adolfocamerano

xaos 21

The OP asks about a canopy where only the front 3/4 of the canopy's inner cells are cross braced, not a canopy that has cross bracing in the center cells and not the outer cells. Sounds like a Xaos21 and not a Neos to me.

Upon examination of available photos of each canopy on respective company websites, it is clear that the cross braces in the Xaos21 do not extend all the way to the tail like some other 21 cell cross braced canopies such as the JFX and Velocity, nor does it like other 27 cell cross braced canopies such as the Xaos27, JVX, and VX.

While the Xaos21 may be a "true cross braced canopy" it still has more separation between the tail-most cross brace and the tail. Forgive me if I have misunderstood, but I believe the OP wants to know about that design in relation to performance. I'm curious too :)

There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day and try it.
-- Douglas Adams

Sorry I was speaking in terms of spanwise, not chordwise. You are correct that the Xaos-21 crossbraces do not go to the tail in the center cells, and here is the reason: there is very little advantage of "crossbracing" in a section of the canopy which has the thinnest airfoil element. Remember, at the peak camber of the wing, the crossbracing is at an angle with respect to the loadbearing ribs, but as you get closer to the trailing edge, the crossbracing becomes almost horizontal or parallel with the lower surface, just adding bulk without any vertical support component.

George Galloway
Precision Aerodynamics

continuous suspension lines. By eliminating the suspension line cascades we have done several very important things. We have eliminated a library of malfunctions associated with cascaded suspension lines,
--------------------------------------------------------------
what kind of malfunction dose it eliminated, can you elaborate on this more, thanks al
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

Most jumpers who have been around awhile have seen or experienced cascaded canopies having:

1) Slider hang-ups
2) broken line at the cascades
3) lost 2 line attachment points when you eventually DO break a line
4) slider stops hanging in cascades
5) brake release on deployment and toggle hanging up in cascades.

I'm sure there are others, but that's what first comes to mind at 2:00am on Christmas morning.