tistouta

Hurricane 120 to learn swooping

Hi guys,

In the process of learning swooping, I am thinking about my next gear (not before ~100 more jumps on my current gear).
~500 jumps, 160 lbs

I'm jumping today with Hurricane 135, and I like it a lot.
I've done 90° turns for a few hundred jumps, I'm now in the 180° (I hate them), and will soon start 270°s.

What would you advise as next gear: same canopy, downsized, or a more modern profile such as a Xfire, or Katana (or anything else that you would recommend);

Thx for your help!

If I recall correctly a Hurricane is very similar to a Stiletto; very responsive to toggle inputs with a very short recovery arc. If you really want to focus on canopy piloting I would suggest you sell your canopy right now and pick up a Sabe2 or Safire2. Keep the same wing loading. This will give you a slightly slower canopy that swoops better (ie longer recovery arc). This will give you a much better platform to learn on. I put about 2000 jumps on a Stiletto. When I went to a longer recovery arc canopy, a Samurai, I really had to step back and 'unlearn' a lot. My sight pictures would amount to sudden death under my new gear and so I completely lost that tool. Learning to fly a less aggressive canopy in a more aggressive fashion is both safer and more useful in the long run.

You load a Hurricane? Not short compared to a Katana? Compared to a Sabre 2?
I loaded my Stiletto at 1.7-1.9 (depending on my weight) and started my 270s at around 480 ft. I now start my 270s under my Samurai (1.9-2.0) at just over 800 ft. Would you say you start closer to 480 or 800?

I load one at 1.9
Be safe
Chris

Looking at your profile I see two possibilities:
- you forgot to update your profile (jump number esp.)
- there's an inconsistency between your "Be safe" and your WL/jump#-relation.
I guess (and hope) it's the first possibility.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

You would also notice from his profile that he owns two Sigma tandem rigs (and indeed, his usual main is a 360). That would tend to point one in the right direction when pondering your question :P

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Silly me, I didn't actually look up his profile but only relied on what is being displayed next to his name. So my assumption is confirmed ;)
Anyway, the jump number should be updated.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

It's the exact canopy I started to really learning swooping on.

It had a moderate recovery arc (long for the time) and was fun to fly. Mine opened like total shit though - that canopy beat me like a red headed stepchild - every jump for 400 jumps.

I do think there are better options in todays market, but if it's what you want (or have available) it'll do just fine. What's more important is that you get a good mentor and/or training.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I do think there are better options in todays market, but if it's what you want (or have available) it'll do just fine. What's more important is that you get a good mentor and/or training.

Blues,
Ian

What would you recommend then? I won't be jumping with a 120 before a few months, so i ave time!

honest question: what exactly do you find holding you back from swooping on your sabre2?

Again, thats an honest question...not a loaded one please do not read into it! Just curious what you think since Im transitioning from a sabre1 to a sabre2 (and I have in the back of my mind someday progressing away from doublefront approaches toward 90 degree carving approach).