darkvapor

Sport Bikes Part II

Well, I've been convinced that a 1300cc 'busa ain't a very good first bike.. ;)

Comments on the Honda CBR600 as a first bike? I've seen conflicting comments. I've read that its a very comfortable bike, and easy to handle. However, the main comment against it is that it is essentially a track bike, and therefore, is too much for a first bike. On the other hand, it seems to be very similar to just about every other 600cc sport bike.

Also, Honda makes the Interceptor ABS. It has a few more cc's (781), but also has the benefit (and safety) of ABS brakes. Does the addition of ABS brakes make up for the added dangers of a little bit bigger engine? Unfortunately, not many other bikes offer ABS (BMW, heavier Honda touring, and the Interceptor, which is 1 step above the CBR600).

Also, are sport bikes inherently dangerous (hard to handle), or are the dangers associated with bikes related to the inability to keep people from splitting the lane at 120mph and slamming into a semi changing lanes? I was just doing some statistics searching, and I read that 80% of fatal (or was it total accidents) occur off the roadway. (defined as anything outside the lane, on the lane separator, divider, median, shoulder, ramps, etc). Many of the other accidents could be attributed to negotiating curves (single vehicle).

Theoretically, couldn't a 1100cc bike be ridden safely by a beginner in regular traffic (not that I am looking at a 1100cc bike). Is the threat the bike itself? or the fact that its inevitable that the driver is going to push his/her own limits?

In addition to a rider pushing their limits you need to figure in the people that just seem to be blind to bikes. They are out there. They dont look for any thing smaller than what they drive, before they pull out in front of you. So watch out for them.

--TB
Welcome my friends to the show that never ends.

you need to figure in the people that just seem to be blind to bikes. They are out there. They dont look for any thing smaller than what they drive, before they pull out in front of you.

That is very true. However, it also seems that many hot-sh*t sportbike riders have no regard for other traffic themselves. It's no surprise when you drive 50mph faster than traffic that people aren't going to see you well enough to avoid pulling into your way.

my buddy used to have a cbr600 before it was stolen... it's a nice bike, it's got a more upright riding position which makes it more comfy.

it still has enough get up and go to get you into trouble tho... ride safely, and wear good protective gear :)

-------

I enjoyed a very nice riding habit with nothing but 600cc bikes. I loved clicking up and down the gears and twisting the throttle to the high-heavens.

If you don't want to start with dirt bikes (understandable, but a really good way to start riding before going to street bikes), then don't get anything bigger than a 600cc.

My $.02 only (and what I did, and survived with room to spare):

--Buy a USED BIKE, bring a friend to test ride it for you if you don't have a license/permit.
--Buy a NEW FULL FACE HELMET (Shoei is king IMO)
--Buy GOOD LEATHERS (minimum jacket, with "armor", kevlar lined gloves and Alpinstar boots. Brands like Teknic or Vanson.)

Types of bikes:

Hondas are Hondas. They simply do not make bad machines (though I was a Suzuki nut). The CBR600 F1, 2, 3, 4, 4i, RR are simply outstanding all around sportbikes. However, as a first bike, I wouldn't buy anything newer than an F3 (1997). The reason being is that in the late 90's the 600cc machines started putting out power comparable to open class bikes with well over 100hp at the rear wheel.

Screw ABS for a bike, the newer Interceptors also have linked braking too and you should learn to modulate the front and rear brakes separately.

Here's the best advice overall:

Go to Motions Honda Kawasaki Suzuki on Cobb Pky in Marietta and ask around there. It's a bit more in-synch with getting really good insight versus asking about motorcycling on a skydiving forum. When/if you go there, listen to them like you would listen to an experienced jumper about downsizing your canopy.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Sportbikes are actually easy to ride, since they accelerate, turn, and stop well while weighing less than other types of bike. That said, you can easily find yourself over your head when given that much power. Keep in mind that evn a 600cc sportbike is incredibly, insanely quick by any reasonable standard. More powerful bikes are even more so. Like canopies, you want to start docile and get some experience under your belt before getting anything drastic. You may want to consider a 650cc twin like the Suzuki SV650S, which is forgiving enough to learn on while quite capable of of giddying thrills. Otherwise, think 600 or smaller, think used (you will drop it, probably several times), and think Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

Stop messing around get yourself a monster 600sie
Great first bike keeps you honest with power enough to keep for the long haul

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2003/ducatiModel.jhtml?modelName=620sie-03

Beautiful bikes but ouch! The desmodromic valve system is a maintenance hassle....love that Italian V-Twin though...
Make light!

They are out there. They dont look for any thing smaller than what they drive

SUV drivers please take note.... we're ALL smaller and you DO drive that way. I make this comment not only as an inactive motorcyclist but also a Honda pilot.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I had it for 2 years never a problem. That was the mess around bike...The 2 Harleys now they require some maintenance

Aha! Living the dream of becoming the strongest man in America by tightening them up every Sunday evening? :P
Make light!

I'm incline to agree with the Ducati theory, or similar, Suzuki SV650s Bandit600,
the babyblades and like are street version track racers and are far more pawerfull than a 1st bike rider needs.

Here in Oz you are limited to a 250 for your 1st 12 months, just to stop ppl from jumping on crotch rockets and killing themselves,
kinda like a peron just off AFF jumping on a Stilleto 120 @ 1.6WLB|B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you can always tell a harley owner by 2 things:
1) "I like to work on my bike on the weekends"
2) they own a truck to haul there bike around when it's not working

You forgot "I know I was suppose to be there 2 hours ago but that's how long it took to walk to a phone"

How can you go back when you don't know why you're here

bikes will out handle the rider..... Kawi zx 600 1994 or 95 would be a decent respectable 1st in my humble opinion... Splitting lanes at 50 can kill you let alone 120... watch out for that, when you get comfortable in the saddle is when it will bite you in the ass... don't lose respect for the bike...

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Either that or
"It's in the garage."

That said, I really like my Harley. It's been very reliable, and it suits me. And it looks really badass for me to ride it to the DZ to skydive B|

And we all know how important it is to be badass.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Learn to ride a small bike before you get a big one. I did a year on a 125 around London, then onto a Bandit 6 then an Interceptor (VFR800). the jump from the 125 to the Bandit was the same as the Bandit to the VFR. I don't know about the states but in the UK you wouldn't be able to touch a CBR as a first bike on the insurance front. My brother is just getting into biking and I recommended te SV650 to him. It is better to ride a bike like that at 99% than a Hayabusa or R1 at 40%. Would you recommend a fully eliptical to a newbie with 25 jumps - it is the same with bikes - whilst they may be able to fly it reasonably well and land it 95% of the time it can get them into a whole heap of situations that they will not be able to deal with.

In surmation go for:

SV 650, Bandit 6, Hornet 6, Kawasaki ER7. You will have just as much funb riding them as a Busa or a Blade at your experience and you will be less likely to die.

Blue Skies & empty roads to you.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

They make bags to go over the sissy bar -- just look around at any dealership that has a good selection of cruisers. T-bags is one brand. I don't have saddle bags, so it all goes in the gear bag on the sissy bar. And there's enough room to bungie a case of beer in front of the gear bag, too. Unfortunately, I can only carry cases that come in flat 24-packs (i.e. cheap beer).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)