skydiverek

Low wingsuit pull, line-twist landing: Video

Wow! Wonder what canopy he was jumping? it could have been a whole lot worse if that was a highly loaded a fully elliptical. but it was his own fault for humming it that low .buzzing by other ( i'm assuming unsuspecting) canopies. boy would i have been pissed if that was me.>:( but if we had planned it before hand B| but surely ther is no way he told everybody on the load. " i'm gonna fly thru all the canopies and dump really low cool? " and then pitch while he was turning the wingsuit 180 degrees. I could be wrong but it appeared to me that by gripping the risers together while kicking out of the line twist he untwisted the suspension lines but put the twist into the risers. but good job by him of landing it uninjured

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

... while kicking out of the line twist he untwisted the suspension lines but put the twist into the risers. but good job by him of landing it uninjured

That's quite an accepted technique. In theory it allows the canopy to spread more and fly giving you more control and potentially releasing the trapped brake lines.

In theory, again, bringing the twists down to the risers allows the spread canopy to pull the risers apart much more effectively than the jumper can do from below so if he had let go and got small he may have simply spun and unwound the line twists.

However, I don't suppose he wanted to try letting go and seeing what would happen as he was trying to land the canopy by that stage.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

That was lowish indeed. One first sees the canopy snivelling overhead at :42, and he's on the ground at 1:55, 1 min 13 sec later, with an apparently medium sized canopy flying mostly straight in brakes.

Although the untwisting largely stopped when the lines untwisted to the point where "they hit the risers", he was able to untwist a little more to clear the toggles.

That was nice as it allowed him to rear riser turn presumably somewhat into wind for a softer landing (facing out to sea at Dillingham).

He also used the brake lines above the still set toggles to get a little flare, although the initial airspeed wouldn't have made for a good flare. I figure he would have had time to pop the toggles, letting the canopy dive for airspeed and still flare, but he probably didn't want to muck with things much at that point.

(I once landed hanging sideways with twists on a big old canopy due to a CRW wrap. The other guy's jettisoned and deflated main was still trailing from the risers - I was through a few lines of it. At least once I got my head back through the twists I could find the toggles above the twists, and flare somewhat normally.)

(in a WS) I have had great success if the canopy is inflated and stable but twisted up, to leave my arms zipped up and extend the correct arm perpendicular to the relative wind, so that the wind pushing on the armwing drives me around to untwist. Out with the left, in with the left, out with the right, in with the right, and so on. Very quickly you can get untwisted without any other tricks.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

A few years back tandem manufacturers tried to ban "buzzing" tandems because of the high risk of collision. Why did this fool repeat that foolish practice around solo canopies. A toggle-stab by any of those solo canopies would have put them on a collision course with the wing-suit.

riggerrob

A few years back tandem manufacturers tried to ban "buzzing" tandems because of the high risk of collision. Why did this fool repeat that foolish practice around solo canopies.

I wonder if they knew he was going to do that, and if he had their permission to do so?

dthames

(in a WS) I have had great success if the canopy is inflated and stable but twisted up, to leave my arms zipped up and extend the correct arm perpendicular to the relative wind, so that the wind pushing on the armwing drives me around to untwist. Out with the left, in with the left, out with the right, in with the right, and so on. Very quickly you can get untwisted without any other tricks.

This. I can get out of twists way faster in a WS than without. Just "fly" your way out of them. Very easy and quick.
Apex BASE

So he buzzes past canopies in flight, pulls low, doesn't chop when he should and can't kick out line twists (that were admittedly excessive). The only thing he did right was reach his rear line groups to affect a half assed flare.

In the end he concludes "F'ing line twists bro". If this sky-god thinks line twists were his problem then he learned nothing. Try not to kill anyone else when you bounce, and please place your crater as far away from the tandem PAX as possible please, we don't want to upset the tourists.