he was smart enough to drive conservativly until they knew what they were doing.

I never would. I don't consider myself enough of an expert in bikes and people to make that determination. And I'd hate to feel responsible if something were to happen.
How many people have we heard of where their instructors said they'd be fine under whatever zippy canopy they choose, and they messed themselves up?
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I think that any 600 sport bike(CBR, GSXR) would be a good starting place provided you can control the urge to really grip it and rip it in the beginning. I've read other peoples replies about starting with small bikes(as small as 125) and I have to disagree for a few reasons...
1) A bike is fairly large investment, get something that you can learn to ride on, but that you won't outgrow in a few months.
2) As mentioned earlier, get out on the highway on a bike that only goes about 100kph and traffic will be flying by you (this may be uncomfortable for you when you get passed by an 18 wheeler).
3) The GSXR 600 I ride feels more comfortable around the 120-130kph than it does below 100kph
4) with 1/2 brain you should be able to handle any 600 out there and as your riding abilities grow you will be able to unlock more and more potential out of your 600.

So... a matter of insurance.

Getting liability insurance for a bike along the lines of a CBR600 isn't all that bad. However, adding comprehensive and collision makes the yearly total to roughly 3000$. Collision is the biggest part, making up about 2/3 of the cost of the insurance. So my question is... is collision insurance necessary? How much are non-totalled bike repairs? I would think that it wouldn't be too bad, since most damage would be cosmetic anyways. But then comes the issue of 'what if I total the bike'. Without collision insurance, it would be a personal hit.

I know this is a personal decision, but what are ya'll opinions. How have you insured your bikes?

edited: oh yea.. what about comprehensive? its a decent sized chunk of the total insurance cost, and i would certainly would like to be able to recoup my losses if some moron decides to steal my bike.

also, these rates seem pretty high to me. they are for a 21 year old with a very good record. i decided to play with the numbers. if i made myself 25, overal cost would drop to about 2200$, so a moderate drop, but not huge. its actually cheaper to insure a 1100cc BMW than it is this 600cc honda. i did these insurance numbers on progressive.com. i will probably get a better deal when if i use my regular insurance agent at statefarm, since i have a good history with them.

If the bike is subject to a lien (if you're making payments on it to a bank or finance company) you have to carry both comp and collision in addition to liability.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

We actually don't get small standards here in the states. I think the Bandit 600 is gone, we only get the Hornet 900, and no ER7. Along with a whole lot of other small displacement bikes I only know about through reading English magazines. We do get the SV and it's a gem.

Oh, and insurance is next to nothing on bikes here as long as you don't get comprehensive coverage. I pay something like $250/year for a FZR600 from a major insurance company and that's for a young male in Los Angeles!

I was actually thinking of buying a used gixxer, but I'm not into that shiny stuff. My friend and his girl just painted their bikes matching matte black and it's so dope...

I was thinking about ripping the bodywork off my bike and doing the streetfighter thing. Or just getting a Speed Four...