nigel99

Field pack safety?

I have packed my rig today, but have 3 or 4 broken bungees and also had problems getting slippery zp into the bag. The result is a closed container but the 'packjob' is unjumpable.

What is a good way to ensure in future that you dont forget and jump the rig? There is no danger at the moment as the reserve is out of date. I am just pre-empting the day in the future where a similiar situatuon may occur.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Once you get back to your car or home, open it back up and stretch it out so that you'll be forced to pack it again before you can jump it.

Carry spare stow bands (and a pull-up cord) in a jumpsuit pocket so that you can replace them in the field when they break.

What is a good way to ensure in future that you dont forget and jump the rig?

Do not pack unjumpable gear.
Seriously! >:(

When that happend to me a few years ago I placed the bag in the rig and the rig in the gearbag. I did not close the rig.
It has also happend to me when I packed student gear.
Wear was found on the bag after I bagged the canopy, I stoped packing the gear put it aside and ducttaped on a big note.

What is a good way to ensure in future that you don't forget and jump the rig?

Do not pack UNjumpable gear.
Seriously! >:(

When that happened to me a few years ago I placed the bag in the rig and the rig in the gear-bag. I did not close the rig.
It has also happened to me when I packed student gear.
Wear was found on the bag after I bagged the canopy, I stopped packing the gear put it aside and duct-taped on a big note.

You shouldn't pack it in a manner that it 'looks' jump-able...never know what can happen. IMO ya wanna make it so there IS no question as to the status...in fact when my reserve is out of date I put the rig on and dump that.

Practice the EP for a total, lets me know the PC will come out even if the flaps are tight because of the main still there..and no question, it won't be jumped 'out of date'.

For a 'field pack' of the main, I just put it all in the pack tray, pilot chute and all... and then tie it closed loosely with a pull-up.

You can see the bag & P.C. through the non-pinned flaps, leaves no doubt.

Don't like the duct tape thing, sticky icky goo can get on stuff...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

as twardo said DO NOT PACK unjumpable gear. back in the 60's an instructor at lakewood nj (PI) grabbed a reserve that had been field packed and closed as normal. had a 'function and deployed the reserve(or at least tried) but the lines had been daisy chainned ,and wouldnt open. he died of his injuries after landing in a swamp

thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of packing the pilot chute in the main tray. The suggestions of leaving it unpacked aren't always practical - much more maneagable packed.

As I will be sharing my gear with my wife, it is important. Just because I know what state it is in, doesnt mean she would in the future.

I'll be ordering a bunch of stows tomorrow so that I am not caught short again.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of packing the pilot chute in the main tray. The suggestions of leaving it unpacked aren't always practical - much more manageable packed.

As I will be sharing my gear with my wife, it is important. Just because I know what state it is in, doesn't mean she would in the future.

I'll be ordering a bunch of stows tomorrow so that I am not caught short again.

One other thing to consider~

I 'ALWAYS' put it in a heavy plastic bag and then put that into the gear bag. The whole thing is manageable and nothing can get on the container or canopy (if not packed) in the way of liquids, odors, etc.

The dang things just COST too much to take ANY chances! :)

Just a thought. ;)

As I will be sharing my gear with my wife,

This makes it doubly more important that it be obvious that the rig cannot be jumped in the condition it's in so that SHE doesn't make that mistake sometime when you aren't there.

Yes, yes, ...she won't go without you....maybe.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Get a gear bag big enough to hold your rig with your main unpacked. I use two. One for the rig and one for all the other junk I carry. (multiple jump suits, lights, helmets, etc, etc.)

They don't have to be fancy gear bags from a parachute dealer. Mine are generic unstructured duffel bags.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've only done this twice ever, its often easier to either fix whatever problem there is or put it unpacked in the gear bag. For those two times I didn't close the side flaps and didn't remove the pull-up cord, letting it hang out. That makes it rather obvious that it shouldn't be jumped, yet everything is held in place for easy transportation. Would one still in some way miss it and jump with it, it might still open in some way...

Have you tried using cable ties (preferably that match your rig colours) to secure your cutaway and reserve handles in place?

Please, PLEASE tell me you're joking!!

DON'T ZIP TIE ANYTHING ON THE RIG
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Have you tried using cable ties (preferably that match your rig colours) to secure your cutaway and reserve handles in place?

:D:D:D

My original question was serious. There have been suggestions about gear bags etc that are good and I have a bag that holds my unpacked gear.

But there will be occasional times when it is better for the rig to be self contained. First thing that comes to mind is an off landing, requiring a hitch hike from a stranger. I could just assume that it will never happen or that as soon as I arrive I will dump it out. But if I ever do have to do it I will pack the pilot chute into the main tray. Simple and safe.

Or just pack it in the field, that way when you get back, you can manifest right away and remember to check the spot this time.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

First thing that comes to mind is an off landing, requiring a hitch hike from a stranger.

There's yer problem right there...spot better and ya won't BE getting in cars with strangers'! :P

Spotting is for wimps:P Besides how else am I going to look cool to whuffo chicks?

But there will be occasional times when it is better for the rig to be self contained. First thing that comes to mind is an off landing, requiring a hitch hike from a stranger. I could just assume that it will never happen or that as soon as I arrive I will dump it out. But if I ever do have to do it I will pack the pilot chute into the main tray. Simple and safe.

Why wouldn't you just completely pack it the right way?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

First thing that comes to mind is an off landing, requiring a hitch hike from a stranger. I could just assume that it will never happen or that as soon as I arrive I will dump it out. But if I ever do have to do it I will pack the pilot chute into the main tray. Simple and safe.

Take off your jumpsuit and stuff the canopy into it. Zip it up.

This also helps if you need to cross barbed-wire fences.

It does help if you have something like street clothes on under the jumpsuit.

Why wouldn't you just completely pack it the right way?

No rubberbands with him...:)

Don't know where he learned to jump, but I have a pull up cord, $20 and a bunch of rubbers... never know where you're gonna land! :$

(I haven't landed off since AFF though and it wasn't my spot!) B|

I also keep some rubber bands handy :):D

Don't know where he learned to jump, but I have a pull up cord, $20 and a bunch of rubbers... never know where you're gonna land! :$

Bad Spot / Off Landing 'Survival Kit' contents check.

In it you'll find:

one forty-five caliber automatic;
two boxes of ammunition;
four days' concentrated emergency rations;
one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills;
one miniature combination 'Wuffo' phrase book and Bible;
one hundred dollars in rubles;
one hundred dollars in gold;
nine packs of chewing gum;
one issue of prophylactics;
three lipsticks;
three pair of nylon stockings.

~ AND a pull-up cord...:)

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff. :$:ph34r:

Bad Spot / Off Landing 'Survival Kit' contents check.

In it you'll find:

one forty-five caliber automatic;
two boxes of ammunition;
four days' concentrated emergency rations;
one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills;
one miniature combination 'Wuffo' phrase book and Bible;
one hundred dollars in rubles;
one hundred dollars in gold;
nine packs of chewing gum;
one issue of prophylactics;
three lipsticks;
three pair of nylon stockings.

~ AND a pull-up cord...:)

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff. :$:ph34r:

He still wouldn't have had any stow bands.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo