Ion01

Soft link installation question...

Here is the manual from Aerodyne on how to install the soft links: http://www.flyaerodyne.com/download/SoftLinkManual.pdf
My first question is the sowing that is done to secure the ring: Does that have to be done by a master rigger or can it be done by me?
It doesn't appear as though you are tying the ring to the riser but instead making a large knot in the middle of the ring to help retain its position, is this actually the case?
If I can do it what size thread and needle do I need?
If a rigger has to do it do they typically have what is needed for this or do I need to get some for the rigger?

Normally I would just go to my DZ and ask my rigger but they are closed for december and january so I am planning to go to Skydive Dallas next week and don't know any riggers there and I don't want to be unprepared and not get to jump it due to this little issue. Thanks!

The penalty for doing this incorrectly is severe.

If you're not sure, get a rigger to do it. Call the drop zone and ask them if a rigger will be available when you arrive, that can do it in a timely manner for you, so you can still jump.

Even if you muddle through this yourself, you still need to have a rigger check your work before you jump to make sure it's correct.

And if you're installing soft links, that implies that you're also installing a canopy to the risers, or installing new risers on a rig. Those things should be checked by a rigger too, if you're not absolutely certain of what you are doing. And since your profile indicates you have only 125 jumps, that seems like a good idea. In fact, it's a good idea to have a second person check such work no matter how many jumps someone has.

You'll see that it is really simple once the rigger shows you how to do it. Take the opportunity to watch and learn a bit more about rigging
The work is done with waxed tack cord (I'm pretty sure you don't have it)
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

What is the penalty you're referring to?

Incidentally I never found it necessary to tack soft links from either PD or Precision, I don't know about Aerodyne's links. I did tack a set once using something lightweight from my wife's sewing room, the tacks held up fine and were easy to remove later, also it had occurred to me that lightweight thread was good so if for any reason stress was put on the tack it would easily break. Then again I'm not a rigger.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

it is possible to tack the slinks too far from the end of the riser, That can add some wear and tear to your risers (and slink) if your using supertack. The breaking strenght can be upwards of 160 lbs depending on how you tack. So it is possible you could be hanging from a chunk of supertack and a partial piece of slink inside the riser if you screw it up real bad;)

I think JR may have been refering to a total slink install:)

Incidentally I never found it necessary to tack soft links from either PD or Precision, I don't know about Aerodyne's links. I did tack a set once using something lightweight from my wife's sewing room, the tacks held up fine and were easy to remove later, also it had occurred to me that lightweight thread was good so if for any reason stress was put on the tack it would easily break. Then again I'm not a rigger.

I would guess he was referring to the installation part being done incorrectly, not the tacking part.

I have had a number of self-assembled links come back with the end loops passed over the locking tab (PD) or over the ring (Aerodyne). The proper way is to pass the end through the small loop under the tab/ring adn then over the tab/ring thus locking it in place. One set came from someone with just over 100 skydives who wanted to be self sufficient, the other came from someone with over 5000 skydives ?!?

The point is that one should be following the manual very closely and not improvise; and if in doubt - get yourself double checked.

I would guess he was referring to the installation part being done incorrectly, not the tacking part.

Correct. But even the tacking, or rather the lack thereof, can cause a problem. I believe we've had one fatality caused by a slink ring that wasn't secured inside the riser, and a steering line half-hitched around the protruding ring, causing steering problems.