uberchris

talon 2 question

i have purchased a used talon 2, and it is built to house a 176 reserve. will a 170 suffice as a reserve, or does 6 less square feet make a huge difference? im not gonna purchase a reserve until im sure of this question.........

thanks and BS
chris
gravity brings me down.........

To expand on the answer above

176 means that it was built to hold a PD 176 reserve. This same container will hold several other reserves. But it isn't the 'nominal' size but the volume of the canopy compared to that of a PD 176. Also recognize that several individual canopies of a particular model may vary in volume by 10%. Also, canopy manufacturers measure the size of their canopies differently. So simply comparing the size from the manufacturers may not actually give their relative size. And even if two manufacturers canopies were the same size they may/will differ in performnace based on design.

What you really should have done is determine what reserves are appropriate for you based on your skill and your wing loading. Then go look for a container that would hold those reserves.

So, your container will hold several different reserves which are vary in size and performance. The reserves that fit may or may not be appropriate for you.

You need to get with some one experienced, perhaps best a rigger, that can advise you.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

"mystery canopy bulk"

You know how no matter what the size label is you have to try on jeans to make sure they fit? That 2 pairs labeled the same size may not both fit? Same with parachute.

As they are sewn a little difference in the bulk of the particular fabric bolts being used (can vary by color), the variation in seam allowance that comes from canopy to canopy and operator to operator, etc. etc. can cause a difference in the total volume of the canopy. Enough that on PD 176 or Raven II or whatever may fit in a container and another one may not.

Check out http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TSDocuments/TS-104CanopyVolume.pdf e You'll see varying numbers for different samples of the same canopy. That's why I tell my rigging customers to NOT order the absolute largest canopy that a manufacturer says will fit in their container. It may NOT!.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

it is built to house a 176 reserve

Cool, get an Optimum 193. I doubt you’ll regret being under a larger, more docile reserve when you are low looking for an alternative landing area after your first cutaway. Since you already load a 249 at 0,84 you’ll load the 193 at 1.1 which is still nice.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Normally, I'd say the price difference between $1080 for a Smart, & $1495 for an Optimum is simply too much dosh. $415 is a whole lot cheaper than busting yourself up on a bad landing, though. That's a big step down in sizing. This makes me wonder how much smaller his new main is :o???

Normally, I'd say the price difference between $1080 for a Smart, & $1495 for an Optimum is simply too much dosh. $415 is a whole lot cheaper than busting yourself up on a bad landing, though. That's a big step down in sizing. This makes me wonder how much smaller his new main is :o???

A Precision r-Max is even less, but I think a more valid comparison would be to the conventional PD reserve, so the difference in price is about $200.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

OK,
PDRs currently sell for $1155. PD still wants the full $1495 for their Optimum. That's a price difference of $340. That's still a significant price difference.

From Chutingstar the difference is $215, That is a good deal for the PD reserve - where?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am