Conquest150

Wind gust limitation

Yup - then, except for a few real dorkwads, that feeling goes away after about 70 jumps and we realize it's just another sport we personally happen to love to do.

I agree that being a skydiver doesn't make any of us a better person than anyone else on the planet. A good attitude and kind heart are much more meaningful than the length of your last swoop or the number of years you've been in the sport. But you must be a fast learner, dude! I had to do a lot more than just fall out of an airplane 70 times before I really understood that concept!

Mike, thanks for the wind speed card. I couldn't print it, but it did give me the idea to go online and find a similar chart for the Beaufort wind scale, which I was able to print... and have now memorized. I used it yesterday at the dz! Thanks.
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

A DZ I used to frequent regularly had varying winds of 20 mph to 25 mph.

If jumpers didn't want to jump, they didn't. Often times the ST&A would make it a 50 jump (B license) or 200 jump (C license) minimum. I've seen it once go to a 500 (D license) minimum.

Personally I liked the added excitement of higher winds. So I would jump - my choice.

I became quite proficient at jumping in higher winds. I'll not jump with winds higher than 30 mph - but don't hold me to it.

Then the questions becomes do I really want to jump when there are no winds? :P That's downright scary. ;)

When I asked about the wind meter, I got chewed out pretty good.

SHEESH! Did you asked them who took a whiz in their cheerios?![:/] If no one did, I'd have offered to do it for them so they would really have something to be peaved about.

Anyway, I watch the windsock. If it's sticking straight out constantly, I'm usually okay to jump. But if it's constantly shifting and all erratic, I ground myself. One time I took off in "marginal conditions", and by the time I was on final, the wind had increased dramatically. I found myself backing up quite a bit, and had my hand on the cutaway handle.

Watching other, more seasoned jumpers is a fantastic idea, but I also like watching a couple of loads land before I make a decision. Good luck, and come out and jump with me soon.

We have a wind meter;) And no one will chew you out....unless you want them to:S
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28