barbs666

Wings container Options

Hey guys,

About to put in my order for my new wings rig!

For those who own a Wings, what would you reccomend as the best options?

Secondly, Is it better to have the "Main container bottom flap closing loop retainer" option?

Also, I have seen a post about cut-in-laterals problem. Is this a well known thing? I am average sized male: 5'7", reasonable athletic ;-), 74kg (165lbs). Will the cut-in's be an issue??

my options are:

Quilted backpad
Stainless Steel - Delux
Spacer Foam Back Pad and Leg Pads
Leg Strap Hardware: Thread Thru
Chest Strap: Type 8 (Wide)
Cut In Laterals
Articulated Harness
Risers: Mini ring Type 17, Riser Length 20"
RSL
Hackey handle
Pilot Chute: Collapsible - zero-p
Low Profile Reserve Handle
Standard Red Cutaway handle

Anything else to trick it out?

FYI: Pilot Main 168 zpx, Smart reserve 160. Cypress II
Thanks!
:);)
Wings container; Main: 168' ZPX Pilot; Reserve: Smart 160'; Cypres 2;

Secondly, Is it better to have the "Main container bottom flap closing loop retainer" option?

Some people like to have the loop on the bottom flap with no loop going over the bag and bridle. If you later get a canopy that packs smaller, you may get too little pressure on the loop/pin. If I remember correctly you get both retainers if you order that, but if I'm wrong (check with the dealer), don't order it if you later plan to have a canopy that packs smaller in the container.

After having my pilot chute pouch cut up on something in the plane on my previous container, I ordered the wings with the cordura pouch and freestyle pod. I really liked that combination. Even more now that I'm starting to roll on the ground more often...

The low profile reserve handle is really tiny. I got it instead of the larger one by misstake, but I liked it and kept it. If you have thicker fingers together with gloves it can be hard to get a thumb inside the handle though.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I plan on jumping in warmer climates most of the time and dont have massive hands, so getting a thumb into the slim reserve handle may be achievable! ;-)

Yeah, I am going with teh 168 zpx main which aparently is packed about the size of a 150'...... I dont plan on going much smaller than this for a fair while! I may just leave it as the standard loop option.

Have you ever heard about the cut-in-laterals being a problem with anyone jumping a wings?

Hey guys,

About to put in my order for my new wings rig!

For those who own a Wings, what would you reccomend as the best options?

Also, I have seen a post about cut-in-laterals problem. Is this a well known thing? I am average sized male: 5'7", reasonable athletic ;-), 74kg (165lbs). Will the cut-in's be an issue??

my options are:

Quilted backpad
Stainless Steel - Delux
Spacer Foam Back Pad and Leg Pads
Leg Strap Hardware: Thread Thru
Chest Strap: Type 8 (Wide)
Cut In Laterals
Articulated Harness
Risers: Mini ring Type 17, Riser Length 20"
RSL
Hackey handle
Pilot Chute: Collapsible - zero-p
Low Profile Reserve Handle
Standard Red Cutaway handle

Anything else to trick it out?

FYI: Pilot Main 168 zpx, Smart reserve 160. Cypress II
Thanks!
:);)

Personally if the rig is custom fitted and your using the articulate harness, I would not get the cut in lats. But my rig may have not needed it to fit me proper.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I have a Wings with articulated harness and cut in lats. Very comfy, no issues.

Not saying it is an issue, just not worth the cost if all is measured out right. I had two Wings, one with and one without, I saw no real benefit on the cut ins. Both held he same size reserve and main.

Matt

Fair enough. To be honest, I didnt want them (or should I say I didnt want to pay for them lol) on mine, but, at that time, they were offering free cut ins.. So I took them...

And to be honest as well, I did not pay full price for my rigs either.

Matt

Thanks Guys,

Rig is now ordered!
Unfortunately, the container will be ready before the ZPX main! Dam..... In hindsight, Zero-p canopy would have been 200 cheaper but I will review the ZPX main for others benifit :-)

Rick at Sunrise was great, and Cut-in's are free this month (Jan 12) so I took the option.

Apart from that, its Hurry up and wait!...... slowly Standby for pic's..... ;)

Congrats and Rick is the man! He helped me a lot!. As far as the low pro handle, You may want to rethink it or talk to Rick. I am the same height as you and I actually went to the factory and saw how small that handle is. Since we are short our harness is obviously smaller and the low pro handle is really tiny for it. After seeing it in person I ended up changing my order from the low pro handle to the regular. And since we have the small harnesses its pretty small anyway. I just measured my standard handle for you and at it's widest 3 1/8" and at the narrowest its 2". It extends out about 2 1/4". That's just my .02

How does the Wings low profile handle compare to the one in the attached pic (shown with regular D handle also)? I've used the handle shown and it is very easy to find and pull. Is the Wings low profile handle a reduced height handle (in the direction of the main lift web)?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks,

I was not aware that the D handle will change size with different rigs as I thought that most were the same ball park.
Dam, hopefullt it wont be a problem. I will call Rick and ask. However, some that I asked say they like their low profile handles??

Do you mind if you attach a pic of your rig d handle and your hand next to it??

As soon as I get a chance I will post a pic. There are actually 6 different sizes in total, basically a small/med/large size for both the standard low profile handles. The handle you would get is definitely smaller than the pic in the recent post from sundevil.

As soon as I get a chance I will post a pic. There are actually 6 different sizes in total, basically a small/med/large size for both the standard low profile handles. The handle you would get is definitely smaller than the pic in the recent post from sundevil.

With that many options, it would be helpful for pics to be available on their website, but I couldn't find mention of any metal reserve handle option. I think the handle I have is the same as that available for a long time on such rigs as the racer.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just to clarify, you don't actually have 6 different choices. Basically you select either standard or low pro, then depending on the size of your harness, they select the small/medium/large (I think there were 3 different of each) of that type. Sorry for any confusion.

I just meant you can't say "I want a medium low pro". You basically can only say standard or low pro, then they make the choice of which of the small/med/large you get based on what fits best w/ your harness. The low pro for the small harness I felt like too small in my hand. Again these are just my interpretations, my original point was that for smaller guys/gals, the low profile handle is probably smaller than what you expect especially if you are comparing agains friends that may have medium or large harnesses. I should be able to get my pic up shortly.

Hi Cliff,

Is this the handle that you have?

JerryBaumchen

No, the pic I posted is of my rig, showing the std and low profile handle. I don't see much benefit the the triangular-style (your pic) options that stick out just as far as the std handle. I wanted the projection from the harness to be less, and Kelly suggested what I posted. I think a lot of people would choose it if it were known to be available.

For the shorter harnesses, it is nice to have a metal handle option that doesn't take up so much length - that harness real estate is in short supply for the short rigs and/or can lead to limitations on where the chest strap can be placed.

Thanks for the Pics!

I have been trying to call Rick, but no contact. I imagine if I speak to him in the next week it will be ok to change if it is ridiculously small.

I will also mention to him to maybe put images of the options on the website so we can see roughly what the effect will be before order ;-)

Attached is my rig