hackish

Smoking in the packing area?

An hour drive is not bad trade to get to a better dropzone. There is a dropzone a lot closer to my house than my home DZ. Yet, I still find driving an extra hour each way much more rewarding than going to a dropzone that I do not like. If you don't like how it's run or the people there, don't go there. Just be thankful that you have another option within a reasonable distance.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

I would ASSume that you jumped at ASS for your 1st jump ...here we are not allowed to smoke nor eat and drink on the packing matt...a bottle of water may not get anyones attention..however a lit cig near the matt will.

- snip -

If thats actually allowed and your not a troll...........then its simple........dont jump there and please let me/us know as to never visit that DZ.

Let me be clear I've not named the DZ with the smoker packer. Primarily I don't want to cause problems if it isn't a huge safety issue. I had a great experience at A.S.S and they didn't allow any smoking within 50' of the packing tent.

-Michael

If anyone smoked while packing my rig they wouldn't ever pack my rig again. Never. Smoking or not. I would report them to the DZO and DZM both.

I smoke myself and I've smoked in the hangar a few times, but several feet from the door on the concrete off the packing mat away from canopies while sitting in a chair near the side door.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I would ASSume that you jumped at ASS for your 1st jump ...here we are not allowed to smoke nor eat and drink on the packing matt...a bottle of water may not get anyones attention..however a lit cig near the matt will.

- snip -

If thats actually allowed and your not a troll...........then its simple........dont jump there and please let me/us know as to never visit that DZ.

Let me be clear I've not named the DZ with the smoker packer. Primarily I don't want to cause problems if it isn't a huge safety issue. I had a great experience at A.S.S and they didn't allow any smoking within 50' of the packing tent.

-Michael

you seem to try to project a longer time in sport
for some one with only 2 jumps at two different drop zones and all you seem to be doing is picking them to piceses with vague information
why dont you get some jump life up and then comment on they way you see things!
instead of random complaints about safety

- snip -

-Michael

for some one with only 2 jumps at two different drop zones and all you seem to be doing is picking them to piceses with vague information

Dude, STFU, What the hell are you talking about? From day one a person is taught SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. That is all. Smoking is a SAFETY issue, And it should NOT be allowed. It dosent matter to ANYONE how many jumps someone has to know whats wrong and whats not.

Ignorant man. vague information? what more do you want?

Dude, STFU, What the hell are you talking about? From day one a person is taught SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. That is all. Smoking is a SAFETY issue, And it should NOT be allowed. It dosent matter to ANYONE how many jumps someone has to know whats wrong and whats not.

I am slow on the acronyms: STFU?

Not that I condone it, but exactly how is smoking near a rig being packed a safety issue?

There may be a few points that are outside the realm of your comment about not mattering to anyone how many jumps someone has to know what’s what in the wrong department.

It is difficult at times to read someone’s demeanor when reading the written word, so I cannot tell if you are upset and frustrated, or just sharing.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I would strongly disagree. I've very often pointed out the fact that I've only got 2 jumps. That is far from trying to project more jumps or experience than I have.

For vague info - I don't think the name of the DZ is important unless I were setting out to try and destroy their reputation which I am not. I've read a lot of material on skydiving in the past 2 weeks since I became interested.

I think I was very straight up when I asked if the smoking issue was going to pose a serious safety risk to me. Then someone suggested that a non-certified rigger may not be allowed to pack my chute so I did seek clarification.

If I'm not going to take initiative to ask the questions and learn what is and isn't safe then how will I know? Maybe a cigarette burn could have caused the chute to rip in two - without asking how would I know?

I'll have more jumps as soon as there is a nice weekend on which to jump. Until then I would like to continue learning what I can.

-Michael

Keep asking questions. Sometimes people think asking questions is arrogant, rather than just a desire to understand deeper than a surface level.

It's seems particularly present in skydiving where we get a lot of "because I said so" types of answers.

We've asked pros why they do 'x' different than some other pros does 'x' (who might have coached us previously that same season). Half the people in the room are interested in the reasons, the other half take it as if we are showing disrespect to the first pro - or being uppity. :S:S:S (I'm someone from the first camp - I want to know why, not just how, and asking the pro 'why' is respectful to their efforts they made to find what worked for them)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How serious a problem would you consider this?

-Michael

Severe.

Anyone comes near my canopy with a lit smoke and its their ass.
I paid WAY too much money for it to allow some douche bag to burn little holes in it.

You got THAT right. I would get pissed too. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dude, STFU,

Okay, since I got no answer here I Googled it, turns out it stands for "Star Trek Federation University".

I don't get it.

Still curious how smoking near an unpacked rig is a safety issue (for the rig, not the ass of the person with the cig)
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Hehe, I believe it was originally intended as a "Shut The F#$! Up".

I like the trekkie interpretation better though.
Why don't you just play 'chicken' on the railroad tracks? It would be a cheaper way to toy with death, I'm sure.

CWR #2 - "You SAID collision!"

Well, that is not a very nice thing to say (more needless online tough talk), I am with you and prefer the trekkie path as well...
Mykel AFF-I10

Just a quick update. I had a quiet discussion about this with the DZO. It seems that changes will be made very rapidly. Anyone smoking near a chute will be tazered dragged out and then shot (didn't want blood or bullet holes in a chute). He also realised that he was setting a bad example because people would ask him questions and he would step inside the tent with a smoke still going. So there it is - changes from the top down.

-Michael

Just a quick update. I had a quiet discussion about this with the DZO. It seems that changes will be made very rapidly. Anyone smoking near a chute will be tazered dragged out and then shot (didn't want blood or bullet holes in a chute). He also realised that he was setting a bad example because people would ask him questions and he would step inside the tent with a smoke still going. So there it is - changes from the top down.

-Michael

Well done! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Anyone smoking near a chute will be tazered dragged out and then shot (didn't want blood or bullet holes in a chute).

Bad idea. It's much more fun to grab the offender with a lasso, then drag him kicking and screaming to his appointment with the bullet. The Tazer is too politically correct, and there is actually a small chance that the electric shock could kill him prematurely.

On a serious note, I'm glad to hear the DZO listened and understood, and was willing to change his program to meet the concerns of his customers. That's exactly how the system should work, and I'd say you are both due a virtual pat on the back for making the effort.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well, that is not a very nice thing to say (more needless online tough talk), I am with you and prefer the trekkie path as well...

your right, good thing I wasn't talking to you huh? ;)

again, simply put, its a safety issue, and again, the whole mindset (its not mine, I don't care about it) is pretty wrong too. I think the issue is clear here. Glad you got your dz to change your ways.

If is an indoor packing area, then there is the second hand smoke issue

In 1998, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer released the largest ever and best formulated study on ETS. The research project ran for 10 years and in seven European countries. The study, not widely publicized, concluded that no statistically significant risk existed for nonsmokers who either lived or worked with smokers.
"Iþ ik qiþa izwis, ni andstandan allis þamma unseljin."

If the study was in 7 European countries, how did they find a non-smoking environment as a control group?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just a quick update. I had a quiet discussion about this with the DZO. It seems that changes will be made very rapidly...

I'm impressed! How cool is that?
:)
Good stuff, Michael!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hi

If you know the packer is smoking while working so does everyone else at the DZ.:o If there's a accident to the DZ/jumpers gear due to the cigs there will just be some holes in the nylon due to melting. Cold Ash's won't have any affect on the canopy

IMO Don't whine about the human chimney packing other peoples/DZ gear:), it's still safe enough for you to jump.

Stay upwind of the human chimney so your temple doesn't get polluted from the second hand smoke, and when you get your own gear don't let him pack it.

Problem solved, Enjoy yourself, don't worry be happy.

Yeah no prblem at all, unless of course the guy drops his cig on the cnaopy and it happens to land on an ATTACHEMNT POINT the you small hole becomes more of a problem. And from the OP the guy is packing the gear the OP is jumping
I'l betting you are a smoker Krip
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Squeak

How you doing? Not trying to flame you just responding to your post.:)

In rersponse to your post/bet I'm not a smoker, never have been and have never seen someone pack another persons rig while smoking.>:(

I think I have seen some peeps pack their own gear while smoking:S, but I'm not the DZ packing nazi.:)
I think packing & smokeing is what it is:S but I've never heard of a mal being caused by gear damaged by a smoker while packing.

If the gear was damaged by a burning cig/match and it caused a mal it would be very easy to identify. I haven't heard of it in 40 yr's.

Does anyone know of such a mal?

If is an indoor packing area, then there is the second hand smoke issue

In 1998, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer released the largest ever and best formulated study on ETS. The research project ran for 10 years and in seven European countries. The study, not widely publicized, concluded that no statistically significant risk existed for nonsmokers who either lived or worked with smokers.

Please educate yourself before you make claims about the study that distort the truth. :)
Quote: "The study in question is a case-control study on the effects of ETS on lung cancer risk in European populations, which has been carried out over the last seven years by 12 research centres in 7 European countries under the leadership of WHO's cancer research branch -- the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

The results of this study, which have been completely misrepresented in recent news reports, are very much in line with the results of similar studies both in Europe and elsewhere: passive smoking causes lung cancer in non-smokers.

The study found that there was an estimated 16% increased risk of lung cancer among non-smoking spouses of smokers. For workplace exposure the estimated increase in risk was 17%.
However, due to small sample size, neither increased risk was statistically significant."

Source - directly from the WHO itself:

http://www.who.int/inf-pr-1998/en/pr98-29.html

If you need clarification of what statistically significant means you can find it here:

http://www.tobaccoscam.ucsf.edu/Secondhand/Secondhand_iih_internal_3.cfm

About the subject at hand:

I think the original poster handed it VERY well as did the DZO.