pBASEtobe

PG Cutaway System

I'm looking for someone to build a PG cutaway system. I want to cutaway from my paraglider and static line my BASE canopy off of it. I just don't know any riggers in the Los Angeles area anymore (they've all moved away).

Anyone around LA want to give me a hand? Please contact me via PM here.

Thanks.

I've seen other individuals here on DZ.com inquire about building this type of system. It seems very interesting. I'd like to quantify the needs of the system and hear from others on the perceived system requirements for such a system.
1- The cut-away system should be very secure to avoid pre-mature deployment.
2- I imagine a single action cut-away such as a three ring system would be better than multi-action system such as capewells or such.
3-You mentioned a static line deployment of your base rig, how long of a static line? How should you secure the static line to avoid entanglement? How could you also configure your base rig to deploy it's canopy if something went wrong with the static line?
4-Since the static line will work similar to an RSL, do you want the PG canopy risers to release at the same time or one then the other like a skydiving rig?

These are just some of the issues I think would need to be dealt with, please feel free to add.

1- The cut-away system should be very secure to avoid pre-mature deployment.

Would use a 3-ring release with a protected cutaway handle.

2- I imagine a single action cut-away such as a three ring system would be better than multi-action system such as capewells or such.

See #1 above.

3-You mentioned a static line deployment of your base rig, how long of a static line? How should you secure the static line to avoid entanglement? How could you also configure your base rig to deploy it's canopy if something went wrong with the static line?

I would actually do a d-bag system, not static line. If anything went wrong I'd still have my hand thrown PG reserve. Wouldn't need to cutaway the malfunctioning BASE canopy.

4-Since the static line will work similar to an RSL, do you want the PG canopy risers to release at the same time or one then the other like a skydiving rig?

I'd want them to release at the same time.

Check out this video of a system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtC5w4vrZg

Billy Weber is very good at this kind of stuff. He can make you what you want but he is in Florida, there is always shipping.

If you want to speak with him, just PM me and I will put you in touch.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Hi, my name is Larry, Master Rigger, I live in L.A. and have made a PG release system and deployed a square parachute after releasing the PG. But, skydiving and parachute flight were my basis, not PG. I wore a harness under harness. PG attached to BASE harness by 3 ring release, Dbag'd from airplane, under Skydiving harness with certified reserve and a main canopy. I made release risers and sliders for the project. PM me your # if you'd like to meet.

You mentioned that you'd like to have a three ring release style system incorporated into your PG harness, it's doable but like you said you'd need access to a local rigger to install the cable hard housings, cut-away handle attachment point, and such. You also mentioned that the base canopy would be d-bagged, in the video it appeared to be free bagged like a skydiving reserve, which seems the more logical route.

Just to throw it out there, a capewell style release system might fall into the KISS category here. I imagine a rigger could even fabricate one and then ship it to you so you could then install it your self without the need for sewing. The capewells would just need to be installed between the harness and existing PG canopy risers. The only other thing you would need then is a cordura bag that a freebag would be inside. It would attach to the back of your PG harness, it could be attached with even fastex buckles to again avoid much or any sewing. The free bag holder then could also be designed with a pocket to hold the RSL cord or web. The freebag then would be attached to the RSL which would be connected to the PG canopy.

As this system will be used in a non-emergency setting, I imagine you should be able to activate both capewell's almost simultaneously.

I'm not familiar with PG harnesses and riser set-ups(canopy attachment) but if you could send me some pictures of your particular harness and canopy attachment, I'd be happy to continue giving it some thought on how Capewells could be installed, the base canopy risers attached to your harness, and a freebag container attached to your rig.

Hey! We're working on developing a system like that right now, building all the proto's from scratch, and wed be more than happy to get something going for you. Doing all the prototype work here in colorado and doing the testing up in Oregon with www.theflystyle.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33IasPYS7cM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idSokAaz0_A
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.