kallend

Question for long distance drivers

I'm driving from Chicago to New Jersey (Crosskeys, near Philadelphia) next week.

Any advice on the route, places to avoid, where the cops are nasty, etc.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Don't speed in Ohio...the cops there suck. It's a boring drive: I-80 from Chicago all the way to New Jersey? There are some pretty views in Pennsylvania. Look for one about 1/3 of the way through on the left side of the road. It's my favorite view on the whole trip. The road overlooks a huge valley with some scattered farms.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Coming through PA the turnpike is the quickest route, but I think will cost you around $12 for the length of the state. Rule of thumb for PA/NJ is 10 over the speed limit. I usually go about 15 over on highways and haven't gotten a ticket in 11 years.

I'll be there Friday through Monday (weather permitting)...say Hi.

If you take any route other then 80 through Ohio the local cops are really hard up for money and are arresting for about anything. Also the legal DUI limit just droped from .1 to .08 here. State sales tax also jumped by 1% this week so if you can make it to the boarder in either direction it will save you a little money since a 3 cents per gallon tax just kicked in on Monday night too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As a professional longhaul truckdriver I advise you to fly.

But if your gonna drive,
Be real easy on the pedal through Ohio ( no more than 5-10 over (unless you can get in a pack/convoy), get yourself a cheap CB and a Wilson antenna ( magnetic roof mount) this will enable you to get reports from truckers on where the bears (cops) are, traffic jams (and how to get around them), weather ect..., stay on the toll roads ( they cost ya a little $$but are much faster!), if you get a little sleepy pull over and take a nap (please!), be nice to the truckers;)

"SWEET"

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Youre pretty much screwed into having to run the turmpikes(I-80) in IL, ID, and Ohio. You could find a way off in Ohio but the construction there is a complete nightmare! Avoid Cleveland at peak hours if at all possible. I-80 turns to (and I 76 is toll road)regular free way at PA but there was a section of it closed somwhere about the 173 mile marker a week ago... but they might be done now. Jersey is not that bad as long as your not there at peak hours.

My best advice... plan on a couple of construcion delays, and try to hit the larger areas at early morning late evening if possible...

I just made a similar run last week. Boy was that a trip.

good luck! Have fun!

edited b/c of my punk ass spellin skillz
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

fly!

Well I would, only I hate hauling a rig, weight belt, jumpsuits, helmets and kitchen sink through airport security and then having to rent a car at the other end.

I reckon door to door if I fly is around 7 - 8 hours, and the drive should be around 12 (and I do it on my own schedule too), so I wouldn't save a whole lot of time. Plus TSA won't cut open my rig looking for contraband model rocket motors or illicit nail files and crochet needles.

Youre pretty much screwed into having to run the turmpikes(I-80) in IL, ID, and Ohio.

And there aren't very many McDonalds on the freakin turnpike either!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

ahhhh... yes another example of you can take a redneck out of his trailer but you can take the non-abbreviation knowin redneck out of him! ;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I'm driving from Chicago to New Jersey (Crosskeys, near Philadelphia) next week.

tell Elaine D. I said hi ! ;)

He'd better say hi! And you should get your butt out east too, since you never bothered to introduce yourself to me in Chicago! At least John made sure to see me there! LOL

Anyway, John, we've made the trip a number of times and you're probably right, it's about 12 hours, but not a bad drive. When are you getting in?

Elaine
NNFS#3
D-7863

tell Elaine D. I said hi ! ;)

He'd better say hi! And you should get your butt out east too, since you never bothered to introduce yourself to me in Chicago! At least John made sure to see me there! LOL

Anyway, John, we've made the trip a number of times and you're probably right, it's about 12 hours, but not a bad drive. When are you getting in?

Elaine
NNFS#3
D-7863

Hi Sweetie: Do you like the pic of you and Sylvia on the FB site? And "the other one".

I'll be leaving around 5:00a.m. CDT Wednesday, so about 12 hours after that. Staying at the Rest Inn.

. . .
He'd better say hi! And you should get your butt out east too, since you never bothered to introduce yourself to me in Chicago! At least John made sure to see me there! LOL . . .

Damn, another slap in the face - I see I've got a lot of making up to do. :$

i've made the drive from columbus ohio to cross keys before and it took me about 9 hours. i took i70 the whole way untill it turned into the pa turnpike and then folowed it untill it ended near philly.... coincidently i met phillykev on that trip... well him and stacy and froggie(kelly) and evn fruce (well just in pasing not actually introduced) have fun...........

phree, thanks for the update on the tax thing.... i thought i was giving ohio enough of my taxes.. oh well.. lok like i might have to change reseency to texas or florida and void the income tax for a state i don't live in...... if ohio only let me register my car withought having to title it ther i would be happy... but it's to much a hasle to get it from the my lending institution....

As a professional longhaul truckdriver I advise you to fly.

But if your gonna drive,
Be real easy on the pedal through Ohio ( no more than 5-10 over (unless you can get in a pack/convoy), get yourself a cheap CB and a Wilson antenna ( magnetic roof mount) this will enable you to get reports from truckers on where the bears (cops) are, traffic jams (and how to get around them), weather ect..., stay on the toll roads ( they cost ya a little $$but are much faster!), if you get a little sleepy pull over and take a nap (please!), be nice to the truckers;)

"SWEET"

Well, the drive took 10 hrs 55 mins (my house to dropzone). Those who flew from ORD had a weather delay and took as long as I did. Ohio didn't seem too bad, but lots of police on the PA turnpike (in addition to its being a crummy road).

Here's a good reason not to fly if you have a reasonable alternative:
www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=567813#567813