jws3

PC Size

I got a new (used, but it's new for me) container and I'd like to use the bridle and pilot chute from my old container with it. The main reason is that it's newer, less worn, and I like the handle. My original PC is slightly larger than the one that came with the container I bought (by an inch or two).

My question is: how much does pilot chute size matter? I'm going to use the same main canopy, but the new container and D-bag are a bit smaller. Is there anything wrong with extracting the D-bag a little faster?

I fly with a Jim Cazar 24" PC, before that I flew a 33" PC, they both worked quite well. I had no problems with either. Whichever canopy brand you choode to go with will generally steer you in the right direction.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

My question is: how much does pilot chute size matter? I'm going to use the same main canopy, but the new container and D-bag are a bit smaller. Is there anything wrong with extracting the D-bag a little faster?

'A little faster' could be the difference between nice openings and interesting ones. What are the pilot chutes made out of? (F111 or ZP)

Is the bridle the same length? Longer? Shorter?

You probably wouldn't notice an inch or two difference in PC, but you could (that's why we have different sized PC's - for different size canopies)

Check with the MFGR of the main and ask them what the recommended set up for that canopy is. ;)

ETA: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=145269;search_string=pilot%20chute%20size;#145269
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'll measure the see exactly what the PC and bridle differences are. Why does the canopy size matter? It seems like as the canopy is coming out of the D-bag, the pilot chute collapses and is done doing its job.

Canopies have different weights, you wouldn't want to put a PC that has to pull a big heavy 260 canopy out on something the size of a 97 because it will pull with too much force.

Also, if all you're doing is sub-terminal hop and pops, you want a bigger PC to create more drag at slower speeds, but a smaller one for terminal.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Here's a link to Chutingstar. Scroll down to read the text about PC sizing.

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/collapsible-main-pilot-chute.html

"The Cazer Pilot Chutes come in 24", 28" and 30" sizes, and standard or wingsuit bridle lengths. The 24" size is designed for canopies 150 square-feet or smaller. The 28" size is designed for canopies 160-square-feet to 230-square-feet. The 30" sizes is designed for canopies 240-square-feet or larger and/or for some wingsuit or AFF student applications. "

Check rig and/or canopy manufacturers for more info.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My original PC is slightly larger than the one that came with the container I bought

yea mine was too, you got to man handle it in the container to get the cones in to pin them.... now that I got a jumbo 27 ft PC and a new container, I like the larger size PC........;):P
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

My original PC is slightly larger than the one that came with the container I bought

yea mine was too, you got to man handle it in the container to get the cones in to pin them.... now that I got a jumbo 27 ft PC and a new container, I like the larger size PC........;):P

:D:D:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia