RevJim

22 days

22 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes, and 45 seconds....

Without a smoke, and honestly....

NO CRAVINGS!!!!

Hot damn, this feels good! :)
Too bad I hopped on the electronic scale last night before bed, nekkid, and it read 178. That's up 28 pounds over Rantoul 2002. [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

hey Jim,
try drinking water (or even milk) when you get a craving..
water is heavy so it will fill your stomach and you will clean your system at the same time
I chewed on my guitar picks all day when I was quitting. (thats some thing i think all guitarist do anyway)
it wasnt a new thing but if I didnt have gum I chewed a guitar pick.
also if you cant figure out what to do with your hands...twirl a pencil or something
My photos

My Videos

i'm on day 3 after two relapses due to alcohol. longest stretch was a month...

took 3 days just to get the nasty sik feeling out of my throat and sinuses

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

kyle,
my trick was to go out on the first weekend I decided to quit and get as drunk as possible..and NOT smoke. I had all my friends in oon it. I told them that if they got me to smoke I would buy em all a carton of cigarettes and a round of beer!

they lost and it separated my habits!
now I can drink in comfort! LOL
My photos

My Videos

i'm on day 3 after two relapses due to alcohol. longest stretch was a month...

Longest stretch for me was a year. Starting back up? Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Last night, I was sitting by my fire pit at my new house, making sure I stayed upwind (the smell of any kind of smoke now makes me gag), sucking down one Heineken after another, and when my wife came up with a smoke, I walked away from her.

All that time of smoking, and now I can't even kiss a smoker, wife included. Yuk!

took 3 days just to get the nasty sik feeling out of my throat and sinuses

Hear ya there!
It's your life, live it!

Longest stretch for me was a year. Starting back up? Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

2 and a half years for me at this point. I pray to god I never get that stupid thought in my head "Well 1 isnt gonna kill me..."
Nope, it wont. But the 273649 that follow it just might.

if you mess up and start smoking dont cave and start smoking full time again. It's ok to mess up, just become more determined next time you WILL NOT mess up. Its great to finally kick the habit and look back 2 years later and laugh at the thought of a cigarette.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

yea. I dont think anyone ever quit on the first try.(no Im not gonna research those stats! :P)

its a learning thing. you have to LEARN how do quit that kinda addiction!
I was trying to quit since I started! I was 16 when I started and almost 26 when I quit. funny thing is..I started when I visited georgia on my 16th b-day and I quit while I was stationed in georgia.
I put that thought in my head....to leave it there!:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

yea. I dont think anyone ever quit on the first try.(no Im not gonna research those stats!)

1st time I quit (for a year) was pre-skydiving. Showed up for bowling leagues (2, one night) and realized I had 4 smokes left. After much ridicule by my friends (about how I was gonna end up paying almost 5 bucks a pack to buy them in the bar), I decided that was enough. And it was, for a year.

This time, pneumonia got me. I open my eyes at work the morning of June 30th. I realized I was taking tiny, tiny, tiny little puffs on a smoke, to be able to get it in my lungs. Even these tiny little puffs would send me into a 4 or 5 minute coughing fit. So, I would end up with the equilivent of about 2 good drags of smoke for eack cig I lit.

I asked myself why I was killing myself like this, again. I couldn't think of an answer, so I tossed the smokes (and my Harley Zippo) out the window at 65 mph. Not looking back either. I want them, sure, but I don't need them, nor do I crave them anymore. They are as outta my life as my ex is!

So, yea, that's twice on the first try. ;)
It's your life, live it!

Wooooohooo! Congrats! I'm proud of you! I'm sitting here looking at my first 24 hours without a smoke and it's driving me nuts.

Seeing your post gave me the extra discipline I needed right about then.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Zilla.

you know, the worst part abou tthat was tossing the zippo!:D

I never had a zippo b/c I knew Id lose the damn thing! LOL
I bought cheap copies of zippos....often! HAHA!
yea everytime I was sick I would quit b/c the tasted like liquid ass.

btw- since I quit I have rarely been sick. its does serious damage to your system. I was ALWAYS active- so the exercise is nothing new/ doesnt have much to do with my health improvement.
My photos

My Videos

All that time of smoking, and now I can't even kiss a smoker, wife included.

It must be even harder to quit when your wife still smokes. My mom still smokes but my Dad had to quit smoking. He had a heart attack a few months ago and was pretty much told if he wanted to live, he would quit smoking. I know it was incredibly hard for him to quit cold turkey. This is a man that used to smoke about 2 packs a day. I couldn't be more proud of him for making the right choice though.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Here's what works for me.

Quite simple, actually.

You're gonna kick yourself in the ass when you see how easy it is.

Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Forget about smoking (really, I mean it, when you want a smoke, do something, anything).

Smoking is a habit, not an addiction. Nicotine is addictive, but hell, getting one good nights rest rids your body of almost all of it. The habit, that's the tough part.

Want a smoke? Go for a walk.

Want a smoke? Check DZ.com.

Want a smoke? Call your mother.

Want a smoke? Eat something healthy.

15 minute smoke break at work? Why call it a smoke break? You don't smoke! What do the other non-smokers call it? Hint, read above, pick and do one. Now it's a walk/snack/phone call, ect break.

Sounds too good to be true? Well, I'm proof that it works. Break the habit and you break the addiction. Treat the addiction (gum, patch, whatever) and the underlying habit is still there, knawing away.
It's your life, live it!

Wooooohooo! Congrats! I'm proud of you! I'm sitting here looking at my first 24 hours without a smoke and it's driving me nuts.

Seeing your post gave me the extra discipline I needed right about then.

Keep up the great work!!!!

Zilla.

maybe this'll help ,too
quit
My photos

My Videos

awesome advice jim
sounds like youve got it figured out....now dont forget about it.
through experience I will tell you..there will be some odd cravings. they wont be as often but at the oddest times it will feel like a truck just parked on your chest and you will want the smoke!

dont be a pussy! youve gone this far. that urge will go away as asoon as you follow your own advice and DO SOMETHING ELSE
PUSH UPS
SIT UPS
DRINK WATER
KILL A STANGER. whatever works!:D
they will get few and far between but they wont go away completely for a few months. all in all its easier form here on out but those few seconds of craving is when most people go back[:/]
My photos

My Videos

Thanks to you both Rev and JT for the suggestions. . . I guess I'm already doing much of what you suggest with Mind over matter. I keep reasoning myself out of a cigarette today===
Everytime I want one I remind myself how good it will be to start running again or how nice it is that it doesn't taste like someone shat in my mout (lol), etc, etc,

Belive me - I've been on quite a few walks today - drank several liters of water, and read the heck out of DZ.com! :)

Thanks again!