TerminalGravity

Comfiest container for bigger guys?

Hey guys, I am a fairly new jumper and am starting to piece together my first rig. I have decided to go with a new container rather than searching for months for a used one that fits me. I am 6 foot 1 and 220lbs and am just looking for some opinions on comfort of containers. I have jumped a JO (D18 harness) and a G4 (M7, with articulation) liking the Mirage better of those two. Any opinions from some bigger jumpers would be appreciated. Thanks and Blue Skies!

Have you looked at the Racer 2K3 From Parachute Laboratories Inc, in Deland Florida ? Also known as http://jumpshack.com/

The Racer has a track record of performance with the "Reserve Deployment System". That will be important when you cutaway low or your AAD fires at 750 feet.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I'm a big guy.

Any container that is custom fit and built will be comfortable. I've had Javelins, Icons, Mirages, and now I've got a Vector on order - none of them had significant differences from the point of view of pure comfort. The most important thing is that the rig is measured by someone who knows how to measure for rigs, and that it's built to fit you.

Pick your container by looking at the options that are important to you (eg, Skyhook). If it's custom built, it will be comfortable.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Nope! I am 6'3" and weigh 225 without gear. My wings is by far the most comfortable rig I've ever owned. I suppose spacer foam on any rig will help but I really love my Wings. Their customer service rocks too! I jumped a Racer a few times that came close but nothing like this.

I have heard a lot of compliments on the Wings container especially for comfort under canopy.

If you are "fairly new" as a jumper, then you should consider ony a rig with a workable-reliable RSL. Start from there.

'Check the Steven's Line' ! :)

FIFTY years in the sport and THAT's the best advice ya can give?! :P:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

All custom built rigs will serve you well ( don't forget the Infinity for us big guys).
But, also take a strong look at the Wings EXT.
In addition, Wings can accommodate a disparate reserve to main ratio.
I had a Precision 249-M reserve with an Icarus 169 main.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The general concensus seems to be a custom fit rig, no matter who makes it, will be pretty comfortable. That said, taking the RSL into consideration and speaking to my rigger, I'm really digging the asthetics of the Talon FX. The price is also eye catching at $2050 with SS hardware and hip articulation included B| Anyone have any experience with Rigging Innovations gear?

The general concensus seems to be a custom fit rig, no matter who makes it, will be pretty comfortable. That said, taking the RSL into consideration and speaking to my rigger, I'm really digging the asthetics of the Talon FX. The price is also eye catching at $2050 with SS hardware and hip articulation included B| Anyone have any experience with Rigging Innovations gear?

You might want to call them and make sure they can make a container big enough to hold the canopies you will (should) be using (big canopies if you're wise). Look at the bottom of the page:

http://www.rigginginnovations.com/products/talon_fx.htm
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

from the Wings website.

2. THE WINGS EXT
The Longer, Sleeker Wings! The Wing EXT series is specifically designed for taller jumpers (generally 5'10" and up). If you fly small (under 120 square foot) high performance mains but like the security of a larger reserve (i.e.: 79 Velocity and a PD 126) the EXT might be for you.

Please note that this container is NOT for people jumping 150 canopies and over. And also note that this container does not have any extra options, it doesn't cost anything more. It's just a different shape.

Link to that page

http://www.skydivewings.com/index.php?page=our_products

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

Here,
I think the price is off by about $700, but that's what haggling is for:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=119624;d=1

The most comfy rig is the one that lets you still sit down comfortably after paying for it. Big Boy rigs come available in the classifieds, periodically. You're going to be hard on your first container. Why tear up a brand new one? Good Luck.