packrat570

Pricing of used gear

I have noticed in the Classifieds that many people don't know any value of what they are trying to sell. For instance, an expired reserve with rides on it for $900 is ridiculous. If you have any questions of how much your gear is worth, please speak to a rigger to get an idea of what you can expect to get for your gear. EX. Main canopies should have $1/jump $100/year deducted from it. Also look at the condition of the canopy. If your canopy has patches, needs a new line set, sun bleached badly...etc, this will also devalue the canopy. You can ask however much you want for gear but having a fair price gives you a much better chance at selling your gear and moving onto what you need.
Respect comes with experience, not the size of your gear

you know what also kills me ?

People who call 20+ year old gear expired (I am assuming you are referring to a 1991 PDR in your post). Please state the regulation or manufacturer requirement.

Ditto. In fact, if anyone has a 20yr old PD-R they want to get rid of, feel free to send it my way :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

That was just an example. I've also seen a sabre 2 150 for sale about a month ago that had 700 jumps and needed a new line set and the person was asking $1850 USD for it. I just see a lot of people who don't understand how to value gear, which on the other side could be bad for them when they want to buy used gear. I just think people should get some more knowledge about value before buying or selling gear.
Respect comes with experience, not the size of your gear

That was just an example. I've also seen a sabre 2 150 for sale about a month ago that had 700 jumps and needed a new line set and the person was asking $1850 USD for it. I just see a lot of people who don't understand how to value gear, which on the other side could be bad for them when they want to buy used gear. I just think people should get some more knowledge about value before buying or selling gear.

I agree with every part of your post but the reference to the expired gear, which I am ASSuming to mean 20+ years old.

But market has a great way of evening itself out. No one is going to be even remotely interested in the above mentioned Sabre2 at the asking price, so that should signal the seller that they need to lower their expectations.

Main canopies should have $1/jump $100/year deducted from it.

So if someone has a 10 year old, 800 jump Pilot for example, the used value is $50 based on chutingstar's price?

Sorry, I'm bored and am nit-picking.

On the flipside to not knowing gear value, sometimes if someone is in the right place at the right time, they can pick up an absolute bargain. For example I picked up a 5 year old canopy with about 70 jumps on it for £715 (or about $1150), which is maybe only a slight bargain in the US, but as that was from an EU country so all VAT and tax had been paid as I'm in the UK, it was a significant saving.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

That's why I bought new. Couldn't wait for a bargain to just fall in my lap and what some people want for their stuff is nuts. I check the classified every day. Looking for a pilot or Safire2 188/189. Well I will buy new since I won't give someone $1800 for a "used" canopy with 200 jumps when I can buy brand new for $50-$150 more and for exactly what I like. When I sell my old canopy I will make it a sweet deal for someone. Just rather get rid of it then hold out for top $. Just my two cents.;)

That's why I bought new. Couldn't wait for a bargain to just fall in my lap and what some people want for their stuff is nuts. I check the classified every day. Looking for a pilot or Safire2 188/189. Well I will buy new since I won't give someone $1800 for a "used" canopy with 200 jumps when I can buy brand new for $50-$150 more and for exactly what I like. When I sell my old canopy I will make it a sweet deal for someone. Just rather get rid of it then hold out for top $. Just my two cents.;)

Because the person that put 200 jumps on that canopy broke it in for you? ;) I agree that a canopy that's nearly-new that's priced close to new price means you might as well get new, but a canopy with 200 jumps should probably have more of a discount to it (but maybe the seller can afford to wait and see if they can get that price. More power to them).

Maybe I've just had fortunate timing, but I've never had trouble finding fair deals on used gear, and I've even happened upon one truly amazing one (but that wasn't on the classifieds, it was just a random conversation on the DZ on a day when I just happened to have my checkbook with me so I could say "I'll write you a check NOW" to lock in the killer deal). In putting together my original rig, the only thing I bought new was the AAD and I got a good price for the other three components given their age and condition. The pieces that I've since sold and replaced (the main and reserve) have held their value quite well. I don't think that would have been the case if I'd bought them new, because there's that immediate "new car depreciation."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That's cool how it worked out for you. You said new car depreciation but some things in the classifieds don't reflect that at all. Nothing wrong with that but usually it's all about how the market for a particular item is. Right now in the classifieds there is a Sabre2 210 for $1800 with 200 jumps so they claim not like canopies have odometers..lol. I have received quotes for just for same canopy brand new for $150 more than that. Granted that's asking price. Now if they asked $1600 that would make a difference. True about breaking it in!! Not looking forward to that..well just the packing part anyway:)

That's cool how it worked out for you. You said new car depreciation but some things in the classifieds don't reflect that at all. Nothing wrong with that but usually it's all about how the market for a particular item is. Right now in the classifieds there is a Sabre2 210 for $1800 with 200 jumps so they claim not like canopies have odometers..lol. I have received quotes for just for same canopy brand new for $150 more than that. Granted that's asking price. Now if they asked $1600 that would make a difference. True about breaking it in!! Not looking forward to that..well just the packing part anyway:)

Yeah, absolutely, it really *should* reflect that. That seller might get that price, but most people who are taking an informed look will probably come to the same conclusion you have, which is that for a slight increase in price, you can get brand new. The canopies I've bought in the 100-200 jump range have reflected a more significant (400-500ish) discount off of current new prices. That's worth it to me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke