SEREJumper

What to do if your rig/gear is stolen.

This may be a no brainer for some, but for others they may not have thought about it. Just some ideas since I didn't find anything in a search.

1. Write down and keep in a safe place your serial numbers for each component that you own, do this BEFORE it gets lost/stolen. Don't forget altimeters and other items of value. If it doesn't have a serial number, like a helmet, grab an etcher/ sharp tool and make one on the inside. Stickers can always be removed from helmets.

2. Take pictures of everything and keep them in a safe place. Know the colors of your canopies.

3. As soon as you find out your stuff is stolen/missing, first file a police report in the location were it was lost/stolen, without serial numbers though, it will be near impossible for the police to search for the item in their systems. If stolen from your car, you may not want to move it since you could be disturbing possible evidence.

4. Get online and get the word out! Without serial numbers, some databases may not let you post your information. A few places to do this are:

- Gear manufactures
- DZ.com http://www.dropzone.com/stolen/
- USPA will list for free any serial numbered item in Parachutist magazine and its searchable online database http://www.uspa.org/NewsEvents/StolenGear/tabid/127/Default.aspx
- Skydive KY http://www.skydiveky.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=133
- Get on Facebook/ social media sites with skydiving groups and make a post with your info.
- Call local dropzones or dropzones in the general area that the perp could try to sell your gear at.

5. Cruise Craigslist/Backpage/Ebay and other free listing sites to see if it pops up. I would recommend that you DO NOT post a "Hey my stuff was stolen" on these public sites because the perp might get scared and toss your gear in the trash to avoid getting caught. If you see the ad, contact the local authorities first (but I know what most people would do!).

6. If you do recover your stuff, make a list of all the places you called/ posted to about your stuff and ensure they know that it has been found.

Here is another good article that USPA has published on the subject:

http://parachutistonline.com/feature/dont-be-a-victim--protecting-yourself-from-gear-theft
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

What if it's stolen during freefall?

Then you've got bigger problems. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

about 11 years ago, i had my gear bag stolen out of a car. i had to get a police report, i had pics of my stuff, and serial #`s of the big stuff. i was lucky enough to have my house insurance cover it. it was a claim over $8000. its sucked because it was in the middle of jumping season, but i ended up with brand new stuff!
losing a couple vhs tapes and log books that could never be replaced was the worst part. dealing with the insurance guy was easy with the pics and serial #`s, and i had to get replacement quotes from 3 diff dealers.

i f i didn`t have the pics and serial stuff, i think the insurance company would have tried to not replace some stuff...

i did look at the local pawn shops, but i dont think a pawn dealer would take a rig...

This may be a no brainer for some, but for others they may not have thought about it. Just some ideas since I didn't find anything in a search.

1. Write down and keep in a safe place your serial numbers for each component that you own, do this BEFORE it gets lost/stolen. Don't forget altimeters and other items of value. If it doesn't have a serial number, like a helmet, grab an etcher/ sharp tool and make one on the inside. Stickers can always be removed from helmets.

2. Take pictures of everything and keep them in a safe place. Know the colors of your canopies.

3. As soon as you find out your stuff is stolen/missing, first file a police report in the location were it was lost/stolen, without serial numbers though, it will be near impossible for the police to search for the item in their systems. If stolen from your car, you may not want to move it since you could be disturbing possible evidence.

4. Get online and get the word out! Without serial numbers, some databases may not let you post your information. A few places to do this are:

- Gear manufactures
- DZ.com http://www.dropzone.com/stolen/
- USPA will list for free any serial numbered item in Parachutist magazine and its searchable online database http://www.uspa.org/NewsEvents/StolenGear/tabid/127/Default.aspx
- Skydive KY http://www.skydiveky.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=133
- Get on Facebook/ social media sites with skydiving groups and make a post with your info.
- Call local dropzones or dropzones in the general area that the perp could try to sell your gear at.

5. Cruise Craigslist/Backpage/Ebay and other free listing sites to see if it pops up. I would recommend that you DO NOT post a "Hey my stuff was stolen" on these public sites because the perp might get scared and toss your gear in the trash to avoid getting caught. If you see the ad, contact the local authorities first (but I know what most people would do!).

6. If you do recover your stuff, make a list of all the places you called/ posted to about your stuff and ensure they know that it has been found.

Here is another good article that USPA has published on the subject:

http://parachutistonline.com/feature/dont-be-a-victim--protecting-yourself-from-gear-theft

Right on target.
Might mention that if you have an AAD; to send the S/N to the manufacturer.

Sidebar: My girlfriend did this when her gear was stolen.
Police Officer pulls over a car for DUI, asks them to open the trunk.
Cop sees the rig, helmet, suit, etc. sans logbook and happens to be a (less than 100 jumps) new skydiver.
Busted.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

happens to be a (less than 100 jumps) new skydiver.
Busted.

The name of such a jerk should be placed on a black list available on all dropzones together with his mugshot. His bad if he dares to turn up somewhere - that's begging for a good spank then. ;)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

happens to be a (less than 100 jumps) new skydiver.
Busted.

The name of such a jerk should be placed on a black list available on all dropzones together with his mugshot. His bad if he dares to turn up somewhere - that's begging for a good spank then. ;)

He was a third time felon and fess'd up to a dozen or so Xmas snatch & grabs. Last I heard he got six years in Big Mac. I'm sure the beatings began not long after his arrival. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If your car & gear goes missing make sure in the haste of dealing with finding serial numbers and photos and putting it up in the stolen gear database you don't accidentially post the wrong serial number. Potentially in this situation you could be sued if the owner of the gear with that serial number feels it hurt his reputation.

Of course this is purely speculation of what could happen if you were in this position but it highlights the importance of accuracy in this sort of issue.

-Michael