nigel99

No 'window' on bridle?

Nigel. Solve the problem. Get a new PC. Order it from C-star and I'll pay for it...you pay the shipping. Simple as that. Your comfort level, and safety, is more important than the price of a new PC.

Thanks Andy that is very generous.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Nigel. Solve the problem. Get a new PC. Order it from C-star and I'll pay for it...you pay the shipping. Simple as that. Your comfort level, and safety, is more important than the price of a new PC.

Hey, I'm not very comfortable with my rig, care to help another guy out?

Just a V-3 348 with a crossfire2 169 and an optimum reserve... I'll cover the AAD.

Thanks!:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If there another way that you can be certain the pilot chute is cocked?

Great way is not to jump with a kill-line pilot chute :)
With the 1to1 loaded canopy you are jumping that kill-line is doing little to nothing for ya.

I agree with that, fo sho.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Best_Performance1.pdf

"A collapsible pilot chute will normally improve a
canopy’s glide, make it easier to land, and will often let the canopy turn more smoothly and handle
turbulence better.
Some people believe that collapsible pilot chutes are not necessary on larger canopies, but the
fact is they can improve performance on any size canopy. Even a relatively large canopy may have a full
glide speed of 30 mph or more. At this speed, an inflated pilot chute creates a substantial amount of
drag, and has a significant effect on the canopy’s performance.
"

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Best_Performance1.pdf

"A collapsible pilot chute will normally improve a
canopy’s glide, make it easier to land, and will often let the canopy turn more smoothly and handle
turbulence better.
Some people believe that collapsible pilot chutes are not necessary on larger canopies, but the
fact is they can improve performance on any size canopy. Even a relatively large canopy may have a full
glide speed of 30 mph or more. At this speed, an inflated pilot chute creates a substantial amount of
drag, and has a significant effect on the canopy’s performance.
"

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/maintenance

Using a collapsible pilot chute will improve the performance of your canopy. The increase in performance you will gain depends on the size of the canopy and the wing loading. It is a balance between the two rather than wing loading or canopy size as the pilot chute size generally remains constant rather than reducing with the canopy size.

If you are using a class 3 or below (below 1.25 PSF) or canopies above 160 sf this gain will be minimal and possibly not worth the complication.

It all comes down to risk to benefits factor. To me its not worth the hassle or risk of jumping a kill-line for a small tiny performance gain. Its one less thing to deal with packing, eliminates a point of failure and I really can not think of a scarier malfunction then a forgotten kill-line other then a horse malfunction.

Using a collapsible pilot chute will improve the performance of your canopy. The increase in performance you will gain depends on the size of the canopy and the wing loading. It is a balance between the two rather than wing loading or canopy size as the pilot chute size generally remains constant rather than reducing with the canopy size.

If you are using a class 3 or below (below 1.25 PSF) or canopies above 160 sf this gain will be minimal and possibly not worth the complication.

It all comes down to risk to benefits factor. To me its not worth the hassle or risk of jumping a kill-line for a small tiny performance gain. Its one less thing to deal with packing, eliminates a point of failure and I really can not think of a scarier malfunction then a forgotten kill-line other then a horse malfunction.

Thank you guys. I learn't more from this thread than I expected to.

The thought of a non-collapsible pilot chute had not even crossed my mind. It makes sense to remove a potential mode of malfunction if it is not giving you a reasonable benefit.

I honestly would have thought that a 170 would be affected by the pilot chute more than this reference says.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The thought of a non-collapsible pilot chute had not even crossed my mind. It makes sense to remove a potential mode of malfunction if it is not giving you a reasonable benefit.

I honestly would have thought that a 170 would be affected by the pilot chute more than this reference says.

Have someone (your rigger) help you disconnect/disable the kill-line on your current PC and make a few jumps on it and see if you can tell any difference.

PD is not God.

Right. PD exists.

*shaking head*
You should be on TV...extorting money from the atheists.

OK, lets keep this out of speakers corner territory, back to parachute stuff.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just to throw in another 2 cents, you might check out a bungee pilot chute. I use one and it doesn't need to be cocked and if the bungee fails your left with a regular pilot chute anyway. No window, no cocking, and the same effect as a kill-line pilot chute.

Thanks. I don't think a bungee pilot chute is apropriate for me. I have a planned regime for my next 50 to 100 jumps and most will be hop and pops. On top of that my new dz has static line instruction and I intend to get involved as soon as I can. That will mean more low altitude/short freefall jumps.

I still have people asking me, "you don't use a collapsable pilot chute?" when doing my pin checks, especially since I bought almost all new gear a couple years back. I feel exactly the same way -- it made sense for me (esp as a low-number jumper) to take away that one extra risk when it did not provide any reasonable benefit for me. When I'm ready to adjust, a new PC is an easy upgrade.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!