JerseyShawn

Canopy colors, fade/wear...

So Im upsizing due to my work schedule in 2012. Working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, for two months at a time, then Ill have a full month dedicated for fun and traveling to different DZs (some with higher elevations from what Im used to, plan on doing about 60 jumps at the same DZ at a time wherever I decide to go). Getting some tunnel in there at night while Im working should keep me flying alright:)
I put 41 jumps on my Pilot (1.06:1) since the 210 I was renting, not enough to be comfortable jumping it after 2 months off I would think. So I want to play it safer and get a ZPX 210 Pilot (.95:1) to shove in my container. Im thinking 22 extra square feet might keep my bones together if Im in a shitty situation.

So to my question about fabric colors. What colors wear the least from UV light? Here's the limited ZPX colors I have to choose from https://www.flyaerodyne.com/atools/web.asp?go=custom (click on Pilot, then click on ZPX).

I really enjoy doing high altitude hop and pops, so my canopy will be exposed to the sun a bit more than usual. So Im looking to keep the fabric lasting as long as possible. Maybe there's no difference in UV wear in different colors, so Im asking. School me! (Not able to get to a DZ for 3 weeks due to work, so Im here asking).

Thanks!

i seriously dont think going from 1.06 to 0.98 is going to be of any consequence to you.
Save your money and stay with the 1.06 loading
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i seriously dont think going from 1.06 to 0.98 is going to be of any consequence to you.

Thanks for the reply. I hardly noticed a difference between the 210 and 188, just a slight bit faster, which I've gotten used to and land where I want to.

My concern is where I jump now, is about 100 ft. AMSL. If I go to say Colorado to jump its about 5400 ft. AMSL. I would be coming in faster to maintain my lift. With a 188 at 5400 it would be like downsizing? Or am I wrong?

The price difference with selling my current canopy and getting a new one doesn't concern me (not that much actually, considering its fairly new). Landing safely does at different DZs though.

I picked bright colors because of trees and other canopy-hiding vegetation surrounding DZs.
:o

Doesn't look like you have that problem at Davis. Nor at Hollister and Byron.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks for the reply. I hardly noticed a difference between the 210 and 188, just a slight bit faster, which I've gotten used to and land where I want to.

My concern is where I jump now, is about 100 ft. AMSL. If I go to say Colorado to jump its about 5400 ft. AMSL. I would be coming in faster to maintain my lift. With a 188 at 5400 it would be like downsizing? Or am I wrong?

The price difference with selling my current canopy and getting a new one doesn't concern me (not that much actually, considering its fairly new). Landing safely does at different DZs though.

All that considered i dont think there will much difference in the 2 canopies, if it is of a big concern to you, you might want to go to a 230
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I picked bright colors because of trees and other canopy-hiding vegetation surrounding DZs.
:o

Doesn't look like you have that problem at Davis. Nor at Hollister and Byron.

I pick bright colors because I like people to see me. The extra advantage is that they're easier to find in vegetation (and though for much of the year the landing area and surrounding fields are brown, when they're planted, brightness helps for sure. And we do have a few canopy-eating trees around, too).

Three years on a stealth mode black Pilot with red ribs convinced me to buy bright from now on, which is why my canopies now are one that is mostly yellow with a couple orange cells, and one that is mostly orange with one navy and one white.

And Shawn, if you want to try a Pulse 210, let me know. I'm not selling either of them, but I'm happy to let you take one for a spin. It'd also fit in your rig as, like the ZPX Pilot, it packs smaller.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If I was building a custom canopy I'd choose bright and contrasting colors. For visibility under canopy, not durablility.

I used to jump a standard color "rainbow" Triathlon. I got a couple comments about how easy I was to spot while under an open canopy. These comments came from other jumpers who were in the air at the same time.

I really liked that.

I currently jump a blue/white/purple Sabre2. Ironically it was one of the canopies that was in the air when one of the "easy to spot" comments was made. The Sabre2 was the "other" canopy that wasn't as easy to spot.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And Shawn, if you want to try a Pulse 210, let me know. I'm not selling either of them, but I'm happy to let you take one for a spin. It'd also fit in your rig as, like the ZPX Pilot, it packs smaller.

Thanks for the offer! That's swell of you. Ill take you up on that, haven't jumped a Pulse yet. Ill let you know when Im able to hang out at the DZ.

Ill talk with some people in the flesh before I decide to get a canopy made or not (what they feel is a good idea).

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Tandem main canopies operate in an envelope similar to what you suggest: opening high and getitng twice as much "hang time" as the average sport jumper.
A decade ... or so ... ago, Strong Enterprises concluded that white top skins last longer than black top skins, because white reflects far more UV sunlight energy than black.

The other factor - in reducing UV damage - is time. Immediately after landing, promptly carry your canopy to a covered packing hangar.

See this thread for info about UV wear:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3131726#3131726

I remember another study I read too, but I can't find it.

Basically the bright vivid colors, like Orange, fail quickly. Rich colors such as black, and even red, last longer.

There are two issues... Color fade, and strength. This posts shows that 4 colors of the florescent variety failed strength tests.