PaulyG

Colours for rig and canopy

Hi All.

Im after some feedback from all you more experienced peeps. I'm currently going through the colour picker for a canopy and rig. Are there colours to stay away from??

I know black fades quickly, but don't all colours??

Thanks in advance.
Gettin' into balence

Supposedly super-bright orange and pink fade faster. However, in canopy choice, there are a couple of considerations.

One is that you want a canopy that is easy to see in the air, so that others will avoid you. Another is that you want a canopy that is easy to see if you cut it away, so that you can find it. And the third one is that you don't want a canopy that could be confused with a reserve (which are normally all white, all light blue, or something like that).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One is that you want a canopy that is easy to see in the air, so that others will avoid you. Another is that you want a canopy that is easy to see if you cut it away, so that you can find it.

You beat me to it. I jumped a black canopy with red ribs for three years and that thing was a pain to find when I chopped it and it landed in the woods. And I would regularly have people tell me I was tough to see, especially in lower-light situations like cloudier days or on sunset loads.

I now have one canopy that is primarily yellow with two orange cells, and one that is primarily orange with one white and one navy cell. I'm much happier being much more visible!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The center cell tends to get dirty due to all the abuse of packing, so a darker colo(u)r there will hide the grunge. I agree with bright colo(u)rs to make canopy visible to others. I'd stay away from lots of black, navy, baby blue and gray. Those tend to disappear at sunset. I have a mid 90s fluorescent green/pink Sabre that glows. Can't miss it in the air.

On the rig, light colo(u)rs will get dirty faster like white, yellow, etc. Orange can fade to almost pink. And a good rule of thumb, only 3 main colo(u)rs and maybe a 4th for trim/accent. Any more and you look like you spilled a box of crayons.B|:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Neon colors for a rig fade rather quickly so if you plan on customizing your brand new rig that you plan on keeping for a while then maybe take neon colors out of the equation....

BUT it does look absolutely stunning for the first year or so. Just don't jump in dry dusty locations, never PLF (for the sake of your rig) jk and always pack out of the sun ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Im after some feedback from all you more experienced peeps. I'm currently going through the colour picker for a canopy and rig. Are there colours to stay away from??

Thanks in advance.

White can become a dirty brown if you jump someplace dusty.

1) I found that the best results for the canopy colours is to put the bright colours between black cells. That enhances the effect as seen from the ground or from above.

2) personally I prefer unsymetrical patterns finding symetrical ones too common.

3) as some people said, avoid fluo colours like neon pink or neon green... they will fade out fast

4) for me, the canopy colours have to be bright and the partern unconventional. On the other hand the harness/container colours have to be conservative using dark colour like black or navy blue with pipping. The binding tape should match the colour of the rig. The collar part or the pin protector flaps can be of another colour matching the rest.

But this is just personal preferences.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi All.

Thanks in advance.

An all black rig will appear less dirty when dirty and will sell easier than almost any other single color.

As for a canopy, think BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT. The first step in avoiding a canopy collision is being seen.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi All.

Thanks in advance.

An all black rig will appear less dirty when dirty and will sell easier than almost any other single color.

As for a canopy, think BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT. The first step in avoiding a canopy collision is being seen.;)

I think a combination of dark colors in TYEDYE would be least prone to showing age/wear.

purple/black, navy/black, blue/black , etc would age real well

as far as the canopy - I agree with bright, with a small exception - top skin of the center cell gets all the sweat and dirt of the packers hands - thus I would recommend a dark color for the center cell top skin, at the least. The added benefit is the ease of packing :)

I am attaching a picture of a originally yellow center celled canopy