hackish

Smoking in the packing area?

"However I've noticed that nobody at the home DZ seems to care that the packer will do up a chute with a lit cigarette hanging out of his mouth."

That would definately NOT be tolerated over here!
Here you're not even allowed to smoke in the hangar/loft, let alone whilst packing a canopy. If I saw that happeneing I would surely adress the packer in a friendly way, if he doesn't give a shit about what you're saying to him, go talk to the owner of the rig or DZowner/manager. You're not overreacting. IMO smoking in the vicinity of an open parachute is a no go. Of course if you really do want holes in your canopy, cause that's what inevitably will happen, go ahead, but I don't want cigarettes near my canopy ... ever.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Smoking is not allowed in the hangar (packing area, classrooms, manifest, . . . anywhere) at my regular DZ, ever!

I was standing outside with a couple other smokers having a smoke at the end of the day. I absentmindedly stepped in the door with a cigarette. I was going to grab a pen or paper towel or something off the counter only 4 or 5 steps in the door - and still 10 or 15' from the packing area. I made it one step in the door and got a chorus of "Hey! Cigarette - outside!" (From the fellow smokers).

Wisconsin is not one of the states where indoor smoking in public places is banned yet - or I could have been subject to citizen's arrest.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Please educate yourself before you make claims about the study that distort the truth.

I fear you were looking in a mirror when making that statement, for nothing in my post was inaccurate. In fact, you supported it. As did the much-vaunted "WHO."

Without needing to resort to bolding to make my point, I repeat: "The study, not widely publicized, concluded that no statistically significant risk existed for nonsmokers who either lived or worked with smokers."

A very educated man reiterated that "neither increased risk was statistically significant."

Oh wait, was that you?
"Iþ ik qiþa izwis, ni andstandan allis þamma unseljin."

...I fear you were looking....

Look around YOU. This is S&T, not SC...take that crap over to SC.

On the same note you should take your "crap" profile to SC...someone as outspoken as yourself should have real profile numbers...leave the bullshit numbers to the wanabe's. :)