DBCOOPER

ZPX questions

http://www.flyaerodyne.com/zpx.asp

Dont know the answer to the jumps question; But I have ordered a Pilot Zpx 168' and the delivery time is crazy, approz 12 - 14 weeks! So I kinda screwed up as my jumping season will be close to an end before I get my rig! Boooo ;-)

I will do a review on the Zpx when I get it, before and after a few jumps. But will have to wait untill at least May for that!

I called them about Zpx and they said the same as the above link. But they added that its self healing so if you poke a pencil though it that it will close up on its own! Also it packs about 1 size smaller than a standard z.p.
Wings container; Main: 168' ZPX Pilot; Reserve: Smart 160'; Cypres 2;

There is no difference in flying characteristics between ZP and ZPX. Only difference is that it packs about one size smaller smaller.

Generally, perhaps true. But one wonders in specific cases whether the airfoil is maintained quite as well with ZPX: Aerodyne stopped making crossbraced Sensei's with the ZPX option. Why exactly, I don't know.

Hi guys,

So, ZPX has been on the market for a while now and I'm thinking of getting a ZPX Pilot as part of my first rig. I was just wondering what the general feeling is about this fabric and these canopies? I haven't seen any specific reviews - if there are please point me in their direction.

Thanks.
Everything else is just noise...

pchapman

There is no difference in flying characteristics between ZP and ZPX. Only difference is that it packs about one size smaller smaller.

Generally, perhaps true. But one wonders in specific cases whether the airfoil is maintained quite as well with ZPX: Aerodyne stopped making crossbraced Sensei's with the ZPX option. Why exactly, I don't know.

Some info about the of the end of the ZPX Sensei was provided to me when I was deciding to order my lightly loaded ZPX Pilot, after persistent questions to guys at the top (or at least were at the top) of Aerodyne. A top guy there said that the ZPX material elasticity is different in different directions, and that caused some perceived issues for the real high performance wing loadings. The guy that gave me this info, however, still loved his very high WL sensei (his personal canopy) with ZPX, but admitted that it was a reasonable decision to stop use of it for such applications.

Aerodyne shows some test results (presumably from the material mfg?) info about how the ZPX is actually better at withstanding abuse. I see no reason to doubt that conclusion. The materials, design, and test engineers at the raw material mfg and Aerodyne I think should be given the credit for being able to not make a stupid decision to apply this stuff for canopies. I like the lower volume, I like the prospect of it being "self-healing" for small hole type damage, and don't have anything bad to report about it for the couple hundred jumps I've put on it.

The stuff has been in actual use for quite a while, so there really shouldn't be any mystery about its durability.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am