Priceless

Vigil 2

I recently purchased a Vigil 2 for my rig. Most of the time it is turns off by the next day (I think its supposed to be after 14 hours). It has happend twice that it was still turned on when I arrived at the DZ three days after my last jump. I jumped it yesterday and its turned off today. I am wondering, has anybody else has had any similar issues? I'm keeping an eye on it, but any good feedback would be helpful.

From Vigil 2 manual page #21

"As long as your Vigil is not measuring the switch on pressure or its “ground zero”
reference (at ±150ft or ± 46m) it will stay airborne and will not switch off even after 14
hours. This as long as the “ground zero” reference pressure (at ±150ft or ± 46m) is not
measured. Therefore, you need to switch off your Vigil before any move to another
location and switch on your Vigil at the new dropzone to implement the new “ground
zero” reference."

Every time you buy some life saving equipment, READ and UNDERSTAND the manual.

All best
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Just because I am the curious type and had to go look... here is (what I think) you are referring to...

"As long as your Vigil is not measuring the switch on pressure or its “ground zero”
reference (at ±150ft or ± 46m) it will stay airborne and will not switch off even after 14
hours. This as long as the “ground zero” reference pressure (at ±150ft or ± 46m) is not
measured. Therefore, you need to switch off your Vigil before any move to another
location and switch on your Vigil at the new dropzone to implement the new “ground
zero” reference."

Read the manuals for all your gear. If you don't have them you can probably find them online at the manufacturer's websites or at http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk/cms/index.php?/files/ or http://parachutemanuals.com/

Make sure your have the one that is appropriate for your gear. Sometimes it's the latest one. For skydiving gear it's more likely the one that was in place when your gear was manufactured.

There is maintenance in these that you should do, operating descriptions, packing descriptions and other good info.

And reread the Vigil manual several more times.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Although the OP question has already been answered I feel a far better approach would have been to power off 14h after the last change in pressure.

I believe i brought this up with AAD a few years ago but was told that the unit has enough power and low enough drain to run continuously for several years.

-Michael

The Vigil and the Cypres behave a little differently in this respect, but the simple solution is to power off the AAD when you leave the DZ and power it on when you get to the DZ. The really dangerous scenario is if you jump at one DZ, then go to another at a different altitude without resetting the "ground zero" on the AAD.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

A problem with this scheme is the following:
You jump late in the evening, so the unit detects a pressure change. (And extends it shutoff time 14 hours)
In the morning, you take your rigg and look at the display which sais that the unit is on.
While walking to the plane, you pass the 14 hour limit and the device now shuts off without you knowing it.

regards,
Stefan

If your AAD is already on when you look at it before your first jump of the day, simply turn it off and restart it.

Don't you think this defeats the entire purpose of having your AAD prolong its on time by 14 hours every time it senses a pressure change?

All I tried to say was that having the AAD try to be smart is not useful as _everyone_ has to apply the method you just described just to be on the safe side. Then it is better to keep the AAD dumb to avoid potential misunderstandings. Keep in mind that the AAD is handled by humans and programmed by humans and neither are flawless. Better keep things as simple as possible to keep Murphy away.

The Vigil and the Cypres behave a little differently in this respect, but the simple solution is to power off the AAD when you leave the DZ and power it on when you get to the DZ. The really dangerous scenario is if you jump at one DZ, then go to another at a different altitude without resetting the "ground zero" on the AAD.

I was at my DZ one day when a local jumper in for a reserve repack. This exact thing happened to him. He didn't turn off his vigil and jumped at a higher elevation DZ and had a reserve fire at about 7 grand. I ALWAYS turn off ALL of my gear at the end of the day. Why not right?!
Stearny

I was at my DZ one day when a local jumper in for a reserve repack. This exact thing happened to him. He didn't turn off his vigil and jumped at a higher elevation DZ and had a reserve fire at about 7 grand. ...

... works as designed ?!!!!
rtfm! understand! and it won't happen...