wingit

Psycho Pack Q's

Hi,

Ive just picked up a slipery new safire 2 canopy. Ive tried pro packing it with no luck at all getting it into the bag.

Did some research online and found out about psycho packing but no one packs like this at the dz i jump at.

Ive tried packing it like this and it gets in the bag so easy!

But when I fold the tail into the triangle over the nose ive noticed that the 2 inside control lines (ones closest to the centre cell attached to the tail) go over the whole pack job aka nose. Is this normal? Im thinking it may give me a line over or am I wrong? I haven't jumped it yet. Not really keen on chopping it on the first jump with it!

Ive gone through the online instructions a few times but it doesn't mention anything. So Im guessing im doing something wrong (though it may be right?)

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Steve

Take it to the packers at your DZ and have them give you packing help. Look up PD's packing videos where they pack the big Nav-260, that's how I've packed my Safire2 since new and my packjobs are always neater than the guys with the old ragged out canopies. ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi,

Ive just picked up a slipery new safire 2 canopy. Ive tried pro packing it with no luck at all getting it into the bag.

Did some research online and found out about psycho packing but no one packs like this at the dz i jump at.

Ive tried packing it like this and it gets in the bag so easy!

But when I fold the tail into the triangle over the nose ive noticed that the 2 inside control lines (ones closest to the centre cell attached to the tail) go over the whole pack job aka nose. Is this normal? Im thinking it may give me a line over or am I wrong? I haven't jumped it yet. Not really keen on chopping it on the first jump with it!

Ive gone through the online instructions a few times but it doesn't mention anything. So Im guessing im doing something wrong (though it may be right?)

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Steve

Here is a great link there are video links at the bottom... http://www.precision.aero/packing.htm

First, is your problem gettnig it in the bag, or closing the container? I definitely experienced both, PM me if you want some of the tips I use for both. Here is what I generally did to overcome this issue.

I had this exact same problem getting my safire2 189 into my mirage m6 bag/container. Here are a couple of packing tips I use.

1.) I use PD method of folding the sides underneath while laying down on the canopy.

2.) When making the S folds make sure to keep one need on oneside of the folds and the other directly behind where the slider is to keep the bottom S fold in place.

3.) After cleaning up the the last S fold I try to hold the the entire pack job together by placing my hand on the last S fold to hold it in place and kind of pinch it together. (This helps me get the first corner in the bag more easily).

4.) Make sure the corners of the packjob are in the corners of the bag.

5.) When putting the container in the bag make sure the corners of the bag are in the corners of the container. Then put your knees on the bag while its in the container and quickly close the first flap.

Many blisters, lots of sweat, and many hours of work, and I can actually enjoyably jump and pack my gear :)

Stearny

I psycho pack all the time, pretty much all I have ever done. With a new canopy it is much easier, to me anyway.

When I do it I kneel close to the grommets for the slider to keep everything where I want it to be. In the videos I believe they do it from the top side of the canopy instead of the bottom like I do. I have not had any issues and I used to pack student and tandems that way as well.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appriciated!B|

The PD pack is the one im having dramas getting it into the bag. (as soon as i start the s fold it goes everywhere, even with the reverse s) Im wanting to eventually pack like that but cant with the new canopy atm. Im heading to the dz in a minute to pick up some pointers and work on it.

Ill try and upload some photo's when i get back with the line issue im having.

Ive been using the precision pack (precision aerodynamics), the icarus psycho pack, the youtube 2 vid psycho pack, the other dirty psycho pack on youtube with step by step instructions and the pd pro pack clips.

Not sure about your two control lines, but I've been psycho packing for a few months with an older Fusion 150 that is pretty slippery still. I had the same problems you are having with the brand new canopy and could never control it enough to do a normal propack, but with the psycho method I have no problem getting the air out and rolling it into the bag. Also, I've had very nice soft openings, too.

For best results, after I fold over the two sides of the tail, I kneel on the canopy around mid-point and roll the canopy down towards my knees, then move my knees to the grommet area and continue rolling, thereby keeping pressure on the bottom of the canopy at all times till its rolled up.

Hope this helps some.

Nice! What canopy do you have?

Is the fusion a 9 cell? Ive heard the opening are ment to be better with the psycho pack.

I went to the dz and showed them what im talking about. She said it definately doesn't look right and showed me some tricks with the pro pack. Im putting too much weight on it when i do the s folds (102kgs is too much). They were very helpfull and got it in the bag for me and i got to jump it B|. Was a very nice on heading opening too! I didnt take any photo's as it was a rush to get on a load. Still in the same boat with the psycho pack though. Ill pull it apart tonight and take some photos after work. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers

I've had that line showing a few times too, not sure why it does that sometimes though. I suspect it has to do with how well you get the wrinkles out of the topskin that's under the triangle, before you fold it into thirds. When that happens to me I open it back up to the triangle stage, straighten evrything back up, and refold it.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I've got a brand new ZPX Pilot, which is supposed to be easy to pack brand new (it ain't) and supposed to fit a whole size smaller (so far, it don't). I used to psycho pack a PD Spectre some years ago and always had good openings, so I decided to hell with it, let's do it again. Openings have been just fine and grabbing a rolled up canopy in one hand and stuffing it into the bag is super easy. Oddly enough, I still prefer the pro-pack, but that's probably because so many people make such a godawful stink about psycho packing. But I think it works just fine, especially for a snotty brand new canopy, so by all means, go for it !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !