jonathan.newman

"E" Thread

"E" is the MilSpec for the thread. #69 is the same basic thread but has not been certified for the MilSpec. I've bought #69 in colors I can not find "E" Thread in for things like Freefly tubes and other items.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What is the difference between "E" thread and commercial designations V69 and V70? Are they all just bonded nylon thread?

Here is everything you may need to know about thread on one website. I buy a lot of thread from these guys and it is always great quality thread.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread-information

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I found another source for #69 thread. Coats and Clark sells #69 as "Heavy Duty Upholstery" thread. It does not say this on the spool or website, but I got the info directly from the manufacturer. Many local fabric stores sell this brand. I found it at Fabricland in Canada.

The spools are only 150yds, but if you really don't need 3500yds of pink, it's another option.

You should only use these types of threads for non-certified repairs. The spools should be rust/brown in color to be the Extra Strong Upholstery thread that is equivalent to #69/E threads. My local JoAnns was selling Upholstery thread on White spools, this is not E thread strength and is much less.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

...non-certified, like sewing a patch or tacking a line on a main.

Anything I'd use on a reserve, I'd like to come with a certificate of conformity.

Um.... that was sarcasm?? sorry. However, here is what I bought on Saturday to sew the zipper. That was before I read this post.

edited to add... $1.25 at Joann Fabric with a 50% off coupon.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You should only use these types of threads for non-certified repairs. The spools should be rust/brown in color to be the Extra Strong Upholstery thread that is equivalent to #69/E threads. My local JoAnns was selling Upholstery thread on White spools, this is not E thread strength and is much less.

I don't know if all Joann's are equal, but, the Plymouth, MN store had the white spools (which I almost purchased) but when I looked a little harder, they had the "rust/brown" spools on the top row in a variety of colors. :)
So, does th at mean my zipper is leagal? ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

MEL do you know what size is Coats Dual Duty XP heavy, is it like 90 ?. thanks al

It actually is about the same size or a little smaller than "E" or #69 thread.

The attached link recommends a size 16 needle which is a little smaller than the the recommended #18 needle for "E" thread.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Sewing/Threads/Dual+Duty+XP/XP+Thread+Advisor.htm

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I have ordered from these guys before and the mini cones are nice sized. The color chart is off so you might want to confirm the color prior t o making large orders since the "canary" was not much different than a beige color which is not what I thought it would be.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

how many people use Coats & Clark thread and do you have lent colging up the machine or airborne lint problem, I was ordering some needle from online wholesaler and she tell me use any thread except Coats & Clark because of lint colging problem,I use my machine inside the room where there is my office disk with computer and other electronic, last thing I need is lent problem.
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

"E" is a federal government size designation for thread. It is equivalent to Tex 70 or size 69. It is not a Mil spec at all, just a size. You can make the same size thread from cotton and still call it "E" size thread. Although in practice I've never seen anything other than bonded nylon thread referred to by this system of sizing. I'm guesing it is largely outdated.
The MIL spec for nylon bonded thread for use in parachute manufacturing is Federal Standard V-T-295 Class A, Type 2. Superseded by A-A-59826. This is from the D.J. associates website where you can order real approved thread. In sizes including E, FF, 3 cord, and 5 cord.

http://djassociates.thomasnet.com/viewitems/thread-nylon-thread/thread?&bc=100|1016

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.