skydivermom

High speed Mal

:o
... and you call yourself a skydiver.
:(
Turn in your USPA license!
:D

Oh sheesh....why did I post that?:o I really must still be suffering from jet lag.:S

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily... oh wait... this is the Safety and Training forum... I meant to say... Please drink responsibly and always have a designated driver.
;)

Well, I AM the designated driver. And there is no way I'm gonna start drinking. It's too much fun watching everyone else act retarded.....and then gloating because I don't end up with a hangover.

NickGonzales
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Hate to break this to you, but beer rules apply to everyone... At least at our DZ, I will let those who stay away from buying/drinking alcohol get away with buying at minimum 3 cases of soda or lots of gatorade to throw in the beer fridge, that way the penalty is paid and the non drinkers get something to drink too.

Maybe I should have clarified. I will under NO CIRCUMSTANCES buy or contribute to alcohol of any form, but I always buy soda/water/root beer, or whatever other non-alcoholic beverage is requested. I have no problem with contributing, but I will not violate my convictions to do so. There's always at least one person who enjoys the variety of beverages.
Mrs. WaltAppel

Twardo don't you start with me!>:(:D Beer tastes similar to something that I don't want to imagine being poured on me.[:/]

I just got through being pied for my 100th this weekend, and I only tasted ready whip. So I'm going to keep believing that's all that was in it.

Mrs. WaltAppel

Sorry about that. It would certainly have been pretty lousy of me not to provide SOMETHING to drink.

I remember the first "case" I bought. It was root beer. I took a magic marker and crossed out the word "root" on all the cans. It was amusing.....at least to me anyway!:)

Mrs. WaltAppel

...and went for it again. At that point it was still in the pouch, so I tried again. When nothing happened, I went straight for the reserve... ...my main inflated...

Relevant bits quoted. You say "nothing happened" -- does this mean you did not succeed in extracting the PC from the pouch the second time? What concerns me is that if you *did* extract the PC the second time, but it failed to open the container, why did you go directly for the reserve handle, rather than cutting away first? A PC in tow can transform into a late-deploying main, which would have given you a two-out.. very scary indeed. And if you didn't have the PC out, how did the main inflate? That would suggest a loose BOC pouch (almost as scary).

My instincts would have been to cut away first and only then go for reserve *in all circumstances* unless you are so low you absolutely must get something out instantly. (And even then after reserve deployment, I'd probably still pull the reserve handle just to be sure..)

Disclaimer: low jump numbers, and I have never cut away or ridden reserve.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

"Nothing Happened" means I did not have a canopy overhead. Obviously the pilot chute was out after the second try, but since it wasn't cocked, it didn't pull the pin out immediately. Because I couldn't get the hackey out on the first try, I assessed the situation wrongly when I went for it the second time and had no canopy. A quick look over my shoulder would have been a good idea.

Yes, you are correct that a pilot chute hesitation can be fixed by getting air in your burble, which is probably what happened when I changed my arm position and went for the reserve. Two-outs was my immediate concern when I saw my main inflated and my reserve handle dangling. I'm just glad we are taught the procedures for dealing with two outs.....and I'm more glad I didn't have to execute the procedures.
Mrs. WaltAppel

"Nothing Happened" means I did not have a canopy overhead. Obviously the pilot chute was out after the second try, but since it wasn't cocked, it didn't pull the pin out immediately. Because I couldn't get the hackey out on the first try, I assessed the situation wrongly when I went for it the second time and had no canopy. A quick look over my shoulder would have been a good idea.

Wouldn't you already know that you had succeeded in getting the PC out and throwing it, without having to look? I'm saying that if you had *anything* out, even just the PC, (IMHO) that's enough to warrant cutting away first before deploying the reserve.

Yes, you are correct that a pilot chute hesitation can be fixed by getting air in your burble

It wasn't me who said that, but ok.. :)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

Wouldn't you already know that you had succeeded in getting the PC out and throwing it, without having to look? I'm saying that if you had *anything* out, even just the PC, (IMHO) that's enough to warrant cutting away first before deploying the reserve.

No you wouldn't necessarily already know that something was out, especially if you had a hard pull just seconds before:S And if I had known that something was out, I wouldn't have gone straight for the reserve. If it ever happens to you, you'll see that it doesn't slow you down one bit. But if it does happen to you (hopefully it won't) you probably won't go straight for your reserve like I did, because you'll remember this thread:P

cutting away before deploying the reserve would have been the better thing to do had I realized the pilot chute was out.

Mrs. WaltAppel

...What concerns me is that if you *did* extract the PC the second time, but it failed to open the container, why did you go directly for the reserve handle, rather than cutting away first? A PC in tow can transform into a late-deploying main, which would have given you a two-out.. very scary indeed...

Ether,
Knowledge is power. A little knowledge can be dangerous. USPA recognizes two different ways to handle a PCIT.

1. Cutaway, deploy the reserve
2. Deploy the reserve

In the U.S., it divided about evenly amongst FJC schools on which way to go. There are good points and bad points about each, over and above what little the SIM has to say about it. See SIM 2007, Chapter 5-1, Section E, page 104.

Instead of instincts at this juncture, rely on your training whatever method it was.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...and went for it again. At that point it was still in the pouch, so I tried again. When nothing happened, I went straight for the reserve... ...my main inflated...

Relevant bits quoted. You say "nothing happened" -- does this mean you did not succeed in extracting the PC from the pouch the second time? What concerns me is that if you *did* extract the PC the second time, but it failed to open the container, why did you go directly for the reserve handle, rather than cutting away first? A PC in tow can transform into a late-deploying main, which would have given you a two-out.. very scary indeed.

Pilot chutes in tow are very scary, whether they stay in tow, turn into a two out, or turn into a bag, risers and possibly RSL being dragged through a deploying reserve.

There are upsides and downsides to either decision and as Popsjumper notes, sometimes there is no 100% right or 100% wrong decision.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

i have a racer and my bridle has the hook and latch of the velcro both on the bridle instead of one on the container and one on the briddle - most people do not know what this is for - it is to keep the bridle from preventing the pin from pulling out - on most containers people think the velcro is for routing the bridle so they use it as such - on racers the bridle is routed under the top flap and the pin comes up to the closing loop - the briddle needs to be pinched at the velcro and tucked under the top or side flap -

I was using one of my Racers to teach a rookie to pack on today, and sure enough, that Racer had the double velcro on the bridle you were talking about. In all honesty, if I noticed it before, I just assumed it was the one-piece velcro and the pilot came from some random rig which had the place on the container to stick it. I never had noticed that it was "double".

Saying that, for the life of me I can't figure out why doing that velcro or not doing it would make even the slightest bit of difference. All of that part of the bridle I tuck up under the top flap, and I can't fathom why that would matter. At least on this one rig (I've gotta start checking my other 6 Racer's to see if they have this too!) I've never used it (didn't even realize it was there) and never had a problem.

W

if the bridle gets hung up because it is tucked in around the bag the pin won't pull - hold the bridle under the flap and you will see it is hard to pull the pin now pinch the velcro and hold the bridle just above the pinch and you will see how easy the pin pulls

I just tuck it under the top flap and its quite loose under there. I can see if they jam it in somewhere where its not loose it could be a problem. That would be the same issue as on other rigs.

Are there actually Racers where the top flap is that tight to cause this issue? This isn't even a concern on my Power Racer. Or are people tucking it under the side flap or somewhere else where its not supposed to go?