rifleman

Noob question about containers

most containers will allow for a larger reserve than main, or at least the same size.. don't know which containers you are referring to which won't allow this (although I'm sure they exist), but you will normally don't have any problem finding a container which takes a (much) bigger reserve than your main..

what container are you looking at?

Alex.

Don't forget to consider a low bulk reserve. The Optimum from Performance Designs is one such reserve.

If a container will fit a normal 210 reserve, then you will have no trouble putting in a 230 Optimum because of the low bulk material.

Doing a search on this site will bring up lot's of posts on the Optimum.

Also you can usually go to the container company's site to find out what canopies will fit into the various size containers. Check out the following link.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart_11_28_58(1).pdf
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Are there any containers on the market that will accept a larger reserve than the main? eg a 210 main with a 220 or 230 reserve

Or are they all designed for a smaller reserve than main?

I jump A Quasar II with a 210 main & 220 reserve...no problem. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Are there any containers on the market that will accept a larger reserve than the main? eg a 210 main with a 220 or 230 reserve

I know a dude with a 170 main and a 220 reserve in an Icon. He's said that they asked him why he wanted that combo when he ordered it, and his response was something like - I'm kind of a big dude and I want as much fabric over my head as possible in an emergency situation.

It's not as common on the used market because the smaller reserve makes the rig look "cooler" (at least to some people). Personally I have different priorities.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes. It's quite common.
A better combination than the other way around in my book.

You may already know that we should buy the container for the reserve we need and then add the main.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When I got my second own rig I decided to stick with my PD176R. I had the rig tailored for a 169 Safire1 but asked whether it would safely house a 149 Safire2. Got their OK, had it delivered. Turned out it even worked, jumped it several hundred jumps.
Worked even at the strange combo of 176R with 129 XFire2. OK, a two-out would have been very interesting, but it worked. Looked a little uncool but I'm old :P

My new rig has a 135 Speed2000 reserve (low bulk) and the 129 XFire2. Reserve still bigger than main ;)

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I had the rig tailored for a 169 Safire1 but asked whether it would safely house a 149 Safire2. Got their OK

Well that's to be expected, as those 2 canopies are just about exactly the same size. A safire 1 is about 8% or roughly 1 size smaller than stated on the label, while a safire 2 is the size it says it is. So is a crossfire, so the crossfire was really only one size smaller than both the safires.
Still good that you have a bigger reserve. I've never had that... Mostly I jump PdF atoms and they are geared towards a smaller reserve than main. Although in my accuracy rig I don't sweat that :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My Wings is happy with a 210 Spectre / 235 Optimum. Heck, it is happy with a 176 Lightning w/ tail pocket in place of the Spectre.

The lack of a D-bag makes the Lightning pack big. Or maybe I am just a klutz/wussy and can't/don't cram the fabric as tightly without a d-bag.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

The lack of a D-bag reinforcements, dacron lines, extra fabric on centre cell plus the extra rings up top makes the Lightning pack big. :P

With or without a bag, a lightning packs up BIG. I had the illusion of putting a lightning 126 in a container that could hold a 150 or small 170sqft main.
No way was that going to fit.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What??
That Should be easy!

I get my Lightning 160 in my Javelin 150 rig too.
Sure, sometimes I have little fabric outside, but most of the time it's not bad at all.
Usually the first two packjobs of the day looks bad but after that it looks ok better