airdave98

New Rigger needs sewing machine advice

Hi, I'm a new rigger and need advice on which sewing machine to purchase. I need something compact, inexpensive (of course), and capable of sewing through several layers of cordura and jumpsuit material. So, all you riggers out there, what's the biggest bang for my buck? Thanks :-)

I've got a Singer 31-15 (straight stitch only, no reverse) that does awesome at canopy repairs, does pretty good as far as jumpsuit repairs and can even just barely punch a couple layers of TY-8 with E-thread.

Anything heavier or needing a zig-zag I use my Sailrite LSZ-1. They market it as 'if it fits under the presser foot, it will sew' so far, I haven't had any problems and can push E-thread all day long with it (even got bored and punched 6 or 8 layers of TY-8 with it). I bet if I could find bigger needles, it could push 5 cord too.

I've seen the 31-15's on craigslist for $25 (head only), good luck finding a used LSZ-1 for less than $500...

I believe Paul (likestojump) has a 20u (head only) in the classifieds that would be a great all around machine, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=105804;d=1

If I needed a zig-zag, I'd be pretty interested in that too.

ETA: Pic, singer on left, LSZ-1 on right.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Inexpensive is relative. Under $100, $200, $500, $1000?

I did a lot with a metal gear home machine for many years. It still builds toggles better than anything else. A 1960's viking or necchi. I've actually wore out two. These go for $250 these days, or more. Anything less isn't much good.

A Singer 20U is a classic first machine but often not recommended now by many. Don't get the cheapest new one, they are Chinese junk. Look for a used tan or blue one made in Japan. Part readily available.

Many others are often mentioned and recommended. A Necchi BU on a commercial stand may work but I'm still tinkering with one I have. Also available as a home machine (small motor on head)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I picked up a mint Japanese 20U33 for $375 with almost new motor and table. It runs nice and can handle thick stuff. For lighter stuff I picked up a Singer 500. It is a surprising strong home machine that can do zigzag and lots of other stitches. The 400 and 500 series Slant-o-matic are all about the same. Keep an eye out and you can find them for under a hundred bucks. Did a test and it could handle 6 layers of thick denim with 69 thread.

YMMV
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Im a new rigger as well got my ticket in July and since then I have picked up a Singer 20U (blue japanese model) and it works great for what I need. Ive done minor patch work, replaced zippers, built a handy cam glove and other stuff. I also have a small singer home machine that will run E thread. I picked up both machines for next to nothing. look around deals will come up! hope this helps!

~Tom

I see them come up on Craigslist all the time. Do searches for "Industrial machine" or "Commercial machine" along with
'Sewing machine". Sometimes they want a mint for them but sometimes they just want it gone or don't know what it is or what it is worth. If you find one, check it out with some riggers that you know and see if this is something you could use.

I've been down to one machine for a while but if you're not careful they can multiply.

Hi, I'm a new rigger and need advice on which sewing machine to purchase. I need something compact, inexpensive (of course), and capable of sewing through several layers of cordura and jumpsuit material. So, all you riggers out there, what's the biggest bang for my buck? Thanks :-)