billvon

Why the 45 degree method does not work (long)

stayhigh

It doesn't work because no one brings a protractor.

If you bring a protractor and start measuring the angles, by the time you figure it out you'll have plenty of separation.

It does't work even IF you have a protractor AND can read it very quickly. The reason it doesn't work is that it is fundamentally flawed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

stayhigh

It doesn't work because no one brings a protractor.

If you bring a protractor and start measuring the angles, by the time you figure it out you'll have plenty of separation.

that's clever and funny - I wonder if anyone very will actually take your comment seriously and respond accordingly......they know who they are. or......maybe they don't.......:ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

analog protractors are so old school anyway, only old farts use them, I have a digital laser one. Works like a charm, gives me audible alarms when it measures 45deg, and logs all my pre-jump separations.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

analog protractors are so old school anyway, only old farts use them, I have a digital laser one. Works like a charm, gives me audible alarms when it measures 45deg, and logs all my pre-jump separations.

Yeah, but you're not typically supposed to always be so separated, from your own group, like that! :P
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Di0

it would be so cool to see hundreds of GoPro videos of newbies using their new Neptune and L&B protractors. And them sticking their tongues out at the camera while measuring angles. And learning to swoop.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Scrumpot

***analog protractors are so old school anyway, only old farts use them, I have a digital laser one. Works like a charm, gives me audible alarms when it measures 45deg, and logs all my pre-jump separations.

Yeah, but you're not typically supposed to always be so separated, from your own group, like that! :P

I knooow. That's why I can't wait for L&B Protrackt 2, which is rumored to have a setting for that!

rehmwa

it would be so cool to see hundreds of GoPro videos of newbies using their new Neptune and L&B protractors. And them sticking their tongues out at the camera while measuring angles. And learning to swoop.

I believe that would soon start to cause bar fights on the plane with the T.I.s after them. People would bring iron pipes and monkey wrenches on the plane.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Let's be honest.
The 45 rule came into being back in the S/L days when someone realized that most skydivers can't count past 6 ("look" thousand) and the really smart ones not past ten (with those jump boots on).
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ufk22

Let's be honest.
The 45 rule came into being back in the S/L days when someone realized that most skydivers can't count past 6 ("look" thousand) and the really smart ones not past ten (with those jump boots on).

It at least gets some people, to maybe even actually look somewhere out the door, I suppose. :S[:/]
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

rehmwa

people can watch the jumpers all you like - it gives zero useful info (unless one of them takes out the tail, then I'd recommend exiting quickly.:D)

Not entirely true.

If you and the group before you are both doing belly jumps, but they hose up their exit and just turn into a ball of people for several seconds then you may want to give them a little more time as they won't be in the upper (usually faster) winds as long as your group will be. Also, your video guy should be filming it for entert- I mean educational purposes anyway.

Or if the uppers = the airspeed of the plane you can watch them to see them open before you exit. :P

(deleted silly post listing reasons to watch the other group. My bad - this is a serious subject and too many people just don't get it still. I started the goofy stuff, but I shouldn't be stuffing tangents in here further.)