brbjumping

Harness Sizing Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy some new gear and looking for some tips regarding harness sizing.

I've heard from people who tried to measure themselves following the tips from Mirage... and when they got sized by a local dealer they came at very different numbers. (Measuring Guide here: http://miragesys.com/support/instructions/harness-measuring-guide/)

I'd like to get measured by a dealer, but since it's winter up here all the DZ's I know about are closed. Are there any special considerations that need to be made while sizing, or is following the mirage measuring guide good?

I followed the Mirage measuring guide when I measured myself and it worked well for me. I was very careful and made sure to take each measurement at least twice to ensure that I got the same value each time.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The best person to measure you is a sales rep from the harness manufacturer.
A close second is your local parachute rigger.
Most tailors/seamstresses are pretty good at measuring you for a new harness.

You are the worst person to measure yourself.

Hint: when I worked at Rigging Innovations, half of the customers - who complained about poor-fitting harnesses - had measured themselves.

Bottom line, harness measuring techniques are based on standard tailoring techniques.

DO NOT TRY TO MEASURE YOURSELF!!!

You need to stand normally to get the measurements right.
You can't stand normally and bend over to get the measurements at the same time.

Following any of the manufacturer's guides is what you have to do (obviously follow the guide for the rig you are getting).

It's not real hard. Just make sure you are following the instructuins. For example, Velocity's site specifies how the thigh measurment is taken - it doesn't go just around the thigh, it also goes up to the point of the hip (just like your legstrap will). As long as you make sure you are following the instructions you will be fine.
You can always ask the manufacturer if you have any questions. They have been really good about that sort of thing in my experience.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo