mixedup

Gear Bag Recommendation?

Any recommendations for a value-for-money Gear Bag that will last?

To carry rig, helmet, alti, a few bits and pieces. Typically they seem to have back-straps. (Assumption - haven't got my first rig yet but I'm assuming gear bags are a good idea + important to protect the rig whilst travelling)

There's a range available, but it's hard to tell via limited pictures re how good they are, quality etc... I've noted for example. Why not just go for the $59 skysystems gear back from chutingstar for example?

US$59 - http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/skysystems-gear-bag.html
US$70 - http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p146.asp
US$110 - http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/fliteline-gear-bag.html
US$150 - http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=20&level=2&parent=6
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

They all work.

Just don't get one that is too big to carry full, because the vacuum principal will go into effect.

Separate inside and outside compartments are nice for organizing. Amortized over the 10 years or so that you will use it, the difference between the cheapest and most expensive is just a few dollars a year.

Vacuum Principal: All spaces will get filled + just a little more!
Dano

I agree with you on seperate compatements.
My gearbag had one big pocket on the outside for everything and it became a mess in there.
When you needed something you had to empty the pocket to find what you needed.

So this week I sewed on a pocket on the inside with a seperating wall.
And in the existing big pocket on the outside I made walls deviding it in three.
It is so nice now!
Now I can finally find what I'm looking for

Check out the gear bags available online or from a local sports store. Baseball gear bags can be very good.

http://www.baseballrampage.com/
http://www.eastonbaseball.com/the-equipment/bags.html/
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3395771

I've had the same gear bag for about 12 years and it was originally designed as a baseball gear bag with one large compartment, a smaller zipperd compartment at the end and a zippered pocket on the side. The smaller compartment at the end is perfect for helmet, alti, gloves, etc and the side pocket works great for misc. Many of these bags include handles and shoulder straps for easy carry and some have wheels ... if that's how you roll.

If going to the dz, I'd go with a bag that allows you to hold all your stuff with enough room to cram the unpacked canopy in as well. For those days that you don't have the light, or time, or energy to pack at the end of jumping, that big bag comes in handy.

For traveling, I often travel with two rigs. Both come on as carry on. One in a rolly case that fits in the overhead and the second in a stash bag that fits under the seat. I got both bags at the flea market for less than $10 each. Used, but good quality. All other gear goes in a rolling duffle with clothes. And I completely agree on not going too big on the rolling duffle. Costco had some nice models that were really popular with skydivers as they had enough pockets and just the right amount of space for the typical gear we carry. Cost about $40. Then they changed brands to "FUL" and the size went up and the quality was shit. And it was way too easy to fill the bag and go over weight on the airline.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

enough room to cram the unpacked canopy in as well. For those days that you don't have the light, or time, or energy to pack at the end of jumping, that big bag comes in handy

+1

Damn ... how could I forget that one?! Many of the baseball gear bags I suggested are large enough to hold a rig + an unpacked canopy. Heck, mine has been doing that for several weeks.
:)

I recommend avoiding the Brand X bag from square 1 (the second link). It just falls apart. Mine lasted less than 6 months before I had a major repair done. First repair also failed about a year later so I had a whole second piece of fabric sewn across the entire top for reinforcing and thats been holding well for about 1.5 years now. Only plus is the outer pocket for a jumpsuit and the log book pocket.

The square 1 helmet bag works great for my factory diver and I throw my audible and alti in there too.

Just as something to think about regarding gear bags...

No matter how organized your gear bag is on the way TO the dz, it's usually a mess on the way back home.

For that reason I carry several 'bags' to separate and keep things organized.

The rig goes into a standard (large) gear bag that was made for it (matching the rig colors because looking cool is priceless)

Everything else goes into a zippered duffel.
...several smaller different colored bags containing all the miscellaneous go into that 2nd bag along with the jumpsuits.
Things like the helmet bag, camera bag, tool bag, snack bag, altimeters and knives bag.

Keeping everything separate and clean seems to make it last longer & doing an inventory is quick & easy.

I learned a LONG time ago not to put anything other than the parachute system into the 'gear bag'...any number of things can happen when you start packing it all together with sharp things, dirty things, stinky sweaty things, bloody things, controlled substances...

I've seen a Dr. Pepper bottle leak all over a guys unpacked canopy in the bag, Velcro on a jumpsuit stuck to lines, one guy spent an entire day trying to clean ink from a broken logbook pen off of his reserve container.

Those skyjumpin' things are just too damn expensive not to take better care of, in fact I even go so far as to put the rig in a heavy plastic bag THEN into the gear bag...just a little extra protection because it all sits in the trunk right next to the battery box in my lil' Z4 car...makes me nervous! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For that reason I carry several 'bags' to separate and keep things organized.

AOL!!!!!11

I usually jump at only one DZ (Gera, Germany) and thus rent a locker for my gear (and another one for camera/video stuff etc pp)
But now and then I go to another DZ and noticed that having a bag just for the rig, a duffel for stuff like jumpsuits and a bigger bag for packing mat, fullface helmet (in its bag) and bit'n'pieces just comes handy and prevents "accidents" to my beloved rig and allows for easy checks B|
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

the Parachutes de France bag is GREAT. Their best product actually in my opinion.
Built to last (not like their rigs), can be mistreated and takes all the damage you can imagine.
2 large outer pocket on the front, and 2 long pockets on the sides, 1 top and 1 side handle. The shoulder straps can be stowed.
Comes in 2 sizes, standard and tandem

http://www.globaeroshop.com/sac-de-transport-pour-parachute-solo---pro-bag--_56_1374.html
it is not cheap, but REALLY worth it.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've gone a little bit different route and LOVE my bag. I use an Osprey Porter 65 for mine.

It is big enough for an unpacked rig, helmet, jumpsuit and the general debris that comes along with skydiving. It can handle two packed rigs but if I was regularly transporting two rigs I'd probably go with the larger one. It has pockets on the outside, storable shoulder straps for the backpack, great outside handles and a really effective compression system to keep it all in place. There is a bit of rigidity to the bottom of it so that it carries a little easier.

The best part of Osprey is their customer service. They have a lifetime warrantee. I managed to kill a different Osprey bag last year, not from any defect but from years of abuse. I sent it in and they replaced it that week. Osprey is the ChutingStar of the outdoor bag world.
[url]http://www.rei.com/product/803308/osprey-porter-65-travel-pack

Any recommendations for a value-for-money Gear Bag that will last?

To carry rig, helmet, alti, a few bits and pieces. Typically they seem to have back-straps. (Assumption - haven't got my first rig yet but I'm assuming gear bags are a good idea + important to protect the rig whilst travelling)

There's a range available, but it's hard to tell via limited pictures re how good they are, quality etc... I've noted for example. Why not just go for the $59 skysystems gear back from chutingstar for example?

thanks for the posts - after going through everything I'm thinking of getting:

Seems to be a good size re fitting rig, has internal hard pockets for googles & alti, can customize colors, and is US$110. Haven't heard any negative feedback on it...

[inline fliteline_gear_bag.jpg]
[inline fliteline_gear_bag2.jpg]

thanks for the posts - after going through everything I'm thinking of getting:

Seems to be a good size re fitting rig, has internal hard pockets for googles & alti, can customize colors, and is US$110. Haven't heard any negative feedback on it...

I've got the XL version, holds my rig, 2 jumpsuits, alti and full face helmet in the front pocket. Pretty snug.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've got the XL version, holds my rig, 2 jumpsuits, alti and full face helmet in the front pocket. Pretty snug.

oh - my rig will be Vector 3 - V350 - 10" x 12" x 19" (thickness 5.5"). I noted the sizes (below) and thought the XLarge's width (9") might actually be a bit small for my rig, noting the Large's width is 10"? Do you think my rig might be a bit tight then re width in the X-Large? (otherwise x-large would give a bit more room like you say)

Large 21 x 16.5 x 10 inches.
X-Large 23.5 x 17.5 x 9 inches.

oh - my rig will be Vector 3 - V350 - 10" x 12" x 19" (thickness 5.5"). I noted the sizes (below) and thought the XLarge's width (9") might actually be a bit small for my rig, noting the Large's width is 10"? Do you think my rig might be a bit tight then re width in the X-Large? (otherwise x-large would give a bit more room like you say)

Large 21 x 16.5 x 10 inches.
X-Large 23.5 x 17.5 x 9 inches.

I've got a Vector3 348, I believe the difference between your rig and mine is ~.5 inch or so.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I've got a Vector3 348, I believe the difference between your rig and mine is ~.5 inch or so.

so X-Large should be ok for mine you think? thanks theonlyski

I believe so, you can ask Mike G or J at Chutingstar to see for sure, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

I took my rig there (was there for a boogie) and tried the bags out, ended up with the XL.

I just went to good ol' walmart and got this. Has room for my rig, full face helmet, 2 jumpsuits, gloves, alti etc. I like the wheels, mainly cuz I'm getting old.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Protege-30-2-Section-Rolling-Duffel-Bag-Black-and-Charcoal/13269107